Pick up / Check in :
Trivandrum Airport/ Railway station/ Bus stand
Drop at / Check out :
Trivandrum Airport/ Railway station/ Bus stand
Overview of Trivandrum Kovalam Kanyakumari Tour Package:
This weekend package covers the best three locations of south Kerala. Those who like to visit Trivandrum city, temple and palace, the best beach in south India ie Kovalam, the south end of India ie Kanyakumari with lots of good sightseeing, this package is idle for them. Since this package is created in such a way that you have adequate time in all the places so that all the sightseeing can be easily covered, therefore, those who love to have a relaxing trip, this package is not idle for them. Other details of this 3 nights 4 days Trivandrum Kovalam Kanyakumari tour package are below.
Earlier known as Travancore, become the capital city of Princely state of Travancore during 1795. So you are visiting a place which is famous for its heritage and culture of the erstwhile Travancore kingdom. You can see old traditional buildings, the wood palace, Kuthiramaliga palace, the famous Sree Padmanabha Swamy temple – all these take you to dates back of history.
Kovalam is located south end of Kerala and famous for its sandy beaches. Though Kerala is located on the Arabian seaside and there are many beaches like Quilon, Varkala, Aleppey, Mararikulam, Cherai, etc available for tourists, but Kovalam beach is identified and developed as a beach destination for tourists. This is the only beach where you can have adventure activities like Scuba diving, Jet sky, fisherman boating, etc.
Earlier known as Cape Cameron, a visit to Kanyakumari gives satisfaction like visiting the end of India. Moreover, there are many good things to see in and around Kanyakumari. Visiting Vivekananda rock memorial or witnessing the beautiful sunrise or sunset, Kanyakumari gives you a memorable trip with family
How to Reach:
1) Arrival & Departure by Flight-
Trivandrum International airport is the best suitable airport near to Poovar.
2) Arrival & Departure by Train-
The nearest railway station is Trivandrum Central. There is one more railway station available in Trivandrum is Kochuveli. This is a little bit outside from Trivandrum but both railway stations are suitable.
3) Arrival & Departure by Bus-
Trivandrum city has an interstate bus stand where most of the local as well as intercity buses used to come.
Arrival and Departure time:
- Since it’s a short trip, it is always recommended to come as early as possible and proceed back as late as possible. Since the hotel check-in and checkout is at 12 pm, you can reach Trivandrum at 10 am. Your return can be any time after 4 pm.
- In case you are reaching midnight, you need to stay in any hotel accommodation at extra cost.
Day 1: Trivandrum
Arrival Trivandrum at the appropriate time, our representative will meet, receive and transfer to Hotel. Leisure at Hotel. Afternoon sightseeing options.
1) Puthen Maliga Palace Museum:
Puthanmalika also known as the Kuthiramalika palace museum is located very close to Sri Padmanabha Swamy temple is one of the must-see places in Trivandrum. This is a 200 yr old place of erstwhile Maharaja of Travancore and now converted as a museum. The main attraction of the palace is the traditional Kerala architecture marvel especially wooden carving, 122 horse structure curved in wooden brackets that support the room. Therefore this palace is also called Kuthira (horse) maliga (Palace) – Kuthiramalika palace. This is a must-see place for the tourist who loves to see the traditional old place, architecture, etc. Alongside the museum, there is another Art gallery on the same premises showcasing pictures of the royal family on various occasions.
Important Museum Tips:
- Opening at 09:00 hrs till 12:30 hrs and 14:00 hrs to 16:45 hrs. Monday Closed.
- Entry is subject to payment of an entry fee. Foreign tourists to pay Rs 150, Domestic tourist Rs 50, Children Rs 15.
- Inside photography is restricted. A mobile phone needs to be switched off.
- Photo/video charges outside museum within the palace complex are – video – Rs 300, camera Rs 50 and Mobile Rs 20.
- Entry fee inclusive of guide charges.
- Footwear will not be allowed inside the palace.
- The mobile photo needs to be switched off before entering the palace.
- Handbags, shoulder bags, etc will not be allowed and you need to keep in the clock room free of charge.
- There is an annual classical music festival is conducted every year from -6 Jan to 10 Jan which is being attended by the best musicians in India.
- The total time required to visit this complex and museum is approx an hour.
2) Sri Chithra Art Gallery:
Sri Chithra art gallery was opened to the public in the year 1935. Basically this art gallery displays paintings of Royal House of Travancore and Kilimanoor Royal family. Apart from a painting of Raja Ravi Verma, paintings from Bengal School, Russian artists Nicholas Roerich and his son Svetoslav Roerich, contemporary paints and murals. Tanjore paintings, Art from Bali, Tibetian, Mugal, Rajasthani paintings add a feather to the cap.
