About One Day Trip from Kovalam to Kanyakumari:
We know that Kerala is the best tourist destination for all-season. There are many beautiful tourist places to visit Kerala. Kanyakumari is one of those places where you can go for a one day trip. We have organized a one-day trip from Kovalam to Kanyakumari route. Book one of the best one day trip packages from Kovalam to Kanyakumari and enjoy one day journey in your weekend. When you are going to Kovalam to Kanyakumari, below are the different routes available. When you are going to Kanyakumari from Kovalam, below are the different routes available.
Available Routes from Kovalam to Kanyakumari Tourist Places:
There are two different routes you can choose while going from Kovalam to Kanyakumari.
1. Direct to Kanyakumari via coastal highway.
This route is very scenic as you are going via coastal highway. From Ganapathipuram, you will be on a coastal highway which gives you a very scenic ride towards Kanyakumari
- Kovalam – Poovar – Kaliyakkavilai – Marthandam – Thuckalay – Thingal Nagar – Kurunthancode – Ganapathipuram – Manakudy – Kanyakumari. Total 83 kms and it takes 2.5 hrs drive.
As per the sightseeing program given in the package, below is the route we are following.
- Kovalam – Poovar – Kaliyakkavilai – Marthandam – Thuckalay – Suchindram – Kanyakumari. Total 97kms and it takes 3 hrs direct drive.
The taxi needs an interstate permit to go to Kanyakumari. You can get a permit from any of the two check posts in Kerala at Parasala or Poovar. Once the permit is obtained, it needs to be stamped from the only Tamil Nadu entry check post at Kaliyakkavilai. To obtain the permit, we need to give the travelers full details including name, age address, etc and the driver will take a permit on this basis. Since these formalities are completed, we advise you to plan the Kanyakumari day visit as early as possible so that an advance permit can be obtained from the nearest RTO.
Pick up and Drop Facilities:
Pick up and drop facility is available from any hotel in Kovalam.
Pick up Time: Pick up is by 08:00 hrs and approximate drop back by 21:00 hrs.
One Day Trip from Kovalam to Kanyakumari Tourist Places:
1. Boating in Poovar- Beautiful Island of Kerala
The main attraction of Poovar is the Mangrove forest. You can hire a boat that they take you through the backwaters and mangrove forests. You can see a variety of birds during your boating in the mangrove forest. The trip is almost 1.15 hrs and a good experience. It cost you approximately 20:00- for a boat for 2 persons and 2500 for 4 adults. The best time for this boating is before 10 am. We have planned this from 09:00 hrs till 10:00 hrs. Those who already had a backwater trip in Aleppey, Kumarakom or Quilon, we do not recommend for this as, except the bird watching in the mangrove forest, the trip is almost similar.
2. Padmanabhapuram Palace-
This is also called a wooden palace is located on the way from Poovar to Kanyakumari. This palace has been constructed during 1601and rebuilt by Maharaja of Travancore during 1750. This is one of the best places to visit if you have interested in history or visiting palaces. Some of the interesting things about the palace are – this palace is the finest examples of Kerala architecture, completely constructed in wood, there is an underground passage from where the maharaja and family can escape in case of emergency, the clock tower in the palace is 300 yrs old and still working and the palace has a bathing pond similar to nowadays swimming pool. If you are not interested in old palaces, then you can skip visiting this place. It takes almost an hour to complete the trip.
3. Mathur Aqueduct-
Generally known as Mathur hanging Trough or Mathur Aqueduct is a concrete trough which is 7 ft in height and 7.5 ft width covered by a concrete slab. This trough is being supported by 28 pillars which are having a height of 115 ft. The trough is constructed to carry water for domestic as well as agricultural purposes from length which has constructed to carry water from one side to the other side. The touristic attraction is the best view available when you walk on the trough. Due to the below reasons, we do not recommend visiting our guests.
a) You might have much better and best viewpoints than this if you already visited or going to visit after your Kanyakumari trip.
b) This is not located on the roadside, but you need to travel 45 mins from the main highway connecting Kanyakumari and Poovar. This may surely affect your other sightseeing options.
Note: This sightseeing is optional.
