This 6 days best-planned trip to Kerala – this package can be narrated like this. This is the best package that starts from Kochi covering most of the attractive places in Kerala – Munnar hill station, Alleppey backwaters, and the best beach in Kerala ie Kovalam along with Trivandrum and Kanyakumari sightseeing. More details about the Kerala Kanyakumari tour package is below and know about the destination of visit, itinerary, etc are below.
Munnar Hill Station- Kashmir of South India:
Munnar is a beautiful hill station to enjoy long holidays. It is famous for its lush green mountains and tea plantations. Munnar is having a pleasant atmosphere throughout the year. So, Tourists can visit here in any season. Get more details About Munnar.
If you want to enjoy the real beauty of Kerala, then plan a trip to Alleppey houseboat. Going through the backwaters of Alleppey will give you the best experience of life. Know more about Alleppey backwaters and houseboat.
Trivandrum – Capital of Kerala:
Trivandrum is one of the major tourist destinations of Kerala. It is well known for Padmanabhaswamy temple – Richest temple of the world. Apart from this temple, There are many other places to visit in Trivandrum which will worth your Trivandrum visit. Know detail about Trivandrum tourist places.
Kovalam is famous for its mesmerizing beaches. These beaches attract a number of westerners throughout the year. Tourists can take the experience of beach adventure and water sports at Kovalam. Kovalam has amazing hotels and resorts to stay in. Get information regarding the best hotels and resorts of Kovalam.
Kanyakumari is located in Tamilnadu state. It is famous for its sunrise and sunset viewpoint over the water. Kanyakumari is a place where three oceans meet. These three are the Bay of Bengal, the Arabian Sea, and the Indian Ocean. Tourists from all over the world visit here throughout the year. Also, people who are leaving nearby places, visit here and spent one day trip. Check out our day trip Kanyakumari package from Trivandrum and Kovalam.
How to Reach:
1) Arrival by Flight –
Kochi (Cochin) International airport is the arrival destination for those who are coming by Flight.
2) Arrival by Train/Bus –
The best suitable railway station / Bus stand is Aluva. You can also come to Ernakulam Jn Rly station (ERS or ERN). Since the city has traffic problems, after arrival moving out of Kochi city during busy hours takes too much time. Ernakulum is also having an interstate bus terminal called Vyttila. Those who are coming by Volvo bus from nearby places like Hyderabad, Bangalore, and Chennai, arrival destination should be at Aluva or Vyttila. You can also come directly to Munnar by Volvo bus and our pick up service is available.
3) Departure by Flight –
The best and suitable airport for departure is Trivandrum. Kochi is 260kms and it takes 7hrs by road.
4) Departure by Train/Bus –
The best suitable railway station for departure is Trivandrum Central or Kochuveli railway station. Trivandrum central bus terminal where you can get interstate buses.
Arrival and Departure time:
We always recommend reaching before 9 am so that according to our sightseeing plan, this trip can be smooth. Your departure convenient for this package is any time after 4 pm.
3 Highlights of this Tour Package:-
- Well experienced behaved driver cum guide for the trip.
- One Kathakali and Kalaripayattu entry is included either at Munnar.
- One plantation tour at Munnar.
Day 1: Kochi to Munnar
Arrival at Kochi, our representative will meet, receive, and transfer to Munnar. It takes approximately 3.5 hrs to cover 148 km. On the way to Munnar, you can have your lunch at Onnukal, where veg and non-veg restaurants. These restaurants provide additional services like free restrooms.
On the way, you can see below waterfalls. You can spend some time there and then proceed to Munnar.
1) Cheeyappara Waterfalls:
This is located on the Kochi – Munnar highway on the left side of the road. This is a good place to have photos, but no bathing is allowed as rocks used to slippery. There is no entry fee or parking fee that needs to be given. There are couples of small shops selling local food items. 15-20 mins halt is recommended.
2) Valara Waterfalls:
After Cheeyappara you can see another waterfall on the right side. You cannot see this nearby. We do not recommend even a photo stop as this is not so important waterfalls.
After the sightseeing, you can proceed directly to your hotel. If you do not want to go direct to Munnar hotel and need some sightseeing or activities, we recommend Dreamland Fun Park. Since its a little bit far off, we suggest you go this fist and then to Hotel for check-in. You can also see Kerala martial art (Kalaripayattu) and art form (Kathakali) today evening since there is enough time.
Spice Plantation Tour or spice walk:
Many private owners cultivate ayurvedic medicinal plants in their courtyard either for selling these to companies or for passion. Most of them have either three or max ten varieties of plants with them. When the tourism, as well as Ayurveda, was growing, some of these planters start growing more varieties of plants and then this courtyard or cultivation area has been converted to a spice plantation tour and start allowing the tourist to know about the different variety of medicinal as well as other plants available in India. Entry is restricted with entry fee and on entry, you will be provided with a personal guide to explain to you about each plant and its medicinal value. At the end of the spice walk, the guide will take you to a small hall where they explain about the medicine available for different ailments.
Tips for Plantation tour-
- Since all these spice plantations own and operated by private parties, you need to pay an entry fee of minimum Rs 200 each.
- Open at 7 am, you can visit any time. Approximate time for this tour is minimum an hr and a maximum 1.5hrs.