Art Gallery Tips-
- Visiting from 10:00 hrs till 17:00 hrs. Wednesday open from 13:00 hrs till 15:00 hrs.
- Last entry available at 16:25 hrs.
- Monday closed
3) Napier Museum:
The Napier Museum was designed by Robert Chisholm who was then architect of Govt of Madras, built and opened to the public in the year 1880 by Ayillyam thirunal Maharaja of erstwhile Travancore Kingdom. The museum was named after Lord John Napier, the then Governor-General of Madras. Also known as Govt Art Museum, it has a fairly collection of exhibits of more than 550 numbers. These collections are of dates back to the 18th Century include mainly metal sculptures of Chola, Chera, Vijayanagara and Naik style. Wood and stone sculptures from different styles of South India, ivory and musical instruments, ancient coins, old burial urns, wooden ornamental box, temple chariot, ceremonial lamps all add to its attraction.
- The entry fee is Rs 20 for Indians and Rs 50 for foreigners.
- Photography not allowed.
- Open from 10:00 hrs till 16:45 hrs on all days. Monday closed. Wednesday entry from 13:00 hrs till 16:45 hrs.
- It takes approximately 1.5 hrs to see all the displayed items in detail.
- No guide service available.
- Better download Napier museum app, show this at each item and you will get details or extra information.
Apart from the above, there is much more sightseeing in Trivandrum is available like Magic Planet, heritage walk to see the old traditional building and culture, but you need to stay a minimum of two full days in Trivandrum to cover other attractions.
Note: Overnight stay in the Hotel.
Day 2: Trivandrum
Since visiting early morning time is the best to avoid much of the crowd, we suggest you have an early morning darshan of Sri Padmanabha Swamy Temple. If you start at 06:00 hrs, you can visit the temple between 0630 hrs to 07:00 hrs. Please have a look at the darshan timing.
Sree Padmanabha Swamy Temple:
Padmanabha Swamy temple – Open at 4 am and darshan available till 12:00 pm. Evening it open at 4 pm and darshan available till 8 pm. Pants, Jeans, Bermuda, etc are not allowed inside. Gents need to remove the shirt and should wear Dhoti and ladies saree/churidar. In the case of churidar, Dhoti needs to wear over the churidar. Dhoti available in front of the temple shop for Rs 50 per piece onwards. Small wallets, cameras, mobile phones, bags, etc are not allowed inside the temple.
Padmanabha Swany Temple Darshan Timing:
Morning – 03:30 hrs to 04:30 hrs, 06:30 hrs to 07:00 hrs, 08:30 hrs to 10:00 hrs & 10:30 hrs till 12:00 hrs.
Evening – 17:00 hrs to 18:30 hrs and 18:45 hrs to 19:30 hrs.
- You can have a special darshan at Rs 250 for 2 adults. This is inclusive of offering thali with flowers and prasadam in return. Special darshan gives you access without any queue and may take an overall 20 mins.
- You need to keep all your belonging in the car or hotel before the entrance.
- Footwear keeping place available just outside the temple gate on payment.
- The idol inside the temple is Lord Vishnu in the form of Ananda Sayana. The sanctum sanctorum has three doors. You need to start darshan from left to right side starting the face, hands with lotus and legs.
- You need to have an hour to visit the temple.
- Only Hindus are allowed inside.
B/F at Hotel, Check and proceed to Kanyakumari by 09:00 hrs. It takes approximately 2.5 hrs to drive from Trivandrum to Kanyakumari. We are supposed to cover most of the sightseeing in one day including sunset at Kanyakumari. Below are the best sightseeing options on the way to Kanyakumari.
- Padmanabhapuram Palace
- Mathur Aqueduct
- Vattakottai Fort
- Vivekananda rock
- Thiruvalluvar Statue
- Kanyakumari Beach
- Triveni Sangam
- Mayapuri Wonder Wax Museum
- Mahatma Gandhi Mandapam
- Observation Tower
- Sunset View Point
Read our other article One day trip from Kovalam to Kanyakumari for detailed information about these places and in case you want to skip anything, it’s possible.
Note: Overnight in Kanyakumari Hotel.
Day 3: Kanyakumari to Kovalam
Early morning witness a spectacular sunrise at Kanyakumari. You can go to the beachside where most people come in the early morning to see the sunrise. You can also see this from your hotel itself. In that case, please take help from the hotel staff.
