Pick up / Check in :
Kochi Airport/ Aluva Railway Station or Bus Stand/ Ernakulam Railway Station
Drop at / Check out :
Kochi Airport/ Aluva Railway Station or Bus Stand/ Ernakulam Railway Station
Brief Overview of 5 Nights 6 Days Kerala Package:
Main two attraction or important about this package is the price and number of visiting places included. Generally, we used to cover Munnar, Thekkady, Alleppey, and Kochi on the round trip. But in this package, we tried to cover Kumarakom, Mararikulam beach, and Athirapally sightseeing. Along with this an extension or visit to Guruvayur is also possible. Below are the detailed itinerary and other information about this 5 Nights 6 Days Kerala package.
Munnar is a beautiful hill station located in Kerala. It is one of the most visited tourist destinations of Kerala. It is located approximately 1700 meters above sea level. It is full of a pleasant atmosphere and a perfect place to spend your quality time. Munnar is mainly famous for its tea plantation and lush green mountain.
About Thekkady (Periyar):
Thekkady is well known for its flora and fauna. This hill station of Kerala is a good combination of nature, wildlife, and cool climate. Thekkady is mainly famous for the Periyar wildlife sanctuary and the various activities that are conducted in this sanctuary. This place is full off greenery and forests. As this place is located above 900 meters above the sea level it mostly remains cool.
About Alleppey Houseboat:
Kerala is well known for its houseboats and backwaters. Alleppey houseboats are most popular among all houseboats of Kerala. Staying in Alleppey houseboats would be the greatest experience of your life. Journey in Alleppey houseboats passes you through the canals, lagoons, villages on the bank of canals, paddy fields, etc. Trip in Alleppey backwaters pleases you with the beautiful environment.
Kumarakom is a small village near Kottayam located on the Vembanad lake. Kumarakom bird sanctuary in the main attraction of Kumarakom. This village is perfect for those who are looking for a village trip to Kerala. Apart from seeing Kumarakom bird sanctuary, you can do activities like visit driftwood museum, houseboat trip in Kumarakom backwaters.
About Fort Kochi:
Fort Kochi is a beautiful place in Kochi. It was used for trade in ancient times by Dutch and Portuguese. Fort Kochi is a popular place for historical monuments and beaches. Nowadays this place comes in one of the major tourist destinations of Kochi. It is recommended to have a short trip to the sightseeing places of Fort Kochi.
About Athirapally Waterfalls :
One of the big waterfalls in Kerala. This waterfall is a popular tourist spot in Kerala. You can visit here any time during the year because Athirapally waterfalls never dry. Know detail about Athirapally waterfall and more about the famous waterfalls of Kerala.
How to Reach:
1) Arrival and Departure by Flight –
Kochi (Cochin) International airport is the arrival destination for those who are coming by Flight.
2) Arrival and Departure by Train/Bus –
The best suitable railway station or Bus stand is Aluva as your first destination is Munnar. Proceeding to Munnar from Aluva is very easy than from Ernakulam Rly station. You can also come to Ernakulam Rly station (ERS or ERN). After Athirapally sightseeing, Chalakkudi is the nearest railway station, but since it increases the prices, Aluva railway station is suitable for departure also.
Arrival and Departure time-
We always recommend reaching before 9 am so that according to our sightseeing plan, this trip can be smooth. Your departure convenient for this package is any time after 5 pm.
4 Highlights of 5 Nights 6 Days Kerala Package:
- Well experienced behaved driver cum guide for the trip.
- One Kathakali and Kalaripayattu entry is included either at Munnar or Thekkedy.
- One plantation tour.
- One entry and boating in the Periyar wildlife sanctuary are included.
Day 1: Kochi to Munnar
Arrival at Kochi, our representative will meet, receive, and transfer to Munnar. It takes approximately 3.5 hrs to cover 148 kms. On the way to Munnar, you can have your lunch at Onnukal, where veg and non-veg restaurants. These restaurants provide additional services like free restrooms. On the way, you can see below waterfalls. You can spend some time there and then proceed to Munnar.
This is located on the Kochi – Munnar highway on the left side of the road. This is a good place to have photos, but no bathing is allowed as rocks used to slippery. There is no entry fee or parking fee that needs to be given. There are couples of small shops selling local food items. 15-20 mins halt is recommended.
After Cheeyappara you can see another waterfall on the right side. You cannot see this nearby. We do not recommend even a photo stop as this is not so important waterfalls.