- The main aim of these spice walk or plantation visits is to sell ayurvedic medicins. Therefore, your guide may be insisting on buying these ayurvedic products. It is well-advised that better you consult a doctor before buying the medicines from spice plantation.
1) Dreamland Fun & Adventure Park:
This is located 16 km away from Munnar a place called Anachal. This park is suitable for all the tourists especially honeymoon couples and family and kids. They have may activities for kids and adults separately. Kids will surely enjoy Trampoline and trampoline bungee jump and pedal boating. There are many activities for adults are available like horse riding, camel ride, hunting game, free fall, Burma bridge, hanging bridge, commando net, and many more. All these are with complete security in international standards. Entry fee starting from Rs 1000 and you can also choose different packages which cost you more. It takes a minimum of 2 hrs to complete the activities.
Dreamland visiting tips-
- Check their web site and see the activities. In case you are not interested, intimate the same in advance to the driver. This will save you time money.
- Ensure you should have good shoes in case you are going for any activities.
- Better to avoid during monsoon from Jun to mid of Aug.
- Restaurant available inside the dreamland.
- In case your arrival is midday or afternoon, you need to skip visiting this place as there is no time left.
2) About Kathakali and Kalaripayattu:
Image Showing Kathakali Artform
Kathakali is a famous art form and Kalaripayattu is a martial art of Kerala In most of the tourist destinations in Kerala, this kind of stage performance in an auditorium is conducted. There are two performance centers in Munnar. Punarjani which is located a little bit outside is the best one.
Image Showing Kalaripayattu Martial Art
Both these performances are of an hour each which started at 17:00 hrs and ending at 19:00 hrs. The entry fee is Rs 300 per person for each show.
Note: Check-in Hotel and overnight in a stay at Munnar.
Day 2: Munnar
Today we have planned a full day sightseeing of Munnar. Since there is just one day for the whole sightseeing, we suggest you keep the timing. B/F at the hotel and start the latest by 09:00 hrs. First half day we plan to cover all the sightseeing from Munnar town to Top station which includes Rose garden, Mattupetty Dam, Echo point, Kundala Lake, and Top Station. But we will be doing this on the reverse order as visiting Top Station or Kundala Dam is best during early or morning hrs. It takes approximately 50 mins to reach the top station from Munnar town.
1) Top Station – One of the Best Tourist Places of Munnar:
Located at 6410 ft MSL, Top Station is the second-highest elevated place in the whole Munnar. It takes approximately 45 mins to cover 18kms from Munnar town. The interesting story of Top Station is that the British built a railway line running from Chaya Bazar (near present Munnar town) to Drop Station (present Top Station). The train used to carry the tea leaves collected in the whole Munnar to Drop Station and from there by a cable car to down below the processing center. You can see the remains of this cable car at Top Station even now. Visiting top station, you will get the best experience with regard to the view of mountains towards Kulukkumali, fog, mist, and chilled climate Interestingly, the top station is not in Kerala but located in Tamil Nadu. We need to cross 1 km into Tamil Nadu state to reach this place.
Travel Tips to Visit Top Station-
- It opens at 06:00 hrs and closes at 17:00 hrs.
- An entry fee of Rs 25 for adults, Children Rs 15 and Rs 10 for foreigners will be charged.
- Those who have knee problems, heart diseases, breathing problems, and kids below 6 yrs should avoid this place as it involves too much walking by steps.
- We should have good shoes.
- The best time to visit is early morning or before 10 am.
- Should be avoided during monsoon ie from Jun to mid of Aug.
- If you are planning to visit Kolukkumali, Top station visits can be avoided.
- Handicapped persons, pregnant ladies, and wheel chairpersons cannot access this place.
2) Kundala Dam – Beautiful Dam in Munnar:
Kundala Dam was constructed for Pallivasal Hydro Electric Project in 1946 and considered to be Asia’s No 1 arch dam. This place is located between Top Station and Munnar town, therefore, it is easy for visiting. Considered as one of the best scenic spots for photography, you can also have activities like a pedal boat, speed boat, or shikhara kind of trip available in the lake.
Travel Tips to Visit Kundala Dam-
- Irrespective of any restrictions, tourists from all walks of life can access this place.
- Entry to this place is free. In case you want to have some activities like boating in lake, horse riding, etc, all these are available here which is chargeable.
- If you are doing any boating activity in any other lake in Munnar, this can be avoided.
- It takes hardly 15-20 mins here to experience, in case you do not need any other activities.
3) Echo Point: Best Place for Photography in Munnar:
This is nothing much important about this place. If you make a loud noise, your voice will return to you as you have a big hill just opposite of you after the lake. But more than that, this is one of the best places to have a photo of the lake close by. Entry to this place is restricted with an entry fee of Rs 20 per person.
4) Visit Beautiful Tea Plantations in Munnar:
On the way to Top station or while coming back to the city, you can see very scenic tea plantations. In case you want to visit, see or want to have photos, you can do this. There is no entry fee or charges need to pay. You should know that the whole Munnar is tea plantations and you can get good photos not necessarily from one particular place, but anywhere in Munnar.