B/F at the hotel, check out at 09:00 hrs and proceed to Kovalam. On the way to Kovalam, you can visit below sightseeing options, if interested.
Get detailed information about this temple in a day trip from Kovalam to Kanyakumari article along with travel advice.
Poovar is one of the beautiful place located on the way from Kovalam to Kanyakumari. Few attractions of Poovar are – golden sand beach, one of the beautiful beaches, bird watching through mangrove forest and boating in backwaters of Poovar. One needs to hire a motorboat for this trip and it takes approximately 1.5 hrs to cover all these sightseeings. A speed boat will cost Rs 2500 for 4 adults. If you have already planned your trip to Alleppey backwaters, this is not an important sightseeing option.
Arrival at Kovalam and leisure at resort. Afternoon sightseeing options from 15:30 hrs onwards.
1) Vizhinjam Lighthouse:
Kovalam lighthouse is also called a Vizinjam lighthouse is located on the beachside of Kovalam. The tower is constructed cylindrically with a total height of 118 ft and 187 ft height from mean sea level. One needs to use the lift and steps to reach the observatory deck to have a good view. One can experience a good view of Kovalam beach, lighthouse beach, and in fact the beautiful Arabian Sea. One of the best places for good photography.
- Payment by the entry fee. Domestic tourist Rs 20, senior citizen and children Rs 10, foreign tourists Rs 50.
- Entry is available from 10:00 hrs till 13:00 hrs and 14:00 hrs to 18:00 hrs. Entry closes at 16:30 hrs.
- Closed on every Monday.
- Lift available from 1st floor to 3rd From the ground floor to 1st floor and 3rd floor to 4th floor you need to round shape steps to reach the top.
- Not advisable for people with knee problems.
- The best time to visit is in the morning at 10 am to avoid the rush in the evening. There will be too much rush during the weekend and holidays.
- Due to the menace of stray dogs, do not go alone for an early morning or evening walking on the beach.
2) Marine Research Aquarium:
This is located in Vizinjam, just a few minutes’ walk from Lighthouse beach. A small aquarium displaying some precious collection of marine life. The entry fee is Rs 20 and used to close on Monday. Since there is nothing important, visit this if you have spare time.
3) Lighthouse beach:
The entire Kovalam is on the Arabian seaside so you go anywhere, you can experience the beach. But there are only two beaches called lighthouse beach and Hawa beach (also called as eve beach) where you can have activities like scuba diving, swimming, jet sky, etc. Hawa beach is used by local fishermen and sand is black.
Important Beach Tips-
- Swimming on the beach is not allowed after 18:30 hrs.
- During season or rush time, all the activities need to be booked in advance in case interested.
- Monsoon in Kerala starts during the 1st week of Jun till Aug end and the beach is not idle for swimming.
- Beach shakers and umbrellas available from Rs 200 onwards.
- Lifeguards and tourist police help available on the beach.
- Washroom available but NO bathing arrangement available.
- It will be crowded with local tourists during holidays and weekends.
- In case your hotel is not nearby, carry your extra towel, changing clothes, etc.
4) Hawa Beach:
Hawa beach – locally called Eves beach, is located just opposite the north side of the lighthouse beach. Compare to the lighthouse beach, this is a small black sand beach and not idle for swimming. This beach is overcrowded during weekend days by local tourists, no proper waste management by authorities, therefore, dirt is everywhere, fisherman keeps their items for the fishing like small wooden boats, diesel barrels, etc. Due to all these reasons, it’s advisable to skip this place or recommended having just visited the beach during your holiday.
Important Beach Tips-
- Restaurants are not available on this beach.
- Lifeguards monitoring system available.
- Only a few sunbed and umbrella rentals on this beach.
- Water sports like Jetski, speed boat, and catamaran drive available in the boat.
- The best time to visit is early morning or afternoon.
- No washroom or bathing arrangements on this beach.
- This beach is having a paid vehicle parking area where ladies washrooms available.
Day 4: Kovalam – Trivandrum
Today is the last day of your trip. Just relax and check out at 12 pm, it intakes’ approximately 30 mins to reach the airport. Drop at Trivandrum airport, or railway station/bus stand. Tour ends.
Important Travel Tips:
- If you want to select this package and to customize it as per your choice, it can easily be done.
- In case you are reaching early morning since the check-in hotel is at 12 pm, you need to wait in the lobby till the rooms are ready. In case rooms are available, you will get an early check-in but this is exclusive decision of hotels.
- If you are not interested in visiting, you can opt to check out from the hotel by 12 pm.
