Overview of 2 Nights 3 Days Kumarakom to Munnar Tour Package:
This two days weekend trip is designed for those who want to visit Kumarakom backwaters and Munnar in a short period of three days. We have planned this trip in such a way that you have good sightseeing in Munnar as well as Kumarakom. The main advantage of 2 nights 3 days kumarakom Munnar weekend package is that it covers Kumarakom village, Vembanad lake and the must-see places in Munnar. Since the distance from Kumarakom to Munnar is around 175 kms and it takes a small car 5 hrs by road, this package can’t be considered as a relaxing trip.
Kumarakom is a small village located on the Vembanadu lakeside. Those who think of staying in a village during their Kerala trip, Kumarakom is an idle place. The main sources of income of locals are from tourism. Apart from this, fishing, farming, and toddy tapping, etc are also making a part of their income. On the sightseeing part, there is nothing much to do except enjoying the scenic beauty of Vembanad lake, the short sunset cruise or a narrow canal trip.
Located at a height of 1450-1695 m, this is one of the best hill stations in Kerala which tourists cannot avoid visiting. It stood first in the domestic and international tourism due to its greenery, tea plantations, waterfalls, viewpoints, cool climate, mountains – a combination of all these make Munnar No 1 destination.
How to Reach:
1) Arrival by Flight-
Kochi Airport (Cok) is the most suitable airport for arrival and departure. It takes approximately 2.5 hrs to Kumarakom and 3.5 hrs to Munnar.
2) Arrival By Train or Bus–
Since the trip is starting from Kumarakom, Kottayam railway station or the Bus stand is the most suitable place to reach. The other railway stations which are closer to Kumarakom are Chertala. You can also come to Ernakulam railway station which is approximately 2 hrs from Kumarakom.
As per this program, your trip is ending at Munnar. Munnar Bus stand is the convenient departure place in case you have an interstate bus available. Aluva railway station is the nearest boarding point in case departure by train. Ernakulam railway station (ERN or ERS) are also suitable.
Arrival and Departure time:
- The hotel check-in is at 12 pm. You can reach any time before.
- If you are coming by early morning or any time before 10 am, since the check-in of the hotel is at 12 pm, either you need to wait at the hotel or to have a fresh up room. The same can be arranged at extra cost.
- In case you are reaching midnight, you need to stay in any hotel accommodation at extra cost.
4 Highlights of Kumarakom Munnar Tour Package:
- Local pick up and drop.
- Well experienced behaved driver cum guide for the trip.
- 3 hrs Kumarakom backwater trip with the sunset cruise.
- 30% discount on ayurvedic body massage at Kumarakom.
Day 1: Kottayam Railway station to Kumarakom
Arrival at Kottayam railway station or Bus stand. Our representative will meet, receive and transfer to Kumarakom which is 16 kms by road and it takes 20 mins. Arrival and transfer to the hotel. Leisure at the resort. Afternoon half-day Kumarakom sightseeing.
Sightseeing options and activities available
1) Bird sanctuary:
This is located on the lakeside and the entry is from the main road. It takes approximately an hour to see this forest and after walking 1000 meters, you can see an erected watchtower from where you can see the birds. The season for migratory birds is from Feb onwards for 4 months. Walking inside the sanctuary is a good experience.
2) Driftwood Museum:
Being run by a private family, these driftwoods displayed in the museum brought from the Andaman Islands. Visiting time is from 10 am till 4 pm
3) 3 hrs Backwater shikara trip cum sunset the cruise:
Kumarakom is a small fishing village with lots of small canals. We arrange a shikara or a country boat trip to see Kumarakom backwaters, narrow canals, villages, paddy fields, etc. This shikara will also take you to Vembanad lake to visit Pathiramanal island. Experience sunset and the shikara trip ends.
Note: Overnight stay in a hotel.
Day 2: Kumarakom itinerary to Munnar
Kumarakom to Munnar by a small car will take around 5 hrs by road. Since you are staying only one night, we recommend you should have your B/F early and proceed to Munnar at 08:00 hrs. On the way, you can see below waterfalls. You can spend some time there and then proceed to Munnar. In case you are going back from Ernakulam or Kochi, you can visit these waterfalls on the last day also.