5) Mattupetty Dam – Must Visit Tourist Spot in Munnar:
Mattupetty dam is located 13 km away from Munnar city towards Top station and it takes 20 mins to drive by road. Mattupetty can be narrated like a confluence of mountain, lake, and greenery. You will get the best photos and some breathtaking moments of your holiday. Unlike Kundala, Madupetty made elaborate arrangements for tourist comfort. It has a washroom, tourist facilitation center where coffee shop, snack bar, cowboy park, children park with swing, speed boat in the lake, etc available. The best experience of Mattupetty is first to go to the boating center or tourist facilitation center, if interested do the boating and come to the dam and take some of the best photos.
Travel Tips to Visit Mattupetty Dam-
- Try to walk from Kundala to Mattupetty dam and you can see tallest blue gum trees, in case you have time.
- You can skip in case you are coming from a place where there are lots of lakes and mountains.
- This place is accessible for all irrespective of handicapped or wheelchaired.
- Very good place for family with kids outing.
- This place is best for a small shopping for handicrafts and souvenirs.
- There are no restaurants available but hot noodles and local snacks are available. During holidays, weekends, and tourist season, this place is jam-packed. You may need to wait up to an hr to get boating tickets or Parking car.
- Take beautiful photos of the Mattupetty dam. After the boating travel to the dam, come out of the car from one end of the dam and walk to other ends. You can take good photos from the middle as vehicles are not allowed to park on the dam.
6) Rose Garden:
This is a kind of botanical garden maintained by the KTDC Floriculture Centre. Not only Roses but different varieties of flowers are available and a good place to have memorable photos. This garden is located 5kms away on the top station roadside and entry is restricted with an entry fee of Rs 50 per person.
Travel Tips to Visit Rose Garden-
- Since there are steps, handicapped or wheelchaired persons advised not to visit this place.
- A washroom facility is available for the public.
- You can buy favorite plants from the rose garden.
We expect this is over by 13:00 hrs and an hour lunch break is available. There are many vegs or non-veg restaurants available in Munnar city. Post lunch we are organizing a trip to Rajamali in Eravikulam National Park.
7) Eravikulam National Park: Sanctuary of Nilgiri Tahr:
Eravikulam national park having an area of 97 sq km is the first national park in Kerala. The Park protects endemic and endangered Nilgiri Tahr, a rare species of mountain goat, and its habitat. The park has the largest stretch of undisturbed shoal-grassland ecosystems in the western ghats. Anamudi which is 2695 meters in height is the highest peak south of Himalayas is located within this park. Before becoming a National Park, the area is the hunting reserve of the colonial tea planters. It takes approximately 30 mins drive to the entry point. On reaching the entry point, you need to show the online booking details or you can buy the tickets from this counter itself. From the ticket counter till the entry gate of Eravikulam, it’s almost 20 mins in a minibus which is being provided by the park. On reaching the entry points, you need to walk steep pathways for almost 40 mins to see the Nilgiri Thar and Anamudi Peak. This is also a good place to have good mountain photographs.
Travel Tips to Visit Eravikulam National Park-
- Book your tickets online.
- Entry ticket is Rs 125 for domestic tourists and Rs 400 for foreigners.
- Best time to visit in the early morning or afternoon.
- No food or water bottles allowed.
- The washroom is available for both gents and ladies.
- Not accessible by wheelchair.
- Cafeteria and snack bar available at the waiting place.
- To see the Nilgiri Thar and Anamudi peak, you need to hike approximately 40 mins. Those who have breathing problems should avoid this.
- Carry raincoat in rainy seasons. Umbrella is a must for all seasons.
- This park is closed during Feb and Mar for breeding and calving every year.
By the time you visit this park, it may be afternoon. You can come to Munnar town for small shopping. Departure for your hotel and check-in.
Travel Tips to Visit Munnar:
- On the way from Kochi to Munnar, we have included Valera and Cheeyappara waterfalls. Since these falls depend on raining water, these falls may be dry during summertime or if there is no rain.
- Dreamland – visit only if you are interested. If you already had been too good amusement parks, you can skip this.
- In case you are skipping Dreamland, you can go to Munnar city for a visit.
- We recommend you to visit the art center on Day 1 as you may not get time for the second day.
- During the tourist season, weekend and holidays, there will be a huge rush due to local guests. Sometimes this leads to a terrific traffic block and may trap for a couple of hrs. Therefore, ensure that you keep the timing mentioned in this program.
- The above program is not possible in case your hotel is too far off of Munnar like Adimali, Chinnakanal, Eeticity, Anachal, Kunjithanni, But SreesTours select and provide hotels which are located within Munnar only. Please go here to know where to stay in Munnar.
- If your trip is during Feb or Mar when the Eravikulam park is closed, you can visit a tea factory, Lockhart gap viewpoint, etc.
- All these programs may disrupt in case there is heavy rain. Visiting Top station or Eravikulam, during heavy monsoon is not possible.
- Apart from Hotels, there is a variety of other stay options available like Tree House, private pool villa, jacuzzi, and bathtub rooms, honeymoon cottage, resorts with a view to the tea plantation, tent, and camp stay.
- Apart from the standard sightseeing program mentioned above, you can also experience attractions or activities in Munnar. We recommend staying more days to experience all these.
- Sunrise at Top station.
- Off-road Jeep safari.
- Guided soft hiking of 2 hrs or hard hiking of 4 hrs and visit beautiful mountains, grasslands, and tea plantation.
- Guided hiking and camping in Swiss tents
This is the best place to buy Tea and coffee at a reasonable price.
