A week’s best-planned trip to Kerala – this package can be narrated like this. If you are planning a 7 days holiday in Kerala, this is the best package that starts from Kochi covering most of the tourist destination and then finally ends at Trivandrum. This package cover the most attractive place in Kerala – Munnar hill station, Periyar wildlife sanctuary, Aleppey backwaters, and the best beach in Kerala ie Kovalam along with the historic city Trivandrum. The most advantage of the package is less and more comfortable travel between the destinations. Other important aspects of the 6 nights 7 days Kerala tour package including destination covered, its importance is below.
Located at a height of 1450-1695 m, this is one of the best hill stations in Kerala which tourists cannot avoid visiting. It stood first in the domestic and international tourism due to its greenery, tea plantations, waterfalls, viewpoints, cool climate, mountains – a combination of all these make Munnar No 1 destination
About Thekkady (Periyar):
Periyar tiger reserve is located in the western ghats. This is one of the best places where you can have a boat safari in the river to see wildlife. There are many activities conducted by the forest department for the tourists to experience the wildlife. Apart from the wildlife sanctuary, this is also one of the best destinations due to its forest cover, vegetation, greenery and cool climate as Periyar is located approximately 900m above MSL. Therefore, those who like nature, wildlife, and good climate are another best destination.
About Alleppey Houseboat:
Houseboat in Alleppey is an experience beyond imagination. The main attraction of Aleppey has crisscrossed canals, lagoons, villages on the banks of these canals, paddy fields, etc – all these make Alleppey backwater a much sought after destination among tourists. During a stay in a houseboat, you will be provided with the full board with veg and on veg dishes prepared exclusively for the occupants of the houseboat.
Known earlier as Travancore, they become the capital city of Princely state of Travancore during 1795. So you are visiting a place which is famous for its heritage and culture of the erstwhile Travancore kingdom. You can see old traditional buildings, the wood palace, Kuthiramaliga palace, the famous Sree Padmanabhaswamy – all these take you to dates back of history
Kovalam is located south end of Kerala and famous for its sandy beaches. Though Kerala is located on the Arabian seaside and there are many beaches like Quilon, Varkala, Alleppey, Mararikulam, Cherai, etc available for tourists, but Kovalam beach is identified and developed as a beach destination for tourists. This is the only beach where you can have adventure activities like Scuba diving, Jet sky, fisherman boating, etc
How to Reach:
1) Arrival by Flight:
Kochi (Cochin) International airport is the arrival destination for those who are coming by Flight.
2) Arrival by Train/Bus:
The best suitable railway station / Bus stand is Aluva. You can also come to Ernakulam Jn railway station (ERS or ERN). Since the city has traffic problems, after arrival moving out of Kochi city during busy hrs takes too much time. Ernakulum is also having an interstate bus terminal called Vyttila. Those who are coming by Volvo bus from nearby places like Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai, arrival destination should be at Aluva or Vyttila. You can also come directly to Munnar by Volvo bus and our pick up service is available.
3) Departure by Flight:
The best and suitable airport for departure is Trivandrum. Kochi airport 250 kms and it takes almost 6.5 hrs drive.
4) Departure by Train/Bus:
The best suitable railway station for departure is Trivandrum Central or Kochu Veli railway station. Trivandrum central bus terminal where you can get interstate buses.
Arrival and Departure time:
We always recommend reaching before 9 am so that according to our sightseeing plan, this trip can be smooth. Your departure convenient for this package is any time after 4 pm.
3 Highlights of Kerala Tour Package for 7 Days:
- Well experienced behaved driver cum guide for the trip.
- One Kathakali and Kalaripayattu entry is included either at Munnar or Thekkedy.
- One entry and boating in the Periyar wildlife sanctuary is included.
Day 1: Kochi to Munnar
Arrival at Kochi, our representative will meet, receive, and transfer to Munnar. It takes approximately 3.5 hrs to cover 148 kms. On the way to Munnar, you can have your lunch at Onnukal, where veg and non-veg restaurants. These restaurants provide additional services like free restrooms.
On the way, you can see below waterfalls. You can spend some time there and then proceed to Munnar.
1) Cheeyappara Waterfalls:
This is located on the Kochi – Munnar highway on the left side of the road. This is a good place to have photos, but no bathing is allowed as rocks used to slippery. There is no entry fee or parking fee that needs to be given. There are couples of small shops selling local food items. 15-20 mins halt is recommended.
2) Valera Waterfalls:
After Cheeyappara you can see another waterfall on the right side. You cannot see this nearby. We do not recommend even a photo stop as this is not so important waterfalls.
After the sightseeing, you can proceed directly to your hotel. If you do not want to go direct to Munnar hotel and need some sightseeing or activities, we recommend Dreamland Fun Park. Since its a little bit far off, we suggest you go this fist and then to Hotel for check-in. You can also see Kerala martial art (Kalaripayattu) and art form (Kathakali) today evening since there is enough time.
1) Dreamland Fun & Adventure Park:
This is located 16 km away from Munnar a place called Anachal. This park is suitable for all the tourists especially honeymoon couples and family and kids. They have may activities for kids and adults separately. Kids will surely enjoy Trampoline and trampoline bungee jump and pedal boating. There are many activities for adults are available like horse riding, camel ride, hunting game, free fall, Burma bridge, hanging bridge, commando net and many more. All these are with complete security in international standards. Entry fee starting from Rs 1000 and you can also choose different packages which cost you more. It takes a minimum of 2 hrs to complete the activities.