4. Vattakottai Fort- Popular Tourist Spot of Kanyakumari
Located approximately 7 km ahead of Kanyakumari from Nagarcoil, this fort has been constructed by the erstwhile Travancore kingdom during the 18th century. Since this fort is constructed to meet strategic purpose like surveillance, keeping arms and ammunition of the Kingdom, it’s in a circular shape – therefore called VattaKottai (Vattom means round, Kottai means Fort). Three things interest the visitors are the best view of the sea and beach from this fort, calm and quiet place to relax for some time and one of the best photoshoot places in Kanyakumari. If the above three are not worth for you, you can skip this place from your visiting itinerary. The best time to visit this place is either afternoon or morning time. Always carry water bottles as there are no shops around the place.
5. Vivekananda rock- Famous Monument in Kanyakumari
On arrival, you will go straight to visit Vivekananda rock. This place is attributed to a belief that Swamy Vivekananda has attained enlightenment in this place. To visit Vivekananda rock, one needs to take a ferry from Kanyakumari Jetty to the rock which takes 5mins. You can see a meditation hall constructed on the rock as a memorial to Swamy Vivekananda. On reaching the rock, you can see Thiruvalluvar statue and Triveni Sangam. There are two types of boat tickets to Vivekananda rock is available. The ordinary ticket is @ Rs 37 per head and each person needs to stand in a queue. Only one ticket is given to one person. During the weekend, holidays or season time, you need to stand in the queue to get the tickets minimum one hr. Another option is the special ticket available. This cost Rs 107 per person and you will get this in max 10mins time. In this category, there is no restriction to buy the tickets.
6. Thiruvalluvar Statue-
This 133 ft tall stone statue is dedicated to famous Tamil poet Thiruvalluvar. This is constructed another rock island near to Vivekananda rock. Entry to this island is not available and you can best see this statue from Vivekananda rock.
7. Kanyakumari Beach-
Kanyakumari, earlier during British rule known as Cape Comorin is the southern tip of India. Surrounded by the Arabian Sea, Indian Ocean and Bay of Bengal, this is the place where you can see three seas joining together. The experience is the spectacular view of the blue arches green sea. It’s not necessarily come to Kanyakumari beach to see the beautiful blue sea, but you can see this when you go to Vivekananda rock, Gandhi Mandapam, Vattakottai, watchtower or sunset viewpoint or from your hotel also. The beach is not a sandy beach in Kanyakumari, but full of rocks, therefore, getting in the sea or swimming is not recommended.
8. Triveni Sangam- Unique Beach of India
This is being called because, the Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean join together here.
Once Vivekananda rock is visited come back to the mainland by ferry. On reaching, we will provide you non-veg south Indian thali meals. Post lunch, you can visit the below attractions.
9. Mayapuri Wonder Wax Museum-
This is India’s first wax museum and it has 10-12 wax models of personalities. There is also one 3D room where you can have lots of fun. The place will surely like children. Not in must-visit places.
10. Mahatma Gandhi Mandapam-
This is the place where Gandhi’s urn kept before taken to final disposition. The photos displayed gives a glimpse of Gandhi’s life and work. If you go to the top of the building, you can see a good view of the sea. Footwear is not allowed inside and needs to keep outside for which you need to pay a small amount. Comparing to other Gandhi memorials in different parts of the country, just visit this if you have time otherwise nothing important to see.
11. Observation Tower (View Tower)-
The tourism department has constructed an observation tower to view the sunset or sunrise. The tower is approx 100mtr in height has a spiral constructed walkway without any steps so that all age groups people can go up to the top by walking. You have a 360degree view of the sea and nearby places. The best place for photography, therefore, must-visit.
12 Bharat Mata Temple-
Sri Ramayana Darshanam and Bharat Mata Temple are located 2.5kms prior to reaching Kanyakumari from Nagercoil. This temple is built in a 12000 sqft fully air-conditioned two-floor temple is dedicated to Mother India. The first floor named as Bharat Maata Sadanam, is a 12ft bronze statue of Swami Vivekananda and drawings based on motherhood, depicting five mothers – Goddess Parvathi, Shakunthala (mother of Bharat), Jijabhai (mother of Shivaji), Sharada Devi (mother of Swami Vivekananda) and Mata Amritanandamayi. Important events of Ramayana Darshan in has been displayed 108 mural and an oil-painted wooden panel is also displayed. Another attraction is the 27ft Hanuman statue made on single granite placed on the entrance of the Ramayana Darshan. You will get an overall good experience to visit this place.