After the sightseeing, you can proceed directly to your hotel. If you do not want to go direct to Munnar hotel and need some sightseeing or activities, we recommend Dreamland Fun Park. Since its a little bit far off, we suggest you go this fist and then to Hotel for check-in. You can also see Kerala martial art (Kalaripayattu) and art form (Kathakali) today evening since there is enough time.
1) Dreamland Fun & Adventure Park of Munnar:
This is located 16 km away from Munnar a place called Anachal. This park is suitable for all the tourists especially honeymoon couples and family and kids. They have may activities for kids and adults separately. Kids will surely enjoy Trampoline and trampoline bungee jump and pedal boating. There are many activities for adults are available like horse riding, camel ride, hunting game, free fall, Burma bridge, hanging bridge, commando net, and many more. All these are with complete security in international standards. Entry fee starting from Rs 1000 and you can also choose different packages which cost you more. It takes a minimum of 2 hrs to complete the activities.
Dreamland visiting tips-
- Check their web site and see the activities. In case you are not interested, intimate the same in advance to the driver. This will save you time money.
- Ensure you should have good shoes in case you are going for any activities.
- Better to avoid during monsoon from Jun to mid of Aug.
- Restaurant available inside the dreamland.
- In case your arrival is midday or afternoon, you need to skip visiting this place as there is no time left.
2) Know About Kathakali and Kalaripayattu:
Kathakali is a famous art form and Kalaripayattu is a martial art of Kerala In most of the tourist destinations in Kerala, this kind of stage performance in an auditorium is conducted.
Image Showing Kathakali Artform
There are two performance centers in Munnar. Punarjani which is located a little bit outside is the best one. Both these performances are of an hour each which started at 17:00 hrs and ending at 19:00 hrs. The entry fee is Rs 300 per person for each show.
Image Showing Kalaripayattu Martial Art
Note: Check-in Hotel and overnight in a stay at Munnar.
Day 2: Munnar
Tourist Places for Munnar Trip:
Today we have planned a full day sightseeing of Munnar. Since there is just one day for the whole sightseeing, we suggest you keep the timing. B/F at the hotel and start the latest by 09:00 hrs. First half day we plan to cover all the sightseeing from Munnar town to Top station which includes Rose garden, Mattupetty Dam, Echo point, Kundala Lake, and Top Station. But we will be doing this on the reverse order as visiting Top Station or Kundala Dam is best during early or morning hrs. It takes approximately 50 mins to reach the top station from Munnar town.
1) Top Station – One of the Best Tourist Destinations of Munnar
Located at 6410 ft MSL, Top Station is the second-highest elevated place in the whole Munnar. It takes approximately 45 mins to cover 18 km from Munnar town. The interesting story of Top Station is that the British built a railway line running from Chaya Bazar (near present Munnar town) to Drop Station (present Top Station). The train used to carry the tea leaves collected in the whole Munnar to Drop Station and from there by a cable car to down below the processing center. You can see the remains of this cable car at Top Station even now. Visiting top station, you will get the best experience with regard to the view of mountains towards Kulukkumali, fog, mist, and chilled climate Interestingly, the top station is not in Kerala but located in Tamil Nadu. We need to cross 1 km into Tamil Nadu state to reach this place.
Travel Tips to Visit Top Station-
- It opens at 06:00 hrs and closes at 17:00 hrs.
- An entry fee of Rs 25 for adults, Children Rs 15 and Rs 10 for foreigners will be charged.
- Those who have knee problems, heart diseases, breathing problems, and kids below 6 yrs should avoid this place as it involves too much walking by steps.
- We should have good shoes.
- The best time to visit is early morning or before 10 am.
- Should be avoided during monsoon ie from Jun to mid of Aug.
- If you are planning to visit Kolukkumali, Top station visits can be avoided.
- Handicapped persons, pregnant ladies, and wheel chairpersons cannot access this place.
2) Kundala Dam – Beautiful Dam in Munnar:
Kundala Dam was constructed for Pallivasal Hydro Electric Project in 1946 and considered to be Asia’s No 1 arch dam. This place is located between Top Station and Munnar town, therefore, it is easy for visiting. Considered as one of the best scenic spots for photography, you can also have activities like a pedal boat, speed boat, or shikara kind of trip available in the lake.
Travel Tips to Visit Kundala Dam-
- Irrespective of any restrictions, tourists from all walks of life can access this place.
- Entry to this place is free. In case you want to have some activities like boating in lake, horse riding, etc, all these are available here which is chargeable.