1) Cheeyappara Waterfalls:
This is located on the Kochi – Munnar highway on the left side of the road. This is a good place to have photos, but no bathing is allowed as rocks used to slippery. There is no entry fee or parking fee that needs to be given. There are couples of small shops selling local food items. 15-20 mins halt is recommended.
2) Valera Waterfalls:
After Cheeyappara you can see another waterfall on the right side. You cannot see this nearby. We do not recommend even a photo stop as this is not so important waterfalls.
Proceed directly to the hotel, fresh up, have your lunch at Munnar city as there are many cheap restaurants available. After lunch, at 14:00 hrs we have planned your half-day trip to Eravikulam national park.
Eravikulam (Rajamali) National Park:
Eravikulam national park having an area of 97 sq km is the first national park in Kerala. The Park protects endemic and endangered Nilgiri Tahr, a rare species of mountain goat, and its habitat. The park has the largest stretch of undisturbed shoal-grassland ecosystems in the western ghats. Anamudi which is 2695 meters in height is the highest peak south of Himalayas is located within this park. Before becoming a National Park, the area is the hunting reserve of the colonial tea planters. It takes approximately 30mins drive to the entry point. On reaching the entry point, you need to show the online booking details or you can buy tickets from this counter itself. From the ticket counter till the entry gate of Eravikulam, it’s almost 20mins in a minibus which is being provided by the park. On reaching the entry points, you need to walk the steep pathways for almost 40mins to see the Nilgiri Thar and Anamudi Peak. This is also a good place to have beautiful mountain photographs.
Eravikulam Travel Tips-
- Book your tickets online.
- Entry ticket is Rs 125 for domestic tourists and Rs 400 for foreigners.
- Best time to visit in the early morning or afternoon.
- No food or water bottles allowed.
- The washroom is available for both gents and ladies.
- Not accessible by wheelchair.
- Cafeteria and snack bar available at the waiting place.
- To see the Nilgiri Thar and Anamudi peak, you need to hike approximately 40 mins. Those who have breathing problems should avoid this.
- Carry raincoat in rainy seasons. Umbrella is a must for all seasons.
- This park is closed during Feb and Mar for breeding and calving every year.
- Max 2hrs required to complete the visit in case there is no rush.
By the time you complete the visit to this park, it may be evening. Arrival back to the hotel and check-in. Overnight stay in the Hotel.
Day 3: Munnar
Today is your last day of the trip. We have planned your half-day sightseeing from 0830hrs till 13:00 hrs. B/F, check out from the hotel, carry your luggage and proceed for sightseeing. We have planned your sightseeing on the other route to Kundala lake from Munnar town. This includes a rose garden, Mattupetty dam and boating center, photo point, echo point, and Kundala lake.
1) Kundala Dam:
Kundala Dam was constructed for Pallivasal Hydro Electric Project in 1946 and considered to be Asia’s No 1 arch dam. This place is located between Top Station and Munnar town, therefore, it’s easy for visiting. Considered as one of the best scenic spots for photography, you can also have activities like the pedal boat, speed boat or shikara kind of trip available in the lake.
Kundala Dam Travel Tips-
- Irrespective of any restrictions, tourists from all walks of life can access this place.
- Entry to this place is free. In case you want to have some activities like boating in lake, horse riding, etc, all these are available here which is chargeable.
- If you are doing any boating activity in any other lake in Munnar, this can be avoided.
- It takes hardly 15-20 mins here to experience, in case you do not need any other activities.
2) Echo Point:
This is nothing much important about this place. If you make a loud noise, your voice will return to you as you have a big hill just opposite of you after the lake. But more than that, this is one of the best places to have a photo of the lake close by. Entry to this place is restricted with an entry fee of Rs 20 per person.
3) Tea Plantation Visit-
On the way to Top station or while coming back to the city, you can see very scenic tea plantations. In case you want to visit, see or want to have photos, you can do this. There is no entry fee or charges need to pay. You should know that the whole Munnar is tea plantations and you can get good photos not necessarily from one particular place, but anywhere in Munnar.
