Overview of 1 Night 2 Days Trivandrum Kovalam Weekend Tour Package:
This two days trip covers Trivandrum city and Kovalam beach. Those who like to visit Trivandrum city and Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple and palace, the best beach in south India i.e. Kovalam, this package is idle for them. Since this package is created in such a way that you have adequate time in all the places so that all the sightseeing can be easily covered, therefore, those who love to have a relaxing trip; this package is idle for them. Other details of the Trivandrum Kovalam tour package are below:
Trivandrum or Thiruvananthapuram is the capital of Kerala and one of the major tourist attractions of Kerala. It is mainly famous for its beaches and backwaters. However, Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple is the prime attraction of Trivandrum. This temple is the richest in the world. Trivandrum is one of the clean cities of Kerala. So it would be a great journey in this beautiful city of Kerala.
Kovalam is a small town located in Trivandrum. It is mainly famous for its beautiful beaches. People come from all over the world to enjoy the beauty of these beaches. Tourists can do various beach activities like scuba diving, swimming, surfing, Jetski, etc. Apart from beaches, you will find old temples, churches, and mosques to visit here.
How to Reach:
1) Arrival & Departure by Flight-
Trivandrum International airport is the nearest and best suitable airport which is 16 kms and it takes 30 mins by road.
2) Arrival & Departure by Train-
The nearest railway station is Trivandrum Central. Kochuveli is another railway station located in Trivandrum which is a little bit outside of Trivandrum but both railway stations are suitable.
3) Arrival & Departure by Bus-
Trivandrum city has an interstate bus stand where most of the local as well as intercity buses used to come.
Arrival and Departure time:
- Since it’s a short trip, it is always recommended to come as early as possible and proceed back as late as possible. Since the hotel check-in and checkout is at 12 pm, you can reach Trivandrum 10 am. Your return can be any time after 4 pm.
- In case you are reaching midnight, you need to stay in any hotel accommodation at extra cost.
- In case you are reaching early morning, we need to hire a fresh up room which will cost extra.
Day 1: Trivandrum – Kovalam
Upon arrival at Trivandrum airport/Railway station or bus stand, our representative will meet, receive and transfer to the hotel at Kovalam. Check-in hotel and leisure at the resort. Afternoon half-day sightseeing of Kovalam.
1) Vizhinjam Lighthouse:
Vizhinjam lighthouse is located near Kovalam and was one of the busiest seaports in ancient times. This tower was built in 1972. It is believed that this lighthouse is the witness of many historical moments. People do come here to see greenery, towering trees, landscapes, and beautiful ambiance. Being the highest lighthouse in Kovalam it presents an awesome view of the sea.
- Payment by the entry fee. Domestic tourist Rs 20, senior citizen and children Rs 10, foreign tourists Rs 50.
- Entry is available from 10:00 hrs till 13:00 hrs and 14:00 hrs to 18:00 hrs. Entry closes at 16:30 hrs.
- Closed on every Monday.
- Lift available from 1st floor to 3rd From the ground floor to 1st floor and 3rd floor to 4th floor you need to round shape steps to reach the top.
- Not advisable for people with knee problems.
- The best time to visit is in the morning at 10 am to avoid the rush in the evening. There will be too much rush during the weekend and holidays.
- Due to the menace of stray dogs, do not go alone for an early morning or evening walking on the beach.
2) Marine Research Aquarium:
This research aquarium is located within walking distance from the lighthouse beach. This aquarium shows the immense beauty of marine life. Marine research aquarium remains close on Monday and charges of entry fees are 20 rs. You can visit here in spare time
3) Lighthouse beach:
Lighthouse beach is one of the prime attractions of not only Kovalam but also of Kerala. This lighthouse beach is a perfect place for photography. Here you can also enjoy beach activities like swimming, scuba diving.jet ski. You will find silver-colored sand and beautiful palm trees. We can say that Lighthouse beach is must visit the beach of Kovalam.
Important Beach Tips-
- Swimming on the beach is not allowed after 18:30 hrs.
- During season or rush time, all the activities need to be booked in advance in case interested.
- Monsoon in Kerala starts during the 1st week of Jun till Aug end and the beach is not idle for swimming.
- Beach shakers and umbrellas available from Rs 200 onwards.
- Lifeguards and tourist police help available on the beach.
- Washroom available but NO bathing arrangement available.
- It will be crowded with local tourists during holidays and weekends.
- In case your hotel is not nearby, carry your extra towel, changing clothes, etc.
4) Hawa Beach:
Hawa beach is located opposite of lighthouse beach. This beach is considered a beautiful beach in Kovalam. In the early morning, lots of crowed are founded here. Majorly crowd is of the fisherman who depends on the sea for their living. In the evening, tourists visit here to see the sunset and charm of the environment. This beach gets overcrowded in weekends by local people, so it is a recommendation to visit here apart from weekend days
Important Beach Tips-
- Restaurants are not available on this beach.
- Lifeguards monitoring system available.