13. Sunset View Point-
One can have a nice sunset view from this place which is located just walking distance from the Kanyakumari market. One of the best experiences during your Kanyakumari trip. You can walk from the city to this place or you can come by auto or your own transport. The authorities constructed adequate space and sitting arrangements where you can relax and see the sunset.
After sunset at Kanyakumari, you will be traveling back to Trivandrum via Suchindram. This is not mandatory for all the guests. Those who believe the Hindu religion can go to the temple for prayers.
14. Sarvani Shaktipeeth Shri Bhagavathy Temple-
This temple is also known as Kumari Amman Temple or Devi Kanyakumari temple. The temple is almost 3000yrs old and believed that Devi Kanyakumari is goddess Parvathi in the form of an adolescent girl child. You can visit this temple after the sunset view as daily aarti is at 18:30 hrs.
15. Suchindram Temple-
The temple is located between Kanyakumari and Nagarcoil, therefore, it is easy to visit this temple who are visiting Kanyakumari. The main importance of the temple is that“Thrimoorthi” is placed in one sanctum sanctorum. Therefore this temple is also called STHANUMALAYAN (Sthanu- Shiva, Maal- Vishnu, Ayan – Brahma). Two best things apart from the religious aspect are that the beautiful gopuram is 134 ft height and a hanuman idol inside the temple is 18ft in height. Though it’s a famous Lord Shiva temple, Hanuman is also a deity. Opening, closing and pooja timing is below. Morning time from 0430hrs till 11:00 hrs and afternoon 17:00 hrs till 20:30 hrs.
Travel Advice for Suchindram temple:
- You need to remove your shirt before entering the temple.
- Ladies can wear pants, churidar or saree.
- Special or normal darshan is available.
End of Kovalam to Kanyakumari One day trip and return back to Kovalam, drop at Hotel, Tour ends.
Important Travel Tips for Kovalam to Kanyakumari Day Trip:
- If you want to select this package and want to customize it as per your choices, it can be easily be done.
- Timing mentioned should be kept and in case if any sightseeing could not be completed, there will not be any refund available.
- In case you are on a Kerala trip with a taxi at disposal, it is advisable NOT to go with this package but continue with your own taxi. If you need any free tips on this, please mail at [email protected].
- If you want to know which less important sightseeing option out of the mentioned above, we recommend you skip Padmanabhapuram place, Mathur Aqueduct, and wax museum.
- This is a private trip for the booking guest and not a daily conducted fixed trip.
Package Cost Per Person:
|Persons||Total Cost for the trip|
|Cost for 2 adults With sedan ac car 3+1 seat||Rs 4900|
|Cost for 4 adults With Innova ac car 6+1||Rs 7800|
|Cost for 6 adults With Innova ac car 6+1||Rs 8200|
|Cost for 12 adults 12 seat ac tempo traveler 11+1||Rs 12200|
- The above costs are valid from 01 Oct to 15 Dec and 15 Jan to 31 Mar.
- Cost not valid from 16 Dec to 14 Jan – contact us for revised price
- Validity from 01 Apr till 31 Sep. This is an offseason and good discount available
- AC car as per the details mentioned above all-inclusive.
- Well experienced and bilingual driver till the departure.
- All the expenses related to the vehicle (toll, tax, parking, permits, driver batta, etc)
- Special Boating entry ticket to Kanyakumari.
- Veg south Indian thali meal in a restaurant.
- 1 ltr of mineral water for the whole tour.
- All the applicable taxes
Tour Cost Does not Includes:
- The packages do not include Air/Train tickets, Airport tax, Entry fees, Monuments, Guide fees, Camera Charges, Massages, Elephant Safaris, Personal expenses like laundry, tips, and telephone calls, Optional Tours, Travel Insurance, etc.
- Optional activities mentioned in the itinerary & anything not mentioned in the above package.
- In case of payment made by credit card or debit card service charge of 2.5% and 1% will be charged extra.
- Poovar mangrove forest boating is not included.
- Apart from the driver, no other guide is included.
- Strike in Kerala. Due to strikes called by political parties, safe driving of car and driver is difficult. In that case, alternative arrangements with the permission of guest will be made and expenses incurred due to the same is not included and will be charged additionally.
- Taxi used to revisit the same place already visited will be charged extra