- If you are doing any boating activity in any other lake in Munnar, this can be avoided.
- It takes hardly 15-20 mins here to experience, in case you do not need any other activities.
3) Echo Point: Place for Photography in Munnar:
This is nothing much important about this place. If you make a loud noise, your voice will return to you as you have a big hill just opposite of you after the lake. But more than that, this is one of the best places to have a photo of the lake close by. Entry to this place is restricted with an entry fee of Rs 20 per person.
4) Visit of Tea Plantations:
On the way to Top station or while coming back to the city, you can see very scenic tea plantations. In case you want to visit, see or want to have photos, you can do this. There is no entry fee or charges need to pay. You should know that the whole Munnar is tea plantations and you can get good photos not necessarily from one particular place, but anywhere in Munnar.
5) Mattupetty Dam -One of the best Dam of Kerala
Mattupetty dam is located 13 km away from Munnar city towards Top station and it takes 20 mins to drive by road. Mattupetty can be narrated like a confluence of mountain, lake, and greenery. You will get the best photos and some breathtaking moments of your holiday. Unlike Kundala, Madupetty made elaborate arrangements for tourist comfort. It has a washroom, tourist facilitation center where coffee shop, snack bar, cowboy park, children park with swing, speed boat in the lake, etc available. The best experience of Madupetty is first to go to the boating center or tourist facilitation center, if interested do the boating and come to the dam and take some of the best photos.
Travel Tips to Visit Mattupetty Dam-
- Try to walk from Kundala to Mattupetty dam and you can see tallest blue gum trees, in case you have time.
- You can skip in case you are coming from a place where there are lots of lakes and mountains.
- This place is accessible for all irrespective of handicapped or wheelchaired.
- Very good place for family with kids outing.
- This place is best for a small shopping for handicrafts and souvenirs.
- There are no restaurants available but hot noodles and local snacks are available. During holidays, weekends, and tourist season, this place is jam-packed. You may need to wait up to an hr to get boating tickets or Parking car.
- Take beautiful photos of the Mattupetty dam. After the boating travel to the dam, come out of the car from one end of the dam and walk to other ends. You can take good photos from the middle as vehicles are not allowed to park on the dam.
6) Rose Garden of Munnar:
This is a kind of botanical garden maintained by the KTDC Floriculture Centre. Not only Roses but different varieties of flowers are available and a good place to have memorable photos. This garden is located 5kms away on the top station roadside and entry is restricted with an entry fee of Rs 50 per person.
Travel Tips to Visit Rose Garden-
- Since there are steps, handicapped or wheelchaired persons advised not to visit this place.
- A washroom facility is available for the public.
- You can buy favorite plants from the rose garden.
We expect this is over by 13:00 hrs and an hour lunch break is available. There are many vegs or non-veg restaurants available in Munnar city. Post lunch we are organizing a trip to Rajamali in Eravikulam National Park.
7) Eravikulam National Park: Must Visit Tourist Destination of Munnar
Eravikulam national park having an area of 97 sq km is the first national park in Kerala. The Park protects endemic and endangered Nilgiri Tahr, a rare species of mountain goat, and its habitat. The park has the largest stretch of undisturbed shoal-grassland ecosystems in the western ghats. Anamudi which is 2695 meters in height is the highest peak south of Himalayas is located within this park. Before becoming a National Park, the area is the hunting reserve of the colonial tea planters. It takes approximately 30 mins drive to the entry point. On reaching the entry point, you need to show the online booking details or you can buy the tickets from this counter itself. From the ticket counter till the entry gate of Eravikulam, it’s almost 20 mins in a minibus which is being provided by the park. On reaching the entry points, you need to walk steep pathways for almost 40 mins to see the Nilgiri Thar and Anamudi Peak. This is also a good place to have good mountain photographs.
Travel Tips to Visit Eravikulam National Park-
- Book your tickets online.
- Entry ticket is Rs 125 for domestic tourists and Rs 400 for foreigners.
- Best time to visit in the early morning or afternoon.
- No food or water bottles allowed.
- The washroom is available for both gents and ladies.
- Not accessible by wheelchair.
- Cafeteria and snack bar available at the waiting place.
- To see the Nilgiri Thar and Anamudi peak, you need to hike approximately 40 mins. Those who have breathing problems should avoid this.
- Carry raincoat in rainy seasons. Umbrella is a must for all seasons.
- This park is closed during Feb and Mar for breeding and calving every year.