Dreamland visiting tips-
- Check their web site and see the activities. In case you are not interested, intimate the same in advance to the driver. This will save you time money.
- Ensure you should have good shoes in case you are going for any activities.
- Better to avoid during monsoon from Jun to mid of Aug.
- Restaurant available inside the dreamland.
- In case your arrival is midday or afternoon, you need to skip visiting this place as there is no time left.
2) About Kathakali and Kalaripayattu:
Kathakali is a famous art form and Kalaripayattu is a martial art of Kerala In most of the tourist destinations in Kerala, this kind of stage performance in an auditorium is conducted. There are two performance centers in Munnar. Punarjani which is located a little bit outside is the best one. Both these performances are of an hour each which started at 1700hrs and ending at 1900hrs. The entry fee is Rs 300 per person for each show.
Check-in Hotel and overnight in a stay at Munnar.
Day 2 : Munnar
Munnar Places to visit in one day:
Today we have planned a full day sightseeing of Munnar. Since there is just one day for the whole sightseeing, we suggest you keep the timing. B/F at the hotel and start the latest by 09:00 hrs. First half day we plan to cover all the sightseeing from Munnar town to Top station which includes Rose garden, Mattupetty Dam, Echo point, Kundala Lake, and Top Station. But we will be doing this on the reverse order as visiting Top Station or Kundala Dam is best during early or morning hrs. It takes approximately 50 mins to reach the top station from Munnar town.
1) Top Station:
Located at 6410 ft MSL, Top Station is the second-highest elevated place in the whole Munnar. It takes approximately 45 mins to cover 18kms from Munnar town. The interesting story of Top Station is that the British built a railway line running from Chaya Bazar (near present Munnar town) to Drop Station (present Top Station). The train used to carry the tea leaves collected in the whole Munnar to Drop Station and from there by a cable car to down below the processing center. You can see the remains of this cable car at Top Station even now. Visiting top station, you will get the best experience with regard to the view of mountains towards Kulukkumali, fog, mist, and chilled climate Interestingly, the top station is not in Kerala but located in Tamil Nadu. We need to cross 1km into Tamil Nadu state to reach this place.
Travel Tips for Top Station-
- It opens at 06:00 hrs and closes at 17:00 hrs.
- An entry fee of Rs 25 for adults, Children Rs 15 and Rs 10 for foreigners will be charged.
- Those who have knee problems, heart diseases, breathing problems and kids below 6 yrs should avoid this place as it involves too much walking by steps.
- We should have good shoes.
- The best time to visit is early morning or before 10 am.
- Should be avoided during monsoon ie from Jun to mid of Aug.
- If you are planning to visit Kolukkumali, Top station visits can be avoided.
- Handicapped persons, pregnant ladies, and wheel chairpersons cannot access this place.
2) Kundala Dam:
Kundala Dam was constructed for Pallivasal Hydro Electric Project in 1946 and considered to be Asia’s No 1 arch dam. This place is located between Top Station and Munnar town, therefore, it is easy for visiting. Considered as one of the best scenic spots for photography, you can also have activities like a pedal boat, speed boat, or shikhara kind of trip available in the lake.
Tips For Travel Kundala Dam-
- Irrespective of any restrictions, tourists from all walks of life can access this place.
- Entry to this place is totally free. In case you want to have some activities like boating in lake, horse riding, etc, all these are available here which is chargeable.
- If you are doing any boating activity in any other lake in Munnar, this can be avoided.
- It takes hardly 15-20 mins here to experience, in case you do not need any other activities.
3) Echo Point:
This is nothing much important about this place. If you make a loud noise, your voice will return to you as you have a big hill just opposite of you after the lake. But more than that, this is one of the best places to have a photo of the lake close by. Entry to this place is restricted with an entry fee of Rs 20 per person.
4) Visit Tea Plantation:
On the way to Top station or while coming back to the city, you can see very scenic tea plantations. In case you want to visit, see or want to have photos, you can do this. There is no entry fee or charges need to pay. You should know that the whole Munnar is tea plantations and you can get good photos not necessarily from one particular place, but anywhere in Munnar.
5) Mattupetty Dam:
Mattupetty dam is located 13 km away from Munnar city towards Top station and it takes 20mins drive by road. Mattupetty can be narrated like a confluence of mountain, lake, and greenery. You will get the best photos and some breathtaking moments of your holiday. Unlike Kundala, Madupetty made elaborate arrangements for tourist comfort. It has a washroom, tourist facilitation center where coffee shop, snack bar, cowboy park, children park with swing, speed boat in the lake, etc available. The best experience of Madupetty is first to go to the boating center or tourist facilitation center, if interested do the boating and come to the dam and take some of the best photos.
Travel Tips For Mattupetty Dam-
- Try to walk from Kundala to Mattupetty dam and you can see tallest blue gum trees, in case you have time.
- You can skip in case you are coming from a place where there are lots of lakes and mountains.
- This place is accessible for all irrespective of handicapped or wheelchaired.
- Very good place for family with kids outing.
- This place is best for a small shopping for handicrafts and souvenirs.