4) Mattupetty Dam-
Maudpetty dam is located 13 kms away from Munnar city towards Top station and it takes 20 mins to drive by road. Mattupetty can be narrated like the confluence of mountain, lake, and greenery. You will get the best photos and some breathtaking moments of your holiday. Unlike Kundala, Mattupetty made elaborate arrangements for tourist comfort. It has a washroom, tourist facilitation center where coffee shop, snack bar, cowboy park, children park with swing, speed boat in the lake, etc available. The best experience of Madupetty is first going to the boating center or tourist facilitation center, if interested do the boating and come to the dam and take some of the best photos.
Mattupetty Dam Travel Tips-
- Try to walk from Kundala to Madupetty dam and you can see tallest blue gum trees, in case you have time.
- You can skip in case you are coming from a place where there are lots of lakes and mountains.
- This place is accessible for all irrespective of handicapped or wheelchaired.
- Very good place for family with kids outing.
- This place is best for a small shopping in handicrafts and souvenirs.
- There are no restaurants available but hot noodles and local snacks are available. During holidays, weekend and tourist season, this place is jam-packed. You may need to wait up to an hr to get boating tickets or Parking car.
- Take beautiful photos from the Mattupetty Dam. After the boating travel to the dam, come out of the car from one end of the dam and walk to other ends. You can take good photos from the middle as vehicles are not allowed to park on the dam.
5) Rose Garden-
This is a kind of botanical garden maintained by the KTDC Floriculture Centre. Not only roses but a different variety of flowers are available and a good place to have memorable photos. This garden is located 5kms away on the top station roadside and entry is restricted with an entry fee of Rs 50 per person.
- Since there are steps, handicapped or wheelchaired persons advised not to visit this place.
- A washroom facility is available for the public.
- You can buy favorite plants from the rose garden.
All these sightseeing will be over by 13:00 hrs. You can have your lunch at Munnar city. Those who have booked their return bus ticket from Munnar, we will drop them by 16:00 hrs. Otherwise departure for Kochi after a small shopping in Munnar town. Departure for Ernakulum or Kochi airport. It takes almost 4 hrs drive to reach Airport or Ernakulam. We have not planned any sightseeing at Kochi. Finally, drop at the airport or railway station and tour ends.
Munnar Travel Tips:
- On the way from Kumarakom to Munnar, we have included Valera and Cheeyappara waterfalls. Since these falls depend on raining water, these falls may be dry during summertime or if there is not raining.
- During the tourist season, weekend and holidays, there will be a huge rush due to local guests. Sometimes this leads to a terrific traffic block and may trap for a couple of hours. Therefore, ensure that you keep the timing mentioned in this program.
- The above program is not possible in case your hotel is too far off of Munnar like Adimali, Chinnakanal, Eeticity, Anachal, Kunjithanni, but SreesTours select and provide hotels which are located within Munnar only. Please go here to know where to stay in Munnar.
- If your trip is during Feb or Mar when the Eravikulam park is closed, you can visit a tea factory, Lockhart gap viewpoint, etc.
- This entire program may disrupt in case there is heavy rain. Visiting Top station or Eravikulam, during heavy monsoon is not possible.
- Apart from Hotels, there is a variety of other stay options available like Tree House, private pool villa, jacuzzi and bathtub rooms, honeymoon cottage, resorts with a view to a tea plantation, tent, and camp stay.
- Apart from the standard sightseeing program mentioned above, you can also experience the below attractions or activities in Munnar. We recommend staying more days to experience all these.
- Sunrise at Top station.
- Off-road Jeep safari.
- Guided soft hiking of 2 hrs or hard hiking of 4 hrs and visit beautiful mountains, grasslands, and tea plantation.
- Guided hiking and camping in Swiss tents.
Important Travel Tips:
- In case your train is not coming either of the railway stations i.e. Cherthala or Kottayam you can come to Ernakulam railway station.
- In Kumarakom, instead of a resort which is included, you can opt to stay in a houseboat which will cost extra.
- Kumarakom backwater trip in Shikara included. You can choose a houseboat for a day trip which will cost extra.
- It’s not necessary to stay in Kumarakom which is expensive. You can come to Kumarakom, have a full day tour and then proceed to Munnar. Please contact us for a customized tour for you.
- If you want to select this package and want to customize it as per your choices, it can be easily be done.
- This package is exclusively private for the booking guest.
- If you want to add one more night to this package with a beach destination, Mararikulam or Cherai Beach is recommended.
- Check-in and check-out time mentioned above is common and some of the hotel’s check-in is at 2 pm and check out is 11 am.