- Trivandrum airport is just 30 mins drive and Railway station 20 min by road. In case if you have evening or late evening flight or train, you can check out from the hotel, keep the luggage and then proceed to Trivandrum city.
- If you are NOT interested in a temple or religious tour, we can modify this itinerary to suit your requirements.
- The taxi given is just for transfers and sightseeing as per the itinerary.
- If you are going to Rameswaram or Madurai after this trip, it’s advisable to have the Kanyakumari sightseeing on the last day and then you can proceed from there to these locations.
Shopping at Trivandrum:
Since Kerala basically is a consumer state, the best options for shopping are below.
- Banana Chips – if you want to buy freshly packed chips, you can buy this from a couple of chips shops located prior to reaching the airport.
- Souvenirs – many handmade artifacts about Kerala and its culture is available from most of the souvenirs shops. These shops are available at Trivandrum.
- Ladies’ traditional sarees are available from any clothing shops. It cost approx Rs 600 onwards per piece.
- Ayurvedic products – Oils, soaps, and many ayurvedic products are recommended.
Tips for Budget Traveler:
In case if you are not choosing this package due to unbearable cost, below are the guidelines to reduce the cost.
- Try to travel as two couples ie 4 adults / 2 rooms sharing in the same sedan ac car. This will reduce the price.
- Trivandrum to Kovalam and local Trivandrum you can travel in three-wheeler auto, which reduces the cost.
- Conducted sit in coach trips are available from KTDC. This is the cheapest option to reduce costs.
- Instead of staying in Kovalam, you can stay in Trivandrum to reduce the cost as Kovalam hotels are costlier during seasons.
- There are trains available from Trivandrum to Kanyakumari and back. Travel by train will reduce costs.
- You can also travel by local bus from Trivandrum to Kanyakumari and back. At Kanyakumari, since the place is very small, you can choose a three-wheeler auto for local travel. Presently you have a private car for transfers and sightseeing which is costlier.
- To reduce the cost, you can still join a group. But unfortunately, there are no conducted tours or group tours operates by tour operators in Kerala.
Cost for Given Package:
||Deluxe Option 1
||Deluxe Option 2
||Luxury Option II
|Trivandrurm 1 night
||Hotel Maurya Rajadhani
||Classic Sarovar Portico
||Hotel Port Palace Or Appolo Demoro
||Hycinth Trivandrum Or Hilton Tamara
|Kanyakumari 1 night
||Hotel Sun world
||Hotel Sea view
|Kovalam 1 night
||Hawa beach resort Or Ocean Bay Ayurvedic beach resort
||Hotel Neelakanda Or Sagara Beach Resort Or Soma Palm shore
||Hotel Udaya Samdra
||The Leela Or Taj Green Cove
|Cost for 2 adults/1 room
|Cost for 4 adults/ 2 rooms
|Child Charges Up to 10 yrs without bed
|Extra Adult Charges
- The above costs are valid from 01 Oct to 15 Dec and 15 Jan to 31 Mar.
- Cost not valid from 16 Dec to 14 Jan – contact us for revised price-CONTACT US
- Validity from 01 Apr till 31 Sep. This is an offseason and good discount available-CONTACT US
Tour Cost Includes:
- A/c Accommodation on twin sharing basis with Daily Breakfast.
- AC sedan car for all the transfers as per the program given.
- All-inclusive car with well experienced and bilingual driver till the departure.
- All the expenses related to the vehicle (toll, tax, parking, permits, driver batta, etc).
- Hotel Check-in at 12pm and check out at 10 am.
- All the applicable taxes
Tour Cost Does not Includes:
- The packages do not include Air/Train tickets, Airport tax, Entry fees, Monuments, Guide fees, Camera Charges, Massages, Elephant Safaris, Personal expenses like laundry, tips and telephone calls, Optional Tours, Travel Insurance, etc.
- Optional activities mentioned in the itinerary & anything not mentioned in the above package.
- In case of payment made by credit card or debit card service charge of 2.5% and 1% will be charged extra.
- Poovar mangrove forest boating is not included.
- Strike in Kerala. Due to strikes called by political parties, safe driving of car and driver is difficult. In that case, alternative arrangements with the permission of guest will be made and expenses incurred due to the same is not included and will be charged additionally.
- The Hotels you selected according to your budget.
- We recommend you to check reviews and location of hotels in the Trip advisor to make sure it is as per your preference and on arrival in case you want to change the hotel, retention charges or additional charges for the new hotels needs to be paid.
- Taxi used to revisit the same place already visited will be charged extra.
- No portion of the tour will be refunded in case of any sightseeing place not visited due to any particular reason.