- There are no restaurants available but hot noodles and local snacks are available. During holidays, weekend, and tourist season, this place is jam-packed. You may need to wait up to an hr to get boating tickets or Parking car.
- Take beautiful photos of the Mattupetty dam. After the boating travel to the dam, come out of the car from one end of the dam and walk to other ends. You can take good photos from the middle as vehicles are not allowed to park on the dam.
6) Rose Garden:
This is a kind of botanical garden maintained by the KTDC Floriculture Centre. Not only Roses but different varieties of flowers are available and a good place to have memorable photos. This garden is located 5kms away on the top station roadside and entry is restricted with an entry fee of Rs 50 per person.
Tips For Travel Rose Garden-
- Since there are steps, handicapped or wheelchaired persons advised not to visit this place.
- A washroom facility is available for the public.
- You can buy favorite plants from the rose garden.
We expect this is over by 1300hrs and an hour lunch break is available. There are many vegs or non-veg restaurants available in Munnar city. Post lunch we are organizing a trip to Rajamali in Eravikulam National Park.
7) Eravikulam (Rajamali) National Park:
Eravikulam national park having an area of 97 sq km is the first national park in Kerala. The Park protects endemic and endangered Nilgiri Tahr, a rare species of mountain goat, and its habitat. The park has the largest stretch of undisturbed shoal-grassland ecosystems in the western ghats. Anamudi which is 2695 meters in height is the highest peak south of Himalayas is located within this park. Before becoming a National Park, the area is the hunting reserve of the colonial tea planters. It takes approximately 30 mins drive to the entry point. On reaching the entry point, you need to show the online booking details or you can buy the tickets from this counter itself. From the ticket counter till the entry gate of Eravikulam, it’s almost 20 mins in a minibus which is being provided by the park. On reaching the entry points, you need to walk steep pathways for almost 40 mins to see the Nilgiri Thar and Anamudi Peak. This is also a good place to have good mountain photographs.
Travel Tips For Eravikulam National Park-
- Book your tickets online.
- Entry ticket is Rs 125 for domestic tourists and Rs 400 for foreigners.
- Best time to visit in the early morning or afternoon.
- No food or water bottles allowed.
- The washroom is available for both gents and ladies.
- Not accessible by wheelchair.
- Cafeteria and snack bar available at the waiting place.
- To see the Nilgiri Thar and Anamudi peak, you need to hike approximately 40mins. Those who have breathing problems should avoid this.
- Carry raincoat in rainy seasons. Umbrella is a must for all seasons.
- This park is closed during Feb and Mar for breeding and calving every year.
By the time you visit this park, it may be afternoon. You can come to Munnar town for small shopping. Departure for your hotel and check-in. Overnight stay in a resort
Munnar Travel Tips:
- On the way from Kochi to Munnar, we have included Valera and Cheeyappara waterfalls. Since these falls depend on raining water, these falls may be dry during summertime or if there is no rain.
- Dreamland – visit only if you are interested. If you already had been too good amusement parks, you can skip this.
- In case you are skipping Dreamland, you can go to Munnar city for a visit.
- We recommend you to visit the art center on Day 1 as you may not get time for the second day.
- During the tourist season, weekend and holidays, there will be a huge rush due to local guests. Sometimes this leads to a terrific traffic block and may trap for a couple of hrs. Therefore, ensure that you keep the timing mentioned in this program.
- The above program is not possible in case your hotel is too far off of Munnar like Adimali, Chinnakanal, Eeticity, Anachal, Kunjithanni, But SreesTours select and provide hotels which are located within Munnar only. Please go here to know where to stay in Munnar.
- If your trip is during Feb or Mar when the Eravikulam park is closed, you can visit a tea factory, Lockhart gap viewpoint, etc.
- All these programs may disrupt in case there is heavy rain. Visiting Top station or Eravikulam, during heavy monsoon is not possible.
- Apart from Hotels, there is a variety of other stay options available like Tree House, private pool villa, jacuzzi, and bathtub rooms, honeymoon cottage, resorts with a view to the tea plantation, tent, and camp stay.
- Apart from the standard sightseeing program mentioned above, you can also experience attractions or activities in Munnar. We recommend staying more days to experience all these.
- Sunrise at Top station.
- Off-road Jeep safari.
- Guided soft hiking of 2hrs or hard hiking of 4 hrs and visit beautiful mountains, grasslands, and tea plantation.
- Guided hiking and camping in Swiss tents
This is the best place to buy Tea and coffee at a reasonable price.
Day 3. Munnar to Thekkedy (Periyar)
Today your trip is to Thekkedy (Periyar). Thekkedy is located approximately 135 km and it may take a minimum of 3.5 hrs to reach. You can go to Thekkedy by choosing two different directions. We recommend you to start at 08:30 hrs so that you can reach Thekkedy comfortably and book a boat safari.
Routes for reach Thekkedy from Munnar:
- Munnar city – Chinnakanal – Thekkedy:
This route is one of the best routes as you can see below sightseeing options on the way.
- Lockhart gap viewpoint – one of the best viewpoints after Top Station.
- Periya Kanal waterfalls – this is available during Jun, Jul, Aug, and Sep.
- Anayirangal Dam – 1.5 km from the main road, this is one of the best scenic spots in Munnar. Sometimes you can see wild elephants also there.
- Lockhart tea plantations – around 30 mins drive through these tea plantations – one of the best experiences and best places for photography.