By the time you visit this park, it may be afternoon. You can come to Munnar town for small shopping. Departure for your hotel and check-in. Overnight stay in a resort
Travel Tips to Visit Munnar:
- On the way from Kochi to Munnar, we have included Valera and Cheeyappara waterfalls. Since these falls depend on raining water, these falls may be dry during summertime or if there is no rain.
- Dreamland – visit only if you are interested. If you already had been too good amusement parks, you can skip this.
- In case you are skipping Dreamland, you can go to Munnar city for a visit.
- We recommend you to visit the art center on Day 1 as you may not get time for the second day.
- During the tourist season, weekend and holidays, there will be a huge rush due to local guests. Sometimes this leads to a terrific traffic block and may trap for a couple of hrs. Therefore, ensure that you keep the timing mentioned in this program.
- The above program is not possible in case your hotel is too far off of Munnar like Adimali, Chinnakanal, Eeticity, Anachal, Kunjithanni, But SreesTours select and provide hotels which are located within Munnar only. Please go here to know where to stay in Munnar.
- If your trip is during Feb or Mar when the Eravikulam park is closed, you can visit a tea factory, Lockhart gap viewpoint, etc.
- All these programs may disrupt in case there is heavy rain. Visiting Top station or Eravikulam, during heavy monsoon is not possible.
- Apart from Hotels, there is a variety of other stay options available like Tree House, private pool villa, jacuzzi, and bathtub rooms, honeymoon cottage, resorts with a view to the tea plantation, tent, and camp stay.
- Apart from the standard sightseeing program mentioned above, you can also experience attractions or activities in Munnar. We recommend staying more days to experience all these.
- Sunrise at Top station.
- Off-road Jeep safari.
- Guided soft hiking of 2 hrs or hard hiking of 4 hrs and visit beautiful mountains, grasslands, and tea plantation.
- Guided hiking and camping in Swiss tents
This is the best place to buy Tea and coffee at a reasonable price.
Day 3 : Munnar to Thekkady (Periyar)
Today your trip is to Thekkedy (Periyar). Thekkedy has located approximately 135 km and it may take a minimum of 3.5 hrs to reach. You can go to Thekkedy by choosing two different directions. We recommend you to start at 08:30 hrs so that you can reach Thekkedy comfortably and book a boat safari.
Routes for reach Munnar to Thekkady :
- Munnar city – Chinnakanal – Thekkady :
This route is one of the best routes as you can see below sightseeing options on the way.
- Lockhart gap viewpoint – one of the best viewpoints after Top Station.
- Periyakanal waterfalls – this is available during Jun, Jul, Aug, and Sep.
- Anayirangal Dam – 1.5 km from the main road, this is one of the best scenic spots in Munnar. Sometimes you can see wild elephants also there.
- Lockhart tea plantations – around 30 mins drive through these tea plantations – one of the best experiences and best places for photography.
2. The other route to Thekkady is via Kunjithanni, Rajakkad, Udumbanchola. You can save approx 20 km and 30 mins.
Note: Guest whose hotels located in Anachal, Kunjithanni, Chithirapuram, etc cannot go this route as one needs to first go to Munnar city which is 17 km more and it takes another 40 mins.
On arrival at Thekkedy, you can go for a plantation visit.
1) About Spice Plantation Tour:
Many private owners cultivate ayurvedic medicinal plants in their courtyard either for selling these to companies or for passion. Most of them have either three or max ten varieties of plants with them. When the tourism, as well as Ayurveda, was growing, some of these planters start growing more varieties of plants and then this courtyard or cultivation area has been converted to a spice plantation tour and start allowing the tourist to know about the different variety of medicinal as well as other plants available in India. Entry is restricted with entry fee and on entry, you will be provided with a personal guide to explain to you about each plant and its medicinal value. At the end of the spice walk, the guide will take you to a small hall where they explain about the medicine available for different ailments.
Travel Tips to Visit Spice Plantation Tour-
- Since all these spice plantations own and operated by private parties, you need to pay an entry fee of minimum Rs 200 each.
- Open at 7 am, you can visit any time. Approximate time for this tour is minimum an hr and a maximum of 1.5 hrs.
- The main aim of these spice walk or plantation visits is to sell ayurvedic medicins. Therefore, your guide may be insisting on buying these ayurvedic products. It’s well-advised that better you consult a doctor before buying the medicines from spice plantation.
Check-in hotel and lunch at any of the restaurants. We have planned your boat trip today at 15:30 hrs. Relax till now and report at entry point by 15:30 hrs.