Day 3: Munnar to Houseboat
Today you are going to experience stay in a Houseboat. It may take approx 5.5 hrs to drive by road to cover around 200 km. We always recommend starting the latest by 07:30 am so that you can comfortably reach houseboat by 13:00 hrs. Arrival and check-in houseboat.
1 Night Kumarakom-Alleppey Houseboat Trip Plan:
The below Houseboat backwater program has been designed for those who like to visit the best canals in and around Alleppey. Boarding Jetty in Kumarakom and alights at Alleppey Jetty.
Boarding Houseboat from Kumarakom Jetty at 13:00 hrs.
Check-in Houseboat at 12:00 hrs and houseboat make a trip through the biggest Vembanad lake. From 12:00 hrs to 17:30 hrs, the houseboat makes a trip through the below beautiful rivers and canals with an hour lunch break.
- Vembanadu lake – biggest freshwater lake.
- Punnamada Kayal – river famous for Nehru trophy boat race.
- SNDP canal – one of the smallest canal on this trip.
- Pamba river – almost 150 ft width river.
- Irumbanam Thod – best narrow canal
Evening Options and Activities in Houseboat:
- Fishing in the lake and backwaters. (most of the houseboats is always having a fishing road and you will surely get small fishes).
- The houseboat is having a tv and music system to enjoy some pictures. You can also bring your own to make your stay more comfortable.
Note: Overnight stay in Houseboat.
Important Points to Know About Houseboat Trip:
- Your houseboat trip inclusive with full board ie all the meals starting from lunch to B/F & mineral water.
- In case you are reaching late, all boats booked through Srees Tours will not stop for Lunch.
- In case you have allergic to any particular food, it should be notified well in advance.
- The houseboat menu is fixed and inclusive of Kerala local food. No continental or Chinese is available.
- You have the option of visiting a local sightseeing place by walking or walking through villages. The boatman will help you for the same. In case of late arrival, this is not possible.
- There are many ayurvedic massage centers are available where the houseboat is halting. We do not recommend having these massages during your houseboat stay as these are not properly licensed.
- We do not recommend buying extra fish or any other items from the local market. In case you are fond of a particular extra food, we will be ready to help you.
- You can skip staying in a houseboat and stay in a resort – this will cost the package with additional costs.
- Late Check-in Houseboat. In case of late check-in after 2 pm, we compensate this by avoiding 1hr lunch break and extending the trip till 18:00 hrs. Moreover, all houseboats booked through SreesTours have special consideration. In case of delayed check-in, check out cannot be extended after 09:00 hrs.
- Early Checkout from Houseboat ie checks out at 7 am or before needs to be notified in advance as accordingly night halting location needs to be changed.
- Paddy fields are available from Oct to Feb only.
- Big boats having more than 2 rooms and the top floor will not make a trip through Akkathara and Venattukadu canals.
- Dinner time is at 21:00 hrs and at 22:00 hrs the lobby will be closed.
- Smoking in Houseboats is prohibited.
- Liquor will not be provided by the service provider. But that guest who wants to consume liquor can bring their items and can be used in the boat. For those who cannot bring their stuff, SreesTours provide the same in the boat in the case ordered in advance with extra service charges.
- Night Halt of Houseboat. All the houseboat owners have their night halting-place. This cannot be changed in case the guest does not like the place.
- Requests like a sunset cruise, park houseboat to view the sunset, night halt in the middle of the lake or river, change location, etc will not be entertained
Day 4: Alleppey Houseboat to Kovalam beach
Get up early morning and have a nice sunrise in the houseboat. (this depends upon the climate and not available for all the bookings). The boat starts at 08:00 hrs and finally drops at 09:00 hrs at Jetty. During this one hr time, the houseboats make a trip through Chithira lake and the Vembanadu lake which is the biggest freshwater lake in Kerala. Check out from Houseboat. After check out from Houseboat you are proceeding to Kovalam which is approximately 5hrs by road. The main sightseeing on the way from Alleppey to Kovalam is Jatayu Earth Centre which is located on the roadside via Kottarakara. In case if you are interested to visit, it is advisable to have an early check out from the houseboat and proceed to the earth center.
Jatayu Earth’s Center:
Myth – Jatayu is an embodiment of valor and chivalry. Risking his life, he tried his best to save Sita from her abductor. Jatayu is a man-made sculpture constructed on a top of a hill. The statue is 200ft long, 150ft wide and 70 ft tall. This has entered the Guinness book of records as the “largest functional bird statue”.
Travel Tips to Visit Jatayu Earth’s Center-
- The entry fee is approx Rs 500 per person including tax.
- Not accessible by wheelchair.
- Approximate time to visit the sculpture and the museum is an hr and a half.
- One of the best places for photography.
Arrival at Kovalam, check-in hotel and relax till 15:30 hrs. Afternoon sightseeing planned as per the below schedule.
1) Vizhinjam Lighthouse:
Kovalam lighthouse is also called a Vizinjam lighthouse is located on the beachside of Kovalam. The tower is constructed cylindrically with a total height of 118 ft and 187 ft height from mean sea level. One needs to use the lift and steps to reach the observatory deck to have a good view. One can experience a good view of Kovalam beach, lighthouse beach, and the beautiful Arabian Sea. One of the best places for good photography.
Travel Tips to Visit Vizhinjam Lighthouse-
- Payment by the entry fee. Domestic tourist Rs 20, senior citizen and children Rs 10, foreign tourists Rs 50.