2. The other route to Thekkedy is via Kunjithanni, Rajakkad, Udumbanchola. You can save approx 20 km and 30 mins.
Note: Guest whose hotels located in Anachal, Kunjithanni, Chithirapuram, etc cannot go this route as one needs to first go to Munnar city which is 17 km more and it takes another 40 mins.
On arrival at Thekkedy, you can go for a plantation visit.
1) Spice Plantation Tour or spice walk:
Many private owners cultivate ayurvedic medicinal plants in their courtyard either for selling these to companies or for passion. Most of them have either three or max ten varieties of plants with them. When the tourism, as well as Ayurveda, was growing, some of these planters start growing more varieties of plants and then this courtyard or cultivation area has been converted to a spice plantation tour and start allowing the tourist to know about the different variety of medicinal as well as other plants available in India. Entry is restricted with entry fee and on entry, you will be provided with a personal guide to explain to you about each plant and its medicinal value. At the end of the spice walk, the guide will take you to a small hall where they explain about the medicine available for different ailments.
Spice Plantation tour tips-
- Since all these spice plantations own and operated by private parties, you need to pay an entry fee of minimum Rs 200 each.
- Open at 7 am, you can visit any time. Approximate time for this tour is minimum an hr and a maximum of 1.5 hrs.
- The main aim of these spice walk or plantation visits is to sell ayurvedic medicins. Therefore, your guide may be insisting on buying these ayurvedic products. It’s well-advised that better you consult a doctor before buying the medicines from spice plantation.
Check-in hotel and lunch at any of the restaurants. We have planned your boat trip today at 15:30 hrs. Relax till now and report at entry point by 15:30 hrs.
2) Visit Periyar National Park & Boating in Wildlife Sanctuary:
Periyar national park is famous for elephants and tigers. The sanctuary surrounds Periyar Lake which was formed when the Mullaperiyar Dam was constructed. One should note that like other wildlife sanctuaries in India – Ranthambore, Gir, etc, you cannot go inside the forest in a jeep or any other transport to see wildlife animals. Since Periyar National Park is surrounded by Periyar Lake, the forest department conducts boat safari in this Periyar Lake to see wildlife animals. The boat trip starts at 07:30 hrs which is for 2 hrs and all other trips are for 1.5 hrs only. There are 4 boats available for a trip to the lake. One needs to book an online ticket for the safari. The interesting thing to note that till now except elephant, birds and wild gaur, etc, none of the visitors have seen a tiger. Therefore, if you are coming to Periyar national park to see tigers, sorry to inform you that this is hardly possible.
You need to book a boat safari ticket online in advance. Otherwise during peak time, getting a ticket is difficult. Since you are staying just one night, we recommend booking a ticket on a 15:30 hrs trip. The boat trip starts at 16:00 hrs and ends at 17:00 hrs.
Apart from the boat safari in the Periyar Lake, the forest department conducts many activities like an overnight stay in the forest with armed guards, night trekking, bamboo rafting, etc. If you are interested in these activities, it’s always recommended to stay a minimum of two nights in Thekkedy. Apart from the above, you can also go for elephant safari, Jeep safari and plantation tour, etc. If interested, these can be experienced the next day also. Overnight stay in the resort.
Travel Tips for Thekkedy-
- It’s always recommended to book your stay very close to the wildlife sanctuary. Srees Tours provide a very comfortable close by hotel for our all guests.
- As per this program, the best suitable boating is at 15:30 hrs as you need to travel at 09:00 hrs to Houseboat. But the best boating is at 07:00 hrs which ends at 09:30 hrs. So if you choose the morning boating, you will be reaching houseboat by 14:00 hrs ie late for 2 hrs. Though it’s a private boat that will wait for you, some of the backwater sightseeing may not be able to cover.
- If you are interested in hiking or trekking, staying in the forest with armed guards, bamboo rafting, etc, there are many such programs organized by the Forest Department for which you may need to stay one or two more days in this destination.
- Thekkedy market is very close to where you are staying. This is the best and cheapest shopping place for all types of spices, Kerala traditional saree for ladies, etc.
Day 4 : Thekkedy to Houseboat
Today you are going to experience stay in a Houseboat. It may take approx 3.5 hrs to drive by road to cover around 150 km. We always recommend starting the latest by 9 am so that you can comfortably reach houseboat by 12:00 hrs. On the way from Thekkedy to Houseboat, there is nothing much to explore except a couple of viewpoints. We are not including these viewpoints since you already had experienced the best one at Munnar. Arrival and check-in houseboat.
1 Night Alleppey Houseboat Trip Plan-
The below Houseboat backwater program has been designed for those who like to visit the best canals in and around Alleppey.
Check-in Houseboat at 12:00 hrs and houseboat make a trip through the biggest Vembanad lake. From 12:00 hrs to 17:30 hrs, the houseboat makes a trip through the below beautiful rivers and canals with an hour lunch break.
- Vembanadu lake – biggest freshwater lake.
- Punnamada Kayal – river famous for Nehru trophy boat race.
- SNDP canal – one of the smallest canal on this trip.
- Pamba river – almost 150 ft width river.
- Irumbanam Thod – best narrow canal.
Evening Options and Activities:
- Fishing in the lake and backwaters. (most of the houseboats is always having fishing roads and you will surely get small fishes).