- Only a few sunbed and umbrella rentals on this beach.
- Water sports like Jetski, speed boat, and catamaran drive available in the boat.
- The best time to visit is early morning or afternoon.
- No washroom or bathing arrangements on this beach.
- This beach is having a paid vehicle parking area where ladies washrooms available.
Kovalam beach activities:
Beach is having many activities like swimming in lighthouse beach, scuba diving, surfing, speed boat, etc. In case interested these activate can be booked on arrival. Some of the items like scuba diving, windsurfing, etc need training and during your weekend holiday days, it may not be possible. Overnight stay in the Hotel.
Day 2 : Kovalam - Trivandrum
Today we have planned visit to Sripadmanabha Swamy temple and half-day Trivandrum city sightseeing. Early b/f and departure for Trivandrum by 08:30 hrs.
1) Sree Padmanabha Swamy Temple:
In Sree Padmanabha Swamy temple Pants, Jeans, Bermuda, etc are not allowed inside. Gents need to remove the shirt and should wear Dhoti and ladies saree/churidar. In the case of churidar, Dhoti needs to wear over the churidar. Dhoti available in front of the temple shop for Rs 50 per piece onwards. Small wallets, cameras, mob phones, bags, etc are not allowed inside the temple.
Padmanabha Swamy temple Darshan Time-
- Morning – 03:30 hrs to 04:30 hrs, 06:30 hrs to 07:00 hrs, 08:30 hrs to 10:00 hrs & 10:30 hrs till 12:00 hrs.
- Evening – 17:00 hrs to 18:30 hrs and 18:45 hrs to 19:30 hrs.
Things to Know Before Visit-
- You can have a special darshan at Rs 250 for 2 adults. This is inclusive of offering thali with flowers and prasadam in return. Special darshan gives you access without any queue and may take an overall 20 mins.
- You need to keep all your belonging in the car or hotel before the entrance.
- Footwear keeping place available just outside the temple gate on payment.
- The idol inside the temple is Lord Vishnu in the form of Ananda Sayana. The sanctum sanctorum has three doors. You need to start darshan from left to right side starting the face, hands with lotus and legs.
- You need to have an hour to visit the temple.
- Only Hindus are allowed inside.
2) Puthen Maliga Palace Museum:
This Museum is located nearby Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple. It is said that the Puthen maliga museum is 200 years old and was the palace of Maharaja of Travancore. The main attraction of this palace is wooden ceilings, beautiful sculptures of marble, etc. Its other name is Kuthira Malika which means the palace of horses. Here, the Structure of 122 horses is seen in the brackets of the walls. This is how Kuthira Malika name derived. You will find guides here to give you enough knowledge of the place.
Important Museum Tips-
- Entry is subject to payment of an entry fee. Foreign tourists to pay Rs 150, Domestic tourist Rs 50, Children Rs 15.
- Inside photography is restricted. A mobile phone needs to be switched off.
- Photo/video charges outside museum within the palace complex are – video – Rs 300, camera Rs 50 and Mobile Rs 20.
- Entry fee inclusive of guide charges.
- Opening at 09:00 hrs till 12:30 hrs and 14:00 hrs to 16:45 hrs. Monday Closed.
- Footwear will not be allowed inside the palace.
- The mobile photo needs to be switched off before entering the palace.
- Handbags, shoulder bags, etc will not be allowed and you need to keep in the clock room free of charge.
- There is an annual classical music festival is conducted every year from -6 Jan to 10 Jan which is being attended by the best musicians in India.
- The total time required to visit this complex and museum is approx an hour.
3) Sri Chithra Art Gallery:
Sri Chithra art gallery is the treasure of art and crafts. Here you will find beautiful paintings of well-known painters. You need to spend at least one or two hours to see this amazing place. This gallery was built in 1935 and it holds around 1100 paintings of well-known artists.
Art Gallery Tips-
- Visiting from 10:00 hrs till 17:00 hrs. Wednesday open from 13:00 hrs till 15:00 hrs.
- Last entry available at 16:25 hrs.
- Monday closed
4) Napier Museum:
Napier museum is one of the oldest museums in India. This museum is located in Trivandrum and one of the major attractions of Trivandrum. This museum shows the history of the regions and the rulers of the region. Here, you will find ancient idols, chariots, weapons, and coins. You can easily spend 2 to 3 hours here.
- The entry fee is Rs 20 for Indians and Rs 50 for foreigners.
- Photography not allowed.
- Open from 10:00 hrs till 16:45 hrs on all days. Monday closed. Wednesday entry from 13:00 hrs till 16:45 hrs.
- It takes approximately 1.5 hrs to see all the displayed items in detail.
- No guide service available.
- Better download Napier museum app, show this at each item and you will get details or extra information.
Apart from the above, there is much more sightseeing in Trivandrum available like Magic Planet, heritage walk to see the old traditional building and culture, but you need to have 2 full days in Trivandrum to cover other attractions.