- Entry is available from 10:00 hrs till 13:00 hrs and 14:00 hrs to 18:00 hrs. Entry closes at 16:30 hrs.
- Closed on every Monday.
- Lift available from 1st floor to 3rd From the ground floor to 1st floor and 3rd floor to 4th floor you need to round shape steps to reach the top.
- Not advisable for people with knee problems.
- The best time to visit is in the morning at 10 am to avoid the rush in the evening. There will be too much rush during the weekend and holidays.
- Due to the menace of stray dogs, do not go alone for an early morning or evening walking on the beach.
2) Marine Research Aquarium:
This is located in Vizinjam, just a few minutes’ walk from Lighthouse beach. A small aquarium displaying some precious collection of marine life. The entry fee is Rs 20 and used to close on Monday. Since there is nothing important, visit this if you have spare time.
3) Lighthouse beach:
The entire Kovalam is on the Arabian seaside so you go anywhere, you can experience the beach. But there are only two beaches called lighthouse beach and Hawa beach (also called as eve beach) where you can have activities like scuba diving, swimming, jet sky, etc. Hawa beach is used by local fishermen and sand is black.
Travel Tips to Visit Lighthouse Beach-
- Swimming on the beach is not allowed after 18:30 hrs.
- During season or rush time, all the activities need to be booked in advance in case interested.
- Monsoon in Kerala starts during the 1st week of Jun till Aug end and the beach is not idle for swimming.
- Beach shakers and umbrellas available from Rs 200 onwards.
- Lifeguards and tourist police help available on the beach.
- Washroom available but NO bathing arrangement available.
- It will be crowded with local tourists during holidays and weekends.
- In case your hotel is not nearby, carry your extra towel, changing clothes, etc.
4) Hawa Beach:
Hawa beach – locally called Eves beach, is located just opposite the north side of the lighthouse beach. Compare to the lighthouse beach, this is a small black sand beach and not idle for swimming. This beach is overcrowded during weekend days by local tourists, no proper waste management by authorities, therefore, dirt is everywhere, fisherman keeps their items for the fishing like small wooden boats, diesel barrels, etc. Due to all these reasons, it’s advisable to skip this place or recommended having just visited the beach during your holiday.
Travel Tips to Visit Hawa Beach-
- Restaurants are not available on this beach.
- Lifeguards monitoring system available.
- Only a few sunbed and umbrella rentals on this beach.
- Water sports like Jetski, speed boat, and catamaran drive available in the boat.
- The best time to visit is early morning or afternoon.
- No washroom or bathing arrangements on this beach.
- This beach is having a paid vehicle parking area where ladies washrooms available.
Kovalam beach activities:
Beach is having many activities like swimming in lighthouse beach, scuba diving, surfing, speed boat, etc. In case interested these activate can be booked on arrival. Some of the items like scuba diving, windsurfing, etc need training and during your weekend holiday days, it may not be possible.
Note: Overnight stay in the Hotel.
Day 5: Kovalam to Kanyakumari Day trip
Kovalam to Kanyakumari One Day Trip:
Today is your full-day trip to Kanyakumari. Since we have a lot of sightseeing during the day trip, the best time to start is at 09:00 hrs. Below are the normal program and sightseeing on the way to Kanyakumari. In case if you do not want any sightseeing, you can skip and spend time in more attractive places.
1) Poovar mangrove forest boat trip:
To see the backwaters, lake, and bird watching. During this trip, you can also see the golden sand beach. This trip is for 1hr 15 mins exclusively private for the booking guest. The trip will give an experience of Poovar backwater, a variety of birds in the mangrove forests, etc. The average price of boating is Rs 2500 for 4 adults. You can skip this boating in case you are not interested.
2) Padmanabhapuram Palace:
This is also called a wooden palace is located on the way from Poovar to Kanyakumari. This palace has been constructed during 1601and rebuilt by Maharaja of Travancore during 1750. This is one of the best places to visit if you have interested in history or visiting palaces. Some of the interesting things about the palace are – this palace is the finest examples of Kerala architecture, completely constructed in wood, there is an underground passage from where the maharaja and family can escape in case of emergency, the clock tower in the palace is 300 yrs old and still working and the palace has a bathing pond similar to nowadays swimming pool. If you are not interested in old palaces, then you can skip visiting this place. It takes almost an hour to complete the trip.
3) Vattakottai Fort- Popular Tourist Spot of Kanyakumari:
Located approximately 7 km ahead of Kanyakumari from Nagarcoil, this fort has been constructed by the erstwhile Travancore kingdom during the 18th century. Since this fort is constructed to meet strategic purpose like surveillance, keeping arms and ammunition of the Kingdom, it’s in a circular shape – therefore called VattaKottai (Vattom means round, Kottai means Fort). Three things interest the visitors are the best view of the sea and beach from this fort, calm and quiet place to relax for some time and one of the best photoshoot places in Kanyakumari. If the above three are not worth for you, you can skip this place from your visiting itinerary. The best time to visit this place is either afternoon or morning time. Always carry water bottles as there are no shops around the place.