2) Visit Periyar National Park & Enjoy Boating in Wildlife Sanctuary:
Periyar national park is famous for elephants and tigers. The sanctuary surrounds Periyar Lake which was formed when the Mullaperiyar Dam was constructed. One should note that like other wildlife sanctuaries in India – Ranthambore, Gir, etc, you cannot go inside the forest in a jeep or any other transport to see wildlife animals. Since Periyar National Park is surrounded by Periyar Lake, the forest department conducts boat safari in this Periyar Lake to see wildlife animals. The boat trip starts at 07:30 hrs which is for 2 hrs and all other trips are for 1.5 hrs only. There are 4 boats available for a trip to the lake. One needs to book an online ticket for the safari. The interesting thing to note that till now except elephant, birds and wild gaur, etc, none of the visitors have seen a tiger. Therefore, if you are coming to Periyar national park to see tigers, sorry to inform you that this is hardly possible.
You need to book a boat safari ticket online in advance. Otherwise during peak time, getting a ticket is difficult. Since you are staying just one night, we recommend booking a ticket on a 15:30 hrs trip. The boat trip starts at 16:00 hrs and ends at 17:00 hrs.
Apart from the boat safari in the Periyar Lake, the forest department conducts many activities like an overnight stay in the forest with armed guards, night trekking, bamboo rafting, etc. If you are interested in these activities, it’s always recommended to stay a minimum of two nights in Thekkedy. Apart from the above, you can also go for elephant safari, Jeep safari and plantation tour, etc. If interested, these can be experienced the next day also. Overnight stay in the resort.
Travel Tips to Visit Thekkady-
- It’s always recommended to book your stay very close to the wildlife sanctuary. Srees Tours provide a very comfortable close by hotel for our all guests.
- As per this program, the best suitable boating is at 15:30 hrs as you need to travel at 09:00 hrs to Houseboat. But the best boating is at 07:00 hrs which ends at 09:30 hrs. So if you choose the morning boating, you will be reaching houseboat by 14:00 hrs ie late for 2 hrs. Though it’s a private boat that will wait for you, some of the backwater sightseeing may not be able to cover.
- If you are interested in hiking or trekking, staying in the forest with armed guards, bamboo rafting, etc, there are many such programs organized by the Forest Department for which you may need to stay one or two more days in this destination.
- Thekkedy market is very close to where you are staying. This is the best and cheapest shopping place for all types of spices, Kerala traditional saree for ladies, etc.
Day 4 : Thekkedy to Kumarakom to Mararikulam Beach to Alleppey
Today you are visiting the best two destinations in the program:
Kumarakom and Mararikulam Beach:
Image Showing Marari Beach
The best time for departure is at 08:30 hrs as we have planned a 2 hr boating in Kumarakom, thereafter visiting Mararikulam beach. Departure for Kumarakom and it takes 3.5 hrs drive. On arrival at Kumarakom sightseeing is planned as below.
Sightseeing Places of Kumarakom:
1) Kumarakom Bird sanctuary:
This is located on the lakeside and the entry is from the main road. It takes approximately an hour to see this forest and after walking 1000 meters, you can see an erected watchtower from where you can see the birds. The season for migratory birds is from Feb onwards for 4 months. Walking inside the sanctuary is a good experience.
2) Bay Island Driftwood Museum:
Being run by a private family, these driftwoods displayed in the museum brought from the Andaman Islands. The visiting time is from 10 am to 4 pm.
3) 2 hrs Shikara trip to experience Kumarakom:
During the shikkara trip, you can experience the beauty of the famous Vembanad lake, see Kumarakom bird sanctuary from the lake, Kumarakom backwaters, and village life and the famous Pathiramanal island.
Your sightseeing and shikara need to be ended by 16: 00 hrs or maximum by 16:30 hrs. At 16:30 hrs departure for Mararikulam beach and it takes 30 mins to drive to the beach. You can enjoy the beach if you are a good swimmer you can swim, enjoy the sunset and proceed to your hotel at Alleppey. It takes 25 mins drive to reach your hotel at Alleppey. Overnight stay in Alleppey.
Day 5: Alleppey to Kochi
We have planned to see Alleppey backwaters by shikkara boat and half-day sightseeing. The best time to start the trip is at 09:00 hrs.
3 hrs Shikara Trip – Experience Alleppey Backwaters by Private Shikara.