Departure back to Kovalam and leisure at the beach resort.
Today is the last day of your trip. Drop at Trivandrum airport, or railway station/bus stand. Tour ends.
Important Travel Tips-
- In case you reach the early morning since the check-in hotel is at 12 pm, you need to wait in the lobby till the rooms are ready. In case rooms are available, you will get an early check-in but this is the exclusive decision of the hotels. Another option is to book a fresh up room which will cost extra.
- If you want to select this package and customize it according to your choice of hotels, it’s possible.
- We have mentioned different sightseeing options which include some of the famous temples. In case you are not interested in visiting a particular sightseeing point or temple, we can modify this itinerary to suit your requirements.
- Taxi is provided just two transfers and one full day sightseeing. In case you want to use this according to your choice, its possible with extra cost.
- Trivandrum airport is just 30 mins drive and Rly station 20 min by road. If you have evening or late evening flight or train, you can check out from the hotel, keep the luggage and then proceed to Trivandrum city.
- If you are NOT interested in a temple or religious tour, we can modify this itinerary to suit your requirements.
- In case your purpose of visiting is for religious or to visit most of the temples in and around Trivandrum, we advise you to stay in Trivandrum city rather than a Kovalam.
Shopping in Trivandrum:
Since Kerala basically is a consumer state, the best options for shopping are below.
- Banana Chips – if you want to buy freshly packed chips, you can buy this from a couple of chips shops located prior to reaching the airport.
- Souvenirs – many handmade artifacts about Kerala and its culture is available from most of the souvenirs shops. These shops are available at Trivandrum.
- Ladies’ traditional sarees are available from any clothing shops. It cost approx Rs 600 onwards per piece.
- Ayurvedic products – Oils, soaps, and many ayurvedic products are recommended.
Tips for Budget Traveler:
In case if you are not choosing this package due to unbearable cost, below are the guidelines to reduce the cost.
- Try to travel as two couples ie 4 adults / 2 rooms sharing the same sedan ac car. This will reduce the price.
- Local transfers and sightseeing by three-wheeler auto.
- Conducted sit in coach trips are available from KTDC. This is the cheapest option to reduce costs.
- Instead of staying in Kovalam, you can stay in Trivandrum to reduce the cost as Kovalam hotels are costlier during seasons.
- You can also reduce the cost by traveling from Trivandrum to Kovalam, and back by state transport buses, which are easily available. But you may not be able to see all these sightseeing as per our program.
- To reduce the cost, you can still join a group. But unfortunately, there are no conducted or group tours operates by tour operators in Kerala.
Cost for Given Package:
|Destination||Deluxe Option 1||Deluxe Option 2||Premium||Luxury||Luxury Option II|
|Kovalam 1 night||Howa beach resort Or Ocean Bay Ayurvedic beach resort||Hotel Neelakanda Or Sagara Beach Resort Or Soma Palm shore||Hotel Samudra||Hotel Udaya Samdra||The Leela Or Taj Green Cove|
|Cost for 2 adults / 1 room||Rs 7600||Rs 9000||Rs 9600||Rs 12000||Rs 21300|
|Cost for 4 adults / 2 rooms||Rs 10700||Rs 13900||Rs 15800||Rs 19900||Rs 37900|
|Child Charges Up to 10 yrs without bed||Rs 800||Rs 900||Rs 1100||Rs 1500||Rs 2200|
|Extra Adult Charges||Rs 1000||Rs 1200||Rs 1700||Rs 2000||Rs 4800|
Tour Cost Includes:
- A/c Accommodation on twin sharing basis with Daily Breakfast.
- AC sedan car for all the transfers as per the program given. First and last day just transfers and one full day sightseeing by private car.
- All-inclusive car with well experienced and bilingual driver till the departure
- All the expenses related to the vehicle (toll, tax, parking, permits, driver batta, etc)
- Hotel Check-in at 12pm and check out at 10 am.
- All the applicable taxes
Tour Cost Does Not Includes
- The packages do not include Air/Train tickets, Airport tax, Entry fees, Monuments, Guide fees, Camera Charges, Massages, Elephant Safaris, Personal expenses like laundry, tips and telephone calls, Optional Tours, Travel Insurance, etc.
- Optional activities mentioned in the itinerary & anything not mentioned in the above package.
- In case of payment made by credit card or debit card service charge of 2.5% and 1% will be charged extra.
- Poovar mangrove forest boating is not included.
- Strike in Kerala. Due to strikes called by political parties, safe driving of car and driver is difficult. In that case, alternative arrangements with the permission of guest will be made and expenses incurred due to the same is not included and will be charged additionally.
- The Hotels you selected according to your budget.
- We recommend you to check reviews and location of hotels in the Trip advisor to make sure it is as per your preference and on arrival in case you want to change the hotel, retention charges or additional charges for the new hotels needs to be paid.
- Taxi used to revisit the same place already visited will be charged extra.
- No portion of the tour will be refunded in case of any sightseeing place not visited due to any particular reason.