4) Vivekananda rock- Famous Monument in Kanyakumari:
On arrival, you will go straight to visit Vivekananda rock. This place is attributed to a belief that Swamy Vivekananda has attained enlightenment in this place. To visit Vivekananda rock, one needs to take a ferry from Kanyakumari Jetty to the rock which takes 5mins. You can see a meditation hall constructed on the rock as a memorial to Swamy Vivekananda. On reaching the rock, you can see Thiruvalluvar statue and Triveni Sangam. There are two types of boat tickets to Vivekananda rock is available. The ordinary ticket is @ Rs 37 per head and each person needs to stand in a queue. Only one ticket is given to one person. During the weekend, holidays or season time, you need to stand in the queue to get the tickets minimum one hr. Another option is the special ticket available. This cost Rs 107 per person and you will get this in max 10mins time. In this category, there is no restriction to buy the tickets.
5) Thiruvalluvar Statue:
This 133 ft tall stone statue is dedicated to famous Tamil poet Thiruvalluvar. This is constructed another rock island near to Vivekananda rock. Entry to this island is not available and you can best see this statue from Vivekananda rock.
6) Kanyakumari Beach:
Kanyakumari, earlier during British rule known as Cape Comorin is the southern tip of India. Surrounded by the Arabian Sea, Indian Ocean and Bay of Bengal, this is the place where you can see three seas joining together. The experience is the spectacular view of the blue arches green sea. It’s not necessarily come to Kanyakumari beach to see the beautiful blue sea, but you can see this when you go to Vivekananda rock, Gandhi Mandapam, Vattakottai, watchtower or sunset viewpoint or from your hotel also. The beach is not a sandy beach in Kanyakumari, but full of rocks, therefore, getting in the sea or swimming is not recommended.
7) Triveni Sangam- Unique Beach of India:
This is being called because, the Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal, and the Indian Ocean join together here.
8) Mahatma Gandhi Mandapam:
This is the place where Gandhi’s urn kept before taken to final disposition. The photos displayed gives a glimpse of Gandhi’s life and work. If you go to the top of the building, you can see a good view of the sea. Footwear is not allowed inside and needs to keep outside for which you need to pay a small amount. Comparing to other Gandhi memorials in different parts of the country, just visit this if you have time otherwise nothing important to see.
9) Observation Tower (View Tower)-
The tourism department has constructed an observation tower to view the sunset or sunrise. The tower is approx 100 meters in height has a spiral constructed walkway without any steps so that all age groups people can go up to the top by walking. You have a 360-degree view of the sea and nearby places. The best place for photography, therefore, must-visit.
10) Sunset View Point-
One can have a nice sunset view from this place which is located just walking distance from the Kanyakumari market. One of the best experiences during your Kanyakumari trip. You can walk from the city to this place or you can come by auto or your own transport. The authorities constructed adequate space and sitting arrangements where you can relax and see the sunset.
After sunset at Kanyakumari, you will be traveling back to Trivandrum via Suchindram. This is not mandatory for all the guests. Those who believe the Hindu religion can go to the temple for prayers.
The temple is located between Kanyakumari and Nagarcoil, therefore, it is easy to visit this temple who are visiting Kanyakumari. The main importance of the temple is that“Thrimoorthi” is placed in one sanctum sanctorum. Therefore this temple is also called STHANUMALAYAN (Sthanu- Shiva, Maal- Vishnu, Ayan – Brahma). Two best things apart from the religious aspect are that the beautiful gopuram is 134 ft height and a hanuman idol inside the temple is 18ft in height. Though it’s a famous Lord Shiva temple, Hanuman is also a deity.
Travel Tips to Visit Suchindram Temple-
- You need to remove your shirt before entering the temple.
- Ladies can wear pants, churidar, or saree.
- Special or normal darshan is available.
Note: Return back to Kovalam and overnight stay in a hotel
Day 6: Trivandrum
Trip of Trivandrum Tourist Places:
Today we have planned visit to Sree Padmanabha Swamy temple and half-day Trivandrum city sightseeing. This below sightseeing, except a visit to the temple, is not possible in case if your flight is before 1 pm. Early b/f and departure for Trivandrum by 08:30 hrs.
1) Sree Padmanabha Swamy Temple:
Padmanabha Swamy temple – Open at 3.30 am and darshan available till 11:30 pm. Evening it open at 4 pm and darshan available till 7.30 pm. Pants, Jeans, Bermuda, etc are not allowed inside. Gents need to remove the shirt and should wear Dhoti and ladies saree/churidar. In the case of churidar, Dhoti needs to wear over the churidar. Dhoti available in front of the temple shop for Rs 50 per piece onwards. Small wallets, cameras, mob phones, bags, etc are not allowed inside the temple.
- Morning – 03:30 hrs to 04:30 hrs, 06:30 hrs to 07:00 hrs, 08:30 hrs to 10:00 hrs & 10:30 hrs till 12:00 hrs.
- Evening – 17:00 hrs to 18:30 hrs and 18:45 hrs to 19:30 hrs.
Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple Tips-
- You can have a special darshan at Rs 250 for 2 adults. This is inclusive of offering thali with flowers and prasadam in return. Special darshan gives you access without any queue and may take an overall 20 mins.
- You need to keep all your belonging in the car or hotel before the entrance.
- Footwear keeping place available just outside the temple gate on payment.
- The idol inside the temple is Lord Vishnu in the form of Ananda Sayana. The sanctum sanctorum has three doors. You need to start darshan from left to right side starting the face, hands with lotus, and legs.