- The houseboat is having a tv and music system to enjoy some pictures. You can also bring your pen drive to make your stay more comfortable.
Note: Overnight stay in Houseboat
Important Points to Know for Houseboat Trip:
- Your houseboat trip inclusive with full board ie all the meals starting from lunch to B/F & mineral water.
- In case you are reaching late, all boats booked through Srees Tours will not stop for Lunch.
- In case you have allergic to any particular food, it should be notified well in advance.
- The houseboat menu is fixed and inclusive of Kerala local food. No continental or Chinese is available.
- You have the option of visiting a local sightseeing place by walking or walking through villages. The boatman will help you for the same. In case of late arrival, this is not possible.
- There are many ayurvedic massage centers are available where the houseboat is halting. We do not recommend having these massages during your houseboat stay as these are not properly licensed.
- We do not recommend buying extra fish or any other items from the local market. In case you are fond of a particular extra food, we will be ready to help you.
- You can skip staying in a houseboat and stay in a resort – this will cost the package with additional costs.
- Late Check-in Houseboat. In case of late check-in after 2 pm, we compensate this by avoiding 1hr lunch break and extending the trip till 18:00 hrs. Moreover, all houseboats booked through SreesTours have special consideration. In case of delayed check-in, check out cannot be extended after 09:00 hrs.
- Early Checkout from Houseboat ie checks out at 7 am or before needs to be notified in advance as accordingly night halting location needs to be changed.
- Paddy fields are available from Oct to Feb only.
- Big boats having more than 2 rooms and the top floor will not make a trip through Akkathara and Venattukadu canals.
- Dinner time is at 21:00 hrs and at 22:00 hrs the lobby will be closed.
- Smoking in Houseboats is prohibited.
- Liquor will not be provided by the service provider. But that guest who wants to consume liquor can bring their items and can be used in the boat. For those who cannot bring their stuff, SreesTours provide the same in the boat in the case ordered in advance with extra service charges.
- Night Halt of Houseboat. All the houseboat owners have their night halting-place. This cannot be changed in case the guest does not like the place.
- Requests like a sunset cruise, park houseboat to view the sunset, night halt in the middle of the lake or river, change location, etc will not be entertained.
Day 5 : Houseboat to Kovalam
Get up early morning and have a nice sunrise in a houseboat. (this depends upon the climate and not available for all the bookings). The boat starts at 08:00 hrs and finally drops at 0900hrs at Jetty. During this one hr time, the houseboats make a trip through Chithira lake and the Vembanadu lake which is the biggest freshwater lake in Kerala. Check out from Houseboat. After check out from Houseboat you are proceeding to Kovalam which is approximately 4hrs by road. You can use two different routes to reach Kovalam. One is via Quilon which is a coastal highway and the other is via Kottarakara. The main sightseeing on the way from Aleppey to Kovalam is Jatayu Earth Centre which is located on the roadside via Kottarakara. In case if you are interested to visit, it’s advisable to have an early check out from the houseboat and proceed to the earth center.
Jatayu Earth Centre:
Myth – Jatayu is an embodiment of valor and chivalry. Risking his life, he tried his best to save Sita from her abductor. Jatayu is a man-made sculpture constructed on a top of a hill. The statue is 200 ft long, 150 ft wide, and 70 ft tall. This has entered the Guinness book of records as the “largest functional bird statue.”
Travel Tips for Jatayu Earth Centre:
- The entry fee is approx Rs 500 per person including tax.
- Not accessible by wheelchair.
- Approximate time to visit the sculpture and the museum is an hour and a half.
- One of the best places for photography.
Arrival at Kovalam, check-in hotel and relax till 15:30 hrs. Afternoon sightseeing planned as per the below schedule.
1) Vizhinjam Lighthouse:
Kovalam lighthouse is also called a Vizinjam lighthouse is located on the beachside of Kovalam. The tower is constructed cylindrically with a total height of 118 ft and 187 ft height from mean sea level. One needs to use the lift and steps to reach the observatory deck to have a good view. One can experience a good view of Kovalam beach, lighthouse beach, and in fact the beautiful Arabian Sea. One of the best places for good photography.
Travel Tips for Vinzhinjam lighthouse-
- Payment by the entry fee. Domestic tourist Rs 20, senior citizen and children Rs 10, foreign tourists Rs 50.
- Entry is available from 10:00 hrs till 13:00 hrs and 14:00 hrs to 18:00 hrs. Entry closes at 16:30 hrs.
- Closed on every Monday.
- Lift available from 1st floor to 3rd From the ground floor to 1st floor and 3rd floor to 4th floor you need to round shape steps to reach the top.
- Not advisable for people with knee problems.
- The best time to visit is in the morning at 10 am to avoid the rush in the evening. There will be too much rush during the weekend and holidays.
- Due to the menace of stray dogs, do not go alone for an early morning or evening walking on the beach.
2) Marine Research Aquarium:
This is located in Vizinjam, just a few minutes’ walks from Lighthouse beach. A small aquarium displaying some precious collection of marine life. The entry fee is Rs 20 and used to close on Monday. Since there is nothing important, visit this if you have spare time.
3) Light House beach:
The entire Kovalam is on the Arabian seaside so you go anywhere, you can experience the beach. But there are only two beaches called lighthouse beach and Hawa beach (also called as eve beach) where you can have activities like scuba diving, swimming, jet sky, etc. Hawa beach is used by local fishermen and sand is black.