Your boarding is at Alleppey jetty at 09:30 hrs. During the three hrs shikara trip, you will be visiting below the best small and big canals in Alleppey backwaters.
1) Punnamada Lake:
This is the lake where the annual snake boat regatta is being conducted every year.
2) SNDP Canal:
You can see local villages, temples, etc while making a trip through this canal.
3) Panakkal Thod and Muttethod:
A very narrow canal where you can see the local villages, paddy fields, etc.
4) Meenappally Kayal:
a small lake in the middle of the beautiful Kainakari village. A good place for photography.
5) Irumbanam Thod:
Another narrow canal where you can see lots of local villages, paddy fields, etc.
This is an icon of old age time. This is the place where Maharaja of wresting while of Travancore kingdom established a Vilakkumaram (this is a word in Malayalam and the meaning is – “light on the tree” which gives direction for the boat which carries material in the night).
Kochi Sightseeing Places:
1) Fort Kochi:
Fort Kochi is a seaside area of Kochi City. In ancient times this town was developed by Portuguese, Dutch, and British people.
2) Jewish Synagogue (Paradesi Synagogue):
This oldest Jewish Synagogue of the commonwealth was constructed in 1568. It is well known for its mid -18th century, hand-painted,willow-patterned floor tiles from Canton in China, a clock tower, Hebrew inscriptions on stone slabs, old scrolls of the Old Testament, etc. This Synagogue is the oldest synagogue in India.
3) Dutch Palace (Mattancherry Palace):
Dutch Palace was built in 1557 by Portuguese and they presented to Raja of Kochi, This place is one of the best examples of Kerala architecture style. This palace was renovated by Dutch people in 1663.
4) Vasco da Gama Square / Chinese fishing nets:
This place is one of the top tourist attractions of Kochi City. The huge cantilevered fishing nets are the legacy of one of the first visitors to the Malabar Coast. Erected here between 1350 – 1450 AD by traders from the court of Kabul Khan. The best place to watch the nets being lowered into the sea and the catch being brought in is the Vasco da Gama Square. Here you can see that fisherman fishing though Chinese Fishing nets
5) Kodar House:
Kodar House is the perfect example of indo-European architecture. This house was constructed by Cochin Electric Company.
6) Chinese Fishing nets:
This shows the Chinese presence in Fort Kochi dates back.
Other attractions are Bolgaty palace, Pierce Leslie Bungalow, Santa Cruz Basilica, etc are located in the same area.
After Fort Kochi sightseeing, you can go straightway to Kochi airport, which is approximately 45 mins drive in normal traffic. It may take upto 1.5 hrs during heavy traffic time.
Your shikkara trip ends at 12:00 hrs, fresh up hotel, checkout and proceed to Kochi. We have planned half-day Fort Kochi.
Travel Tips to Know for Visit Kochi Tourist Places:
- All the tourist entry points except Fort Kochi Beach will be closed down at 5 pm.
- Jewish synagogue will be closed on Fridays. But they now start opening after 2 pm on Fridays.
- Dutch Palace is closed on Friday and Saturdays.
- In case your flight is at 15:00 hrs or before, this sightseeing is not possible.
Shopping at Kochi and visit Lulu mall. Departure for Cherai beach at 16:00 hrs. It takes approximately 30 mins to reach the beach. Check-in Hotel and leisure at the resort.
Day 6. Kochi to Athirapally
Today is your last day and we have planned a full day trip to Athirapally. It takes a minimum 1.5hrs by road to reach Athirappally but it may take more depending upon the traffic between Kochi and Aluva. We recommend starting by 08:30 hrs so that Athirapally waterfalls and nearby attractions can be covered within the time specified. Detailed sightseeing at Athirapally is below.
1) Thumboormuzhi Dam and Garden:
Thumboormuzhi dam and garden are part of the Ezattumugham Prakrithi Gramam project. The project includes a hanging bridge, which is the main attraction, a butterfly garden, kids play area, a watchtower to see the river, etc are the main attraction of this place. Hanging bridge is the main attraction as when you walk on this bridge, you can see Chalakudi river flows under your feet, view from the middle of the river, and one of the best places for photography. The butterfly park is another attraction. This place is located before Athirapally waterfalls from Kochi to the Athirapally route. This is one of the best places for photography and family outing.
Thumboormuzhi Travel Tips-
- Entry fee of Rs 40 per adult and Children Rs 10.
- Parking available inside the park.
- Visit this before or after the Athirapally visit. Park and butterfly garden close at 16:30 hrs.