- You need to have an hour to visit the temple.
- The only Hindus are allowed inside.
2) Puthanmaliga Palace Museum:
Puthanmalika also known as the Kuthiramalika palace museum is located very close to Sri Padmanabha Swamy temple is one of the must-see places in Trivandrum. This is a 200yr old place of erstwhile Maharaja of Travancore and now converted as a museum. The main attraction of the palace is the traditional Kerala architecture marvel especially wooden carving, 122 horse structure curved in wooden planket which supports the room. Therefore this palace is also called Kuthira (horse) maliga (Palace) – Kuthiramalika palace. This is a must-see place for the tourist who loves to see the traditional old place, architecture, etc. Alongside the museum, there is another Art gallery on the same premises showcasing pictures of the royal family on various occasions.
Important Museum Tips-
- Entry is subject to payment of an entry fee. Foreign tourists to pay Rs 150, Domestic tourist Rs 50, Children Rs 15.
- Inside photography is restricted. A mobile phone needs to be switched off.
- Photo/video charges outside museum within the palace complex are – video – Rs 300, camera Rs 50, and Mobile Rs 20.
- Entry fee inclusive of guide charges.
- Opening at 09:00 hrs till 12:30 hrs and 14:00 hrs to 16:45 hrs. Monday Closed.
- Footwear will not be allowed inside the palace.
- The mobile photo needs to be switched off before entering the palace.
- Handbags, shoulder bags, etc will not be allowed and you need to keep in the clock room free of charge.
- There is an annual classical music festival is conducted every year from -6 Jan to 10 Jan which is being attended by the best musicians in India.
- The total time required to visit this complex and museum is approx an hr.
3) Sri Chithra Art Gallery:
Sri Chithra art gallery was opened to the public in the year 1935. Basically, this art gallery displays paintings of the Royal House of Travancore and the Kilimanoor Royal family. Apart from a painting of Raja Ravi Verma, paintings from Bengal School, Russian artists Nicholas Roerich and his son Svetoslav Roerich, contemporary paints and murals. Tanjore paintings, Art from Bali, Tibetian, Mugal, Rajasthani paintings add a feather to the cap.
Art Gallery Tips-
- Visiting from 10:00 hrs till 17:00 hrs. Wednesday open from 13:00 hrs till 15:00 hrs.
- Last entry available at 16:25 hrs.
- Monday closed.
4) Napier Museum:
The Napier Museum was designed by Robert Chisholm who was then architect of Govt of Madras, built and opened to the public in the year 1880 by Ayillyam thirunal Maharaja of erstwhile Travancore Kingdom. The museum was named after Lord John Napier, the then Governor-General of Madras. Also known as Govt Art Museum, it has a fairly collection of exhibits of more than 550 numbers. These collections are of dates back to the 18th Century include mainly metal sculptures of Chola, Chera, Vijayanagara, and Naik style. Wood and stone sculptures from different styles of South India, ivory and musical instruments, ancient coins, old burial urns, wooden ornamental box, temple chariot, ceremonial lamps all add to its attraction.
- The entry fee is Rs 20 for Indians and Rs 50 for foreigners.
- Photography not allowed.
- Open from 10:00 hrs till 16:45 hrs on all days. Monday closed. Wednesday entry from 13:00 hrs till 16:45 hrs.
- It takes approximately 1.5 hrs to see all the displayed items in detail.
- No guide service available.
- Better download Napier museum app, show this at each item and you will get details or extra information
Departure back to Kovalam and leisure at the beach resort. Overnight stay in Kovalam Beach.
Trivandrum Travel Tips:
- In case you are visiting family with kids, there are many other sightseeing options available in Trivandrum. Magic Planet, Veli lake, and tourist village, Shangumugam beach, Neyyar wildlife sanctuary, the famous vax museum, etc are few where family and kids will enjoy. You can replace the present sightseeing with these (except Neyyar wildlife) or consider to stay one more night in Trivandrum or Kovalam.
- If you are on a religious trip to Trivandrum, it’s recommended to stay in Trivandrum instead of Kovalam.
- The famous temples in Trivandrum are Sree Padmanabha Swamy temple, Pazavangadi Ganapathy Temple, Attukal Bhagavathi temple, Palkulangara Devi temple, etc.
Drop at Trivandrum airport, or railway station/bus stand. Tour ends.
Important Travel Tips for this Package:
- If you want to select this package and customize it according to your choice of hotels, it’s possible.
- We have mentioned different sightseeing options which include some of the famous temples. In case you are not interested in visiting any particular sightseeing point or temple, we can modify this itinerary to suit your requirement.
- In case you want to add any other sightseeing places or destinations or temples, we can do the same for you. Please contact us.
- In case if you have any other mode of arrival, we are open to provide the service.
- If your arrival is in the afternoon or evening, its advisable to stay at Kochi and start your trip the next day morning.
- In case you reach early morning before 6 am, proceeding immediately to Munnar is not possible. It’s advisable to have a Non-ac fresh up room for an hr or two for which a minimum of Rs 500 will be charged extra.
- Minimum 2 nights stay at Munnar required to have a relaxing trip and to see most of the good places. If you are staying only 1 night, then you just get a half-day to enjoy the place.
- This program is inclusive of a private houseboat. You can also choose a resort instead of a Houseboat.