Important Beach Tips-
- Swimming on the beach is not allowed after 18:30 hrs.
- During season or rush time, all the activities need to be booked in advance in case interested.
- Monsoon in Kerala starts during the 1st week of Jun till Aug end and the beach is not idle for swimming.
- Beach shakers and umbrellas available from Rs 200 onwards.
- Lifeguards and tourist police help available on the beach.
- Washroom available but NO bathing arrangement available.
- It will be crowded with local tourists during holidays and weekends.
- In case your hotel is not nearby, carry your extra towel, changing clothes, etc.
4) Hawa Beach:
Hawa beach – locally called Eves beach, is located just opposite the north side of the lighthouse beach. Compare to the lighthouse beach, this is a small black sand beach and not idle for swimming. This beach is overcrowded during weekend days by local tourists, no proper waste management by authorities, therefore, dirt is everywhere, fisherman keeps their items for the fishing like small wooden boats, diesel barrels, etc. Due to all these reasons, it’s advisable to skip this place or recommended having just visited the beach during your holiday.
Important Beach Tips-
- Restaurants are not available on this beach.
- Lifeguards monitoring system available.
- Only a few sunbed and umbrella rentals on this beach.
- Water sports like Jet ski, speed boat and catamaran drive available in the boat.
- The best time to visit is early morning or afternoon.
- No washroom or bathing arrangements on this beach.
- This beach is having a paid vehicle parking area where ladies washrooms available.
Beach Activities in Kovalam:
Beach is having many activities like swimming in lighthouse beach, scuba diving, surfing, speed boat, etc. In case interested these activate can be booked on arrival. Some of the items like scuba diving, windsurfing, etc need training and during your weekend holiday days, it may not be possible. Overnight stay in Hotel
Day 6. Kovalam to Trivandrum
Today we have planned visit to Sripadmanabha Swamy temple and half-day Trivandrum city sightseeing. Early b/f and departure for Trivandrum by 08:30 hrs.
Sree Padmanabha Swamy Temple:
Padmanabha Swamy temple – Open at 3.30 am and darshan available till 11:30 pm. Evening it open at 4 pm and darshan available till 7:30 pm. Pants, Jeans, Bermuda, etc are not allowed inside. Gents need to remove the shirt and should wear Dhoti and ladies saree/churidar. In the case of churidar, Dhoti needs to wear over the churidar. Dhoti available in front of the temple shop for Rs 50 per piece onwards. Small wallets, cameras, mobile phones, bags, etc are not allowed inside the temple.
Padmanabha Swany Temple Darshan Timing:
Morning – 03:30 hrs to 04:30 hrs, 06:30 hrs to 07:00 hrs, 08:30 hrs to 10:00 hrs & 10:30 hrs till 12:00 hrs.
Evening – 17:00 hrs to 18:30 hrs and 18:45 hrs to 19:30 hrs.
2) Puthen Maliga Palace Museum:
Puthanmalika also known as the Kuthiramalika palace museum is located very close to Sri Padmanabha Swamy temple is one of the must-see places in Trivandrum. This is a 200 yr old place of erstwhile Maharaja of Travancore and now converted as a museum. The main attraction of the palace is the traditional Kerala architecture marvel especially wooden carving, 122 horse structure curved in wooden brackets that support the room. Therefore this palace is also called Kuthira (horse) maliga (Palace) – Kuthiramalika palace. This is a must-see place for the tourist who loves to see the traditional old place, architecture, etc. Alongside the museum, there is another Art gallery on the same premises showcasing pictures of the royal family on various occasions.
Things to know for Puthen Maliga Palace Museum:
- Opening at 09:00 hrs till 12:30 hrs and 14:00 hrs to 16:45 hrs. Monday Closed.
- Entry is subject to payment of an entry fee. Foreign tourists to pay Rs 150, Domestic tourist Rs 50, Children Rs 15.
- Inside photography is restricted. A mobile phone needs to be switched off.
- Photo/video charges outside museum within the palace complex are – video – Rs 300, camera Rs 50 and Mobile Rs 20.
- Entry fee inclusive of guide charges.
- Footwear will not be allowed inside the palace.
- The mobile photo needs to be switched off before entering the palace.
- Handbags, shoulder bags, etc will not be allowed and you need to keep in the clock room free of charge.
- There is an annual classical music festival is conducted every year from -6 Jan to 10 Jan which is being attended by the best musicians in India.
- The total time required to visit this complex and museum is approx an hour.
3) Sri Chithra Art Gallery:
Sri Chithra art gallery was opened to the public in the year 1935. Basically this art gallery displays paintings of Royal House of Travancore and Kilimanoor Royal family. Apart from a painting of Raja Ravi Verma, paintings from Bengal School, Russian artists Nicholas Roerich and his son Svetoslav Roerich, contemporary paints and murals. Tanjore paintings, Art from Bali, Tibetian, Mugal, Rajasthani paintings add a feather to the cap.
Tips for Sri Chithra Art Gallery –
- Visiting from 10:00 hrs till 17:00 hrs. Wednesday open from 13:00 hrs till 15:00 hrs.
- Last entry available at 16:25 hrs.