Shopping in Kerala:
Kerala is basically a consumer state; therefore, we recommend not to buy clothes, electronic items, etc. Below are the recommended simple items you can buy.
- All types of species, Coffee & Tea – the best place to buy these are in the Munnar market.
- Banana Chips – You can get fresh banana chips from Munnar.
- Kerala Traditional Saree – this is available in all textile shops. But try to avoid Kashmiri shops.
- Best gift items are artifacts of Kathakali, houseboats, etc. These are available to buy from Munnar and Kumarakom.
6 Tips to Reduce the Package Cost:
Below are the tips to reduce the cost in case you found this expensive.
- Travel in Group. If you travel as a group like 4 adults or 6 adults, the package price will considerably reduce.
- This package includes a private ac car. Go for a local bus ride from Kottayam to Kumarakom. All buses from Kottayam to Cherthala or Vykom is going via Kumarakom. You can get this bus just in front of the railway station or bus stand. Use local travel by 3 wheeler auto.
- Travel from Kumarakom to Munnar by local bus. Though not frequently available, you can go by local bus. Use local travel in Munnar by three-wheeler auto.
- Munnar to Ernakulam railway station. There are frequent buses available from the Munnar bus stand to Ernakulam railway station.
- While considering travel by bus, one should know that the taxi charges are approximately Rs 6000 included in the above package. When you are choosing a bus, you may lose the timing, sightseeing places, etc. A bus normally takes almost 7 hrs to reach Munnar and Munnar to Kochi approximately 4-5 hrs.
- Kumarakom hotels are expensive. You can keep this program, instead of staying in Kumarakom, proceed to Munnar.
- This package inclusive of three hours shikara ride. You can choose a local ferry service to see the Vembanad lake which will reduce the cost.
Cost for Given Package:
|Destination||Deluxe Option I||Deluxe Option II||Premium||Luxury|
|Kumarakom 1 night||Lake Palace||Backwater Brook OR Royal Rivera||Backwater ripples||AVEDA|
|Munnar 1 night||Glen more Resort Or Las Palms Or Bell mount||Hotel C 7 Or Clouds Valley||Aranyaka resort Or Tea village resort||Tall Trees Or Tea country resort|
|Cost for 2 adults / 1 room||Rs 16400||Rs 17800||Rs 20900||Rs 29400|
|Cost for 4 adults/ 2 rooms||Rs 21900||Rs 26400||Rs 32800||Rs 50900|
|Child Charges Up to 10 yrs without bed||Rs 1200||Rs 1200||Rs 2100||Rs 3600|
|Extra Adult Charges||Rs 1800||Rs 1800||Rs 3000||Rs 4900|
Tour Cost Includes:
- A/c Accommodation on twin sharing basis with Daily Breakfast.
- Private shikara trip for 3 hrs.
- Hotel Check-in at 12 pm and check out at 10 am.
- All the applicable taxes.
- AC sedan car for the trip including all the expenses.
- Well experienced and bilingual driver till the departure.
- All the expenses related to the vehicle (toll, tax, parking, permits, driver batta, etc)
Tour Cost Does Not Includes:
- The packages do not include Air/Train tickets, Airport tax, Entry fees, Monuments, Guide fees, Camera Charges, Massages, Elephant Safaris, Personal expenses like laundry, tips, and telephone calls, Optional Tours, Travel Insurance, etc.
- Children upto the age of 5 yrs is complimentary while staying with parents without any childbed or extra bed.
- Optional activities mentioned in the itinerary & anything not mentioned in the above package.
- In case of payment made by cr card or debit card service charge of 2.5% and 1% will be charged extra.
- Strike in Kerala. Due to strikes called by political parties, safe driving of car and driver is difficult. In that case, alternative arrangements with the permission of guest will be made and expenses incurred due to the same is not included and will be charged additionally.
- The Hotels you selected according to your budget. Changing the hotels on the last minute due to any complaint is not possible.
- We recommend you to check reviews and location of hotels in the Trip advisor to make sure it is as per your preference and on arrival in case you want to change the hotel, retention charges or additional charges for the new hotels needs to be paid.
- Taxi used to revisit the same place already visited will be charged extra.
- No portion of the tour will be refunded in case of any sightseeing place not visited due to any particular reason.