- You can also start this package on a reverse order without any increase in the prices.
- This is a private trip for the booking guest and not shared with any other guest. Some of the common sightseeing is on sharing basis like Rajamali national park.
- If you want to visit Thekkady (Periyar) on this trip, you need to either add 1 more night or stay Munnar only 1 night instead of present 2 nights.
- Kanyakumari day trip is planned on the 2nd day at Kovalam. You can also plan this on the last day provided your departure should be after 9 pm in case you like to see the sunset.
- In case your departure is from Kochi, it takes 7 hrs drive, therefore, last day sightseeing is not possible.
Shopping in Kerala:
Since Kerala basically is a consumer state, the best options for shopping are below.
- Banana Chips – if you want to buy freshly packed chips, you can buy this from a couple of chips shop located prior to reaching the airport.
- Souvenirs – many handmade artifacts about Kerala and its culture is available from most of the souvenirs shops located at Munnar and Trivandrum.
- Coffee & tea – The best available place is shopping at Munnar.
- Spices – All types of spices are cheaper in shops at Munnar.
- Ladies’ traditional sarees are available from any clothing shops. It cost approx Rs 600 onwards per piece.
- Ayurvedic products – Oils, soaps, and many ayurvedic products are recommended.
Tips to Reduce the Package Cost:
Below are the eight tips as to how you can reduce this package price.
- Travel as a group. Try to travel as a group like two couples or three couples; this will reduce the price considerably.
- Reduce the taxi costs. As per the above program, your approximate taxi charges will be 17800. You can use this taxi till the houseboat and the next day you can go to Trivandrum by train from Alleppey. This will reduce the taxi charges.
- Use similar hotels. If you choose a similar hotel outside of the main center, it will reduce the price. Read our article Where to stay in Munnar, Thekkady, Kovalam.
- Instead of staying in Kovalam, you can stay in Trivandrum to reduce the cost as Kovalam hotels are costlier during seasons. You can choose a conducted tour for Trivandrum and Kovalam local sightseeing.
- At present private houseboat is included. Choose a sharing houseboat to reduce the cost. Please go here to know problems in sharing a houseboat.
- Instead of Houseboat in Alleppey, stay in a resort, and choose a shikara or country boat for a backwater trip.
- Travel by local bus. Normally this is being used by foreign backpackers and budget guests. On arrival, Aluva to Munnar by local bus, in Munnar sightseeing by three-wheeler auto, Munnar to Thekkady by local bus, Thekkady to Alleppey by local bus and by train from Alleppey to Trivandrum.
- To reduce the cost, you can still join a group. But unfortunately, there are no conducted tours or group tours operates by tour operators in Kerala.
Tour Cost Includes:
- A/c Accommodation except for Hill Station (Munnar &Thekkedy) on twin sharing basis with Daily Breakfast.
- There is no B/F on the day of arrival.
- AC car for all the transfers and local sightseeing as per the given itinerary.
- Well experienced and bilingual driver till the departure.
- All the expenses related to the vehicle (toll, tax, parking, permits, driver batta, etc)
- Child below 5 yrs sharing same bed with parents will be complimentarily.
- Hotel Check-in at 12pm and check out at 10 am.
- Driver is available from Morning 6 am to evening 6 or 7 pm.
- In case of arrival early morning before 6 am, additional charges will be applicable for the car.
- Non-ac fresh up room for an hour, if required, in case of your arrival is before 6 am.
- All the applicable taxes.
- Boating in Periyar wildlife sanctuary.
- Plantation tour in Thekkedy.
- Kathakali and Kalaripayattu show at Munnar or Thekkedy.
- Cruise time from 12:00 hrs to 17:30 hrs with 1hr lunch break. Next day trip from 08:00 hrs to 09:00 hrs.
- Welcome drink, Lunch, evening coffee/tea and snacks, Dinner, and Next day breakfast & Mineral water included.
- The menu is fixed and in case of any additional food will be charged extra.
- AC working time:
1) For Deluxe and premium: 21:00 hrs to 07:00 hrs.
2) For Luxury: 24 hrs AC
Tour Cost Does Not Includes:
- The packages do not include Air/Train tickets, Airport tax, Entry fees, Monuments, Guide fees, Camera Charges, Massages, Elephant Safaris, Personal expenses like laundry, tips, and telephone calls, Optional Tours, Travel Insurance, etc.
- Children upto the age of 5yrs is complimentary while staying with parents without any childbed or extra bed.
- Optional activities mentioned in the itinerary & anything not mentioned in the above package.
- Taxi cost inclusive of pick up from Kochi airport and Drop at Trivandrum airport. In case of back to Kochi airport, Extra Rs 1000 will be charged.
- In case of payment made by cr card or debit card service charge of 2.5% and 1% will be charged extra.
- Strike in Kerala. Due to strikes called by political parties, safe driving of car and driver is difficult. In that case, alternative arrangements with the permission of guest will be made and expenses incurred due to the same is not included and will be charged additionally.
- The Hotels you selected according to your budget.
- We recommend you to check reviews and location of hotels in the Trip advisor to make sure it is as per your preference and on arrival in case you want to change the hotel, retention charges or additional charges for the new hotels needs to be paid.
- Taxi used to revisit the same place already visited will be charged extra.
- No portion of the tour will be refunded in case of any sightseeing place not visited due to any particular reason.