- Monday closed
4) Napier Museum:
The Napier Museum was designed by Robert Chisholm who was then architect of Govt of Madras, built and opened to the public in the year 1880 by Ayillyam thirunal Maharaja of erstwhile Travancore Kingdom. The museum was named after Lord John Napier, the then Governor-General of Madras. Also known as Govt Art Museum, it has a fairly collection of exhibits of more than 550 numbers. These collections are of dates back to the 18th Century include mainly metal sculptures of Chola, Chera, Vijayanagara and Naik style. Wood and stone sculptures from different styles of South India, ivory and musical instruments, ancient coins, old burial urns, wooden ornamental box, temple chariot, ceremonial lamps all add to its attraction.
Tips for Napier Museum-
- The entry fee is Rs 20 for Indians and Rs 50 for foreigners.
- Photography not allowed.
- Open from 10:00 hrs till 16:45 hrs on all days. Monday closed. Wednesday entry from 13:00 hrs till 16:45 hrs.
- It takes approximately 1.5 hrs to see all the displayed items in detail.
- No guide service available.
- Better download Napier museum app, show this at each item and you will get details or extra information.
Departure back to Kovalam and leisure at the beach resort. Overnight stay in Kovalam Beach.
Trivandrum Travel Tips:
- In case you are visiting family with kids, there are many other sightseeing options available in Trivandrum. Magic Planet, Veli lake, and tourist village, Shangumugam beach, Neyyar wildlife sanctuary, the famous vax museum, etc are few where family and kids will enjoy. You can replace the present sightseeing with these (except Neyyar wildlife) or consider staying one more night in Trivandrum or Kovalam.
- If you are on a religious trip to Trivandrum, it’s recommended to stay in Trivandrum instead of Kovalam.
- The famous temples in Trivandrum are Sree Padmanabha Swamy temple, Pazavangadi Ganapathy Temple, Attukal Bhagavathi temple, Palkulangara Devi temple, etc.
Day 7. Kovalam – Trivandrum
Today is the last day of your trip. Just relax and check out at 12 pm, it takes approximately 30 mins to reach Trivandrum. Drop at Trivandrum airport, or railway station/bus stand. Tour ends.
Important Travel Tips for 6 Nights 7 Days Kerala Tour Package:
- If you want to select this package and customize it according to your choice of hotels, it’s possible.
- We have mentioned different sightseeing options which include some of the famous temples. In case you are not interested in visiting any particular sightseeing point or temple, we can modify this itinerary to suit your requirements.
- In case you want to add any other sightseeing places or destinations or temples, we can do the same for you. Please contact us.
- In case if you have any other mode of arrival, we are open to provide the service.
- If your arrival is in the afternoon or evening, its advisable to stay at Kochi and start your trip the next day morning.
- In case you reach early morning before 6 am, proceeding immediately to Munnar is not possible. It’s advisable to have a Non-ac fresh up room for an hour or two for which a minimum of Rs 500 will be charged extra.
- Minimum 2 nights stay at Munnar required to have a relaxing trip and to see most of the good places. If you are staying only 1 night, then you just get a half-day to enjoy the place.
- This program is inclusive of a private houseboat. You can also choose a resort instead of a Houseboat.
- You can also start this package on a reverse order without any increase in the prices.
- This is a private trip for the booking guest and not shared with any other guest. Some of the common sightseeing is on sharing basis like boating in Periyar wildlife, Rajamali national park, etc.
- As per the above program, the last day is free. If your departure is by evening, you can go to Poovar or Kanyakumari for a day trip. Taxi charges will be extra.
- Your departure should be from Trivandrum. In case your departure is from Kochi, travel by road from Trivandrum to Kochi is 7hrs. If your flight or train departure is by noon or earlier, below are the options available.
- Keep the same program, instead of two nights in Kovalam, stay only one night and then stay one night in Kochi.
- After Thekkedy, instead of Houseboat, go direct to Kovalam which is almost 6hrs drive. This is also possible without any changes in the sightseeing program.
- In case your departure from Kochi and that too in the afternoon or evening, Fort Kochi sightseeing can be included with slight changes in the package price
Things to Shop in Kerala:
Since Kerala is a consumer state, the best options for shopping are below.
- Banana Chips – if you want to buy freshly packed chips, you can buy this from a couple of chips shops located before reaching the airport.
- Souvenirs – many handmade artifacts about Kerala and its culture is available from most of the souvenirs shops located at Munnar, Thekkedy, and Trivandrum.
- Coffee & tea – The best available place is shopping at Munnar.
- Spices – All types of spices are cheaper in Thekkedy shops rather than Munnar.
- Ladies’ traditional sarees are available from any clothing shops. It cost approx Rs 600 onwards per piece.
- Ayurvedic products – Oils, soaps, and many ayurvedic products are recommended.
Tips for How to Reduce Package Cost:
Below are the eight tips as to how you can reduce this package price-
- Travel as a group. Try to travel as a group like two couples or three couples; this will reduce the price considerably.
- Reduce the taxi cost. As per the above program, your approximate taxi charges will be 15500. You can use this taxi till the houseboat and the next day you can go to Trivandrum by train from Aleppey. This will reduce the taxi charges.
- Use similar hotels. If you choose a similar hotel outside of the main center, it will reduce the price. Like the Aranyaka resort in Munnar is in a good location which costs Rs 4500 per night. Similar hotel little far off like The Wind will cost Rs 3000.