2) Athirapally Waterfalls:
Athirapally waterfalls – commonly called as Nayagra of Kerala is one of the beautiful places where you can see the biggest waterfall called Athirapally waterfalls. There are two more waterfalls called Chapra and Vazachal is also close by. Go here for more details.
Athirapally waterfalls Important Travel Tips:
- Open at 08:00 hrs and entry close at 16:30 hrs. The entry fee is Rs 40 per adult, Rs 10 for Children, and 150 for foreigners.
- Best time and season to visit. The best season to visit is after monsoon ie from Aug to Feb and the best time to visit is till 11 am or after 15:00 hrs.
- You can see the waterfall from two different places. One is from the top and the other is bottom.
- Since the pathway to the bottom is too steep, climbing back for persons with heart disease, breathing problems and handicapped may face difficulty.
- Bathing in the river is possible in selected places. So keep your changing clothes with you before entering.
- Plastic bottles or water bottles are allowed to carry subject to a security deposit. You will lose the security deposit in case these are not taken back.
- Eateries are not allowed inside the forest.
- The wheelchair is accessible at the top of the falls.
- The total time to visit the top of the falls is a minimum of 1 hrs and the bottom is 1.5 hrs. In case you visit Athirapally falls along with Charpa and Vazachal, you may need a half day.
- Close to entrance, restaurants, and coffee shops are available.
3) Charpa Waterfalls:
Charpa waterfall is located 3 kms further Athirapally waterfalls on the way to Sholayar Dam. This is relatively a small fall, but best to see during monsoon. This is located left side of the road and there is no entry ticket required.
4) Vazachal Water Falls:
This fall is located 5 kms further to Athirapally waterfalls. This is a different kind of waterfall. The attraction is water is flowing by cascading in several steps. You can go very close to the fall until the fencing and watch closely the milky water. This is one of the best places to relaxing and enjoy as there are a park and coffee shop that is also available. The entry ticket purchased at Athirapally waterfall is valid here also, therefore, we should keep this with you.
After sightseeing, departure for Kochi airport. It takes one hr drive from Athirapally to Airport or Aluva Railway station. Drop at departure place and tour ends.
Travel Tips You Need to Consider for this Package :
- If you want to select this package and customize it according to your choice of hotels, it’s possible.
- We have mentioned different sightseeing options. In case you are not interested in visiting any particular sightseeing point, we can modify this itinerary to suit your requirement.
- In case you want to add any other sightseeing or a religious temple tour, we can do the same for you. Please contact us.
- In case if you have any other mode of arrival, we are open to provide the service.
- If your arrival is in the afternoon or evening, either you can start the trip from Cherai Beach or advisable to stay at Kochi and start your trip the next day morning.
- In case you reach early morning before 6 am, proceeding immediately to Munnar is not possible. It’s advisable to have a Non-ac fresh up room for an hr or two for which a minimum of Rs 500 will be charged extra.
- Minimum 2 nights stay at Munnar required to have a relaxing trip and to see most of the good places. If you are staying only 1 night, then you just get a half-day to enjoy the place.
- This program is inclusive of the shikara trip at Alleppey. You can also choose a half-day houseboat day tour with lunch in Alleppey with extra cost.
- You can also start this package on a reverse order without any increase in prices.
- This is a private trip for the booking guest and not shared with any other guest. Some of the common sightseeing is on sharing basis like boating in Periyar wildlife, Rajamali national park, etc.
- Instead of Kochi, you can stay in Athirappally. This will be suitable for those who need to depart by early afternoon or before 3 pm.
Things You Can Shop in Kerala:
Since Kerala basically is a consumer state, the best options for shopping are below.
- Banana Chips – if you want to buy freshly packed chips, you can buy this from a couple of chips shops located prior to reaching the airport.
- Souvenirs – many handmade artifacts about Kerala and its culture is available from most of the souvenirs shops located at Munnar, Thekkedy, and Trivandrum.
- Coffee & tea – The best available place is shopping at Munnar.
- Spices – All types of spices are cheaper in Thekkedy shops rather than Munnar.
- Ladies’ traditional sarees are available from any clothing shops. It cost approx Rs 600 onwards per piece.
- Ayurvedic products – Oils, soaps, and many ayurvedic products are recommended.
Want to Reduce the Package Cost? Below are the Tips:
- Travel as a group. Try to travel as a group like two couples or three couples; this will reduce the price considerably.
- Reduce the taxi costs. As per the above program, your approximate taxi charges will be 11800. You can reduce this by using travel by local bus. But all the sightseeing and plan given above is possible only with a private taxi.
- Use similar hotels. If you choose a similar hotel outside of the main center, it will reduce the price. These are the hotels mainly located in Eitti city, Anachal, Chithirapuram, Kunjithanni, etc.
- Travel by local bus. Normally this is being used by foreign backpackers and budget guests. On arrival, Aluva to Munnar by local bus, in Munnar sightseeing by three-wheeler auto, Munnar to Thekkedy by local bus, Thekkedy to Alleppey by local bus and by train from Kottayam to Aluva railway station as Kochi airport is very close to Aluva Rly station.
- To reduce the cost, you can still join a group. But unfortunately, there are no conducted tours or group tours operates by tour operators in Kerala.
Cost for Given Package:
|Destination||Deluxe Option I||Deluxe Option II||Premium||Luxury|
|Munnar 2 night||Bell Mount Or Glenmore resort||Hotel C 7 Or Misty Mountain resort||Aranyaka Resort OR Lake View||Tall Trees OR Tea county|
|Thekkedy 1 night||Sandra Palace Or Wood side residency||Hostess Or Jungle Park||TreeTop Or At Woods Or Spice Lap||Mountain Court Yard|
|Alleppey 1 night||Pagoda resort||Arcadia Regency||Oxygen Resort Or Palmgrove lake resort||Lake canopy OR Udaya Suits|
|Kochi 1 night||North Centre Or Diwans Court||Dunes Continental||Corel Isle||Le Meridian Or Radission Blue|
|Cost for 2 adults / 1 room with sedan AC Car||Rs 31900||Rs 34800||Rs 41800||Rs 65600|
|Cost for 4 adults / 2 rooms with AC Tavera or Maruti ertica mini suv.||Rs 52700||Rs 55900||Rs 63700||Rs 92500|
|Child Charges Between 6-10 yrs without bed||Rs 2300||Rs 2300||Rs 3500||Rs 6000|
|Extra Adult Charges||Rs 4850||Rs 4850||Rs 5300||Rs 8900|
- The above costs are valid from 01 Oct to 15 Dec and 15 Jan to 31 Mar.
- Cost not valid from 16 Dec to 14 Jan – contact us for revised price-CONTACT US
- Validity from 01 Apr till 31 Sep. This is an offseason and good discount available-CONTACT US
Tour Cost Includes:
- A/c Accommodation except for Hill Station (Munnar & Thekkady) on twin sharing basis with Daily Breakfast.
- Private houseboat with lunch, dinner, and B/F included.
- AC car for all the transfers and local sightseeing as per the given itinerary.
- Well experienced and bilingual driver till the departure.
- All the expenses related to the vehicle (toll, tax, parking, permits, driver batta, etc)
- Hotel Check-in at 12 pm and check out at 10 am.
- The driver is available from Morning 7 am to evening 6 or 7 pm.
- Entry and boating in Periyar wildlife sanctuary and one plantation tour at Thekkedy.
- Entry for Kathakali and Kalaripayattu at Munnar or Thekkedy.
- 3 hr private shikkara trip at Alleppey.
- 2 hrs private shikkara trip at Kumarakom.
- All the applicable taxes.
Tour Cost Does Not Includes:
- The packages do not include Air/Train tickets, Airport tax, Entry fees, Monuments, Guide fees, Camera Charges, Massages, Elephant Safaris, Personal expenses like laundry, tips, and telephone calls, Optional Tours, Travel Insurance, etc.
- Optional activities mentioned in the itinerary & anything not mentioned in the above package.
- Taxi cost inclusive of pick up from Kochi airport and Drop at Trivandrum airport. In case of back to Kochi airport, Extra Rs 1000 will be charged.
- In case of payment made by credit card or debit card service charge of 2.5% and 1% will be charged extra.
- Strike in Kerala. Due to strikes called by political parties, safe driving of car and driver is difficult. In that case, alternative arrangements with the permission of guest will be made and expenses incurred due to the same is not included and will be charged additionally.
- The Hotels you selected according to your budget.
- We recommend you to check reviews and location of hotels in the Trip advisor to make sure it is as per your preference and on arrival in case you want to change the hotel, retention charges or additional charges for the new hotels needs to be paid.
- Taxi used to revisit the same place already visited will be charged extra.
- No portion of the tour will be refunded in case of any sightseeing place not visited due to any particular reason.