- Instead of staying in Kovalam, you can stay in Trivandrum to reduce the cost as Kovalam hotels are costlier during seasons. You can choose a conducted tour for Trivandrum and Kovalam local sightseeing.
- At present private houseboat is included. Choose a sharing houseboat to reduce the cost. Please go here to know problems in sharing a houseboat.
- Instead of Houseboat in Aleppey, stay in a resort and choose a shikhara or country boat for a backwater trip.
- Travel by local bus. Normally this is being used by foreign backpackers and budget guests. On arrival, Aluva to Munnar by local bus, in Munnar sightseeing by three-wheeler auto, Munnar to Thekkedy by local bus, Thekkedy to Aleppey by local bus and by train from Alleppey to Trivandrum.
To reduce the cost, you can still join a group. But unfortunately, there are no conducted tours or group tour operates by tour operators in Kerala
Cost for Given Package:
|Destination||Deluxe Option I||Deluxe Option II||Premium||Luxury||Luxury Option II, 5 star or similar|
|Munnar 2 night||Bell Mount Or Las Palmas||Hotel C7 OR Misty Mountain Resort||Aranyaka Resort||Tall Trees OR Tea country OR Elixier Hills||Fragrant Nature resort Or Blanket Resort|
|Thekkedy (Periyar) 1 night||Sandra Palace Or Wood Side Residency||Summit Hampton Or Jungle Park||Tree Top Or Wood Note||Mountain Court Yard Or Forest Canopy||Green Woods 4 star|
|Lake View Houseboat www.lakeview houseboat.com 1 night||Private Deluxe AC Houseboat||Private Deluxe AC Houseboat||Premium Private AC Houseboat||Private Luxury Fully glass covered Full time AC Mosquito or insect free houseboat||Private Luxury Fully glass covered Full time AC Mosquito or insect free houseboat|
|Kovalam 2 nights||Howa beach resort Or Ocean Bay||Sagara beach resort Or Soma Palm Shore Or Neelakanda||Hotel Samudra Or Port Palace||Poovar Island Resort OR Estuary island resort||The Leela (Ravis) Or Taj Green Cove|
|Cost for 2 adults With sedan ac car 1 room||Rs 40800||Rs 47300||Rs 51700||Rs 67900||Rs 98000|
|Cost for 4 adults 2 rooms AC Tavera or Maruti Ertica car||Rs 63600||Rs 76800||Rs 89200||Rs 120600||Rs 176124|
|Additional Cost for child 6- 11yrs without Bed||Rs 3750||Rs 3750||Rs 5900||Rs 12500||Rs 13000|
|Adult with Extra bed||Rs 5650||Rs 5650||Rs 8000||Rs 5100||Rs 17800|
Tour Cost Includes:
- A/c Accommodation except Hill Station (Munnar &Thekkedy) on twin sharing basis with Daily Breakfast.
- There is no B/F on the day of arrival
- AC car for all the transfers and local sightseeing as per the given itinerary.
- Well experienced and bilingual driver till the departure
- All the expenses related to the vehicle (toll, tax, parking, permits, driver batta, etc)
- Child below 5 yrs sharing same bed with parents will be complimentarily
- Hotel Check in at 12 pm and check out at 10 am.
- Driver is available from Morning 6 am to evening 6 or 7 pm.
- In case of arrival early morning before 6am, additional charges will be applicable for the car.
- Non ac fresh up room for an hour, if required, in case of your arrival is before 7am.
- All the applicable taxes
- Boating in periyar wild life sanctuary
- Plantation tour in Thekkedy.
- Kathakali and Kalaripayattu show at Munnar or Thekkedy.
- Cruise time from 12:00 hrs to 17:30 hrs with 1 hr lunch break. Next day trip from 08:00 hrs to 09:00 hrs.
- Welcome drink, Lunch, evening coffee/tea and snacks, Dinner and Next day breakfast & Mineral water included.
- The menu is fixed and in case of any additional food will be charged extra.
- AC working time: Deluxe and premium: 21:00 hrs to 07:00 hrs.
- Luxury: 24 hrs AC.
Tour Cost Does Not Includes:
- The packages do not include Air/Train tickets, Airport tax, Entry fees, Monuments, Guide fees, Camera Charges, Massages, Elephant Safaris, Personal expenses like laundry, tips, and telephone calls, Optional Tours, Travel Insurance, etc.
- Children upto the age of 5 yrs is complimentary while staying with parents without any childbed or extra bed.
- Optional activities mentioned in the itinerary & anything not mentioned in the above package.
- Taxi cost inclusive of pick up from Kochi airport and Drop at Trivandrum airport. In case of back to Kochi airport, Extra Rs 1000 will be charged.
- In case of payment made by credit card or debit card service charge of 2.5% and 1% will be charged extra.
- Strike in Kerala. Due to strikes called by political parties, safe driving of car and driver is difficult. In that case, alternative arrangements with the permission of guest will be made and expenses incurred due to the same is not included and will be charged additional.
- The Hotels you selected according to your budget.
- We recommend you to check reviews and location of hotels in the Trip advisor to make sure it is as per your preference and on arrival in case you want to change the hotel, retention charges or additional charges for the new hotels needs to be paid.
- Taxi used to revisit the same place already visited will be charged extra.
- No portion of the tour will be refunded in case of any sightseeing place not visited due to any particular reason.