Overview of One Day Athirapally Sightseeing Tour:
Athirapally is one of the popular tourist destinations of Kerala. It is a perfect place for nature lovers. Athirapally attracts number of tourists because of its lush green forests and beautiful streams. Athirapally falls is one of the major attractions of Athirapally. Athirapally waterfalls – termed as Niagara of Kerala, a day tour program from Kochi to experience this famous tourist destination.
More than a waterfall, Athirapally is also famous for its fauna and flora. Being located inside the forest, you can also see lots of different varieties of birds especially Indian Hornbill. Please see more details about Athirapilly waterfalls.
Pick up and drop place and Time:
Our pick up and drop is available in the following destinations. The drop will be the same place from where the pickup is arranged.
- Kochi Airport or any hotel near to the airport at 08:30 hours.
- Any hotel located in Kochi city, Ernakulam, or Fort Kochi at 08:00 hours.
Day 1 : Kochi to Athirapally
Pick up from your place of stay at Kochi by our driver cum guide, proceed to Athirapally. It takes 1.5 hours drive from Ernakulam and a 1-hour drive from Kochi airport. Below is the best sightseeing options planned for this trip.
1) Thumboormuzhi Hanging Bridge, Dam & Garden:
- This place is the part of the Ezattumugham Prakrithi Gramam project.
- This project includes a hanging bridge, which is the main attraction, a butterfly garden, kids play area, a watchtower to see the river, etc. These are the main attractions of this place.
- when you walk on the hanging bridge, you can see Chalakudi river flows under your feet, view from the middle of the river. A place is a perfect place for photography.
- The butterfly park is another major attraction where you find around 140 species of butterflies.
- This place is located before Athirapally waterfalls from Kochi to the Athirapally route. This is one of the best places for photography and family outing.
Thumboormuzhi Travel Tips:
- Entry fee of Rs 40 per adult and Children Rs 10.
- Parking available inside the park.
- Visit this before or after the Athirapally visit. Park and butterfly garden close at 16:30 hours.
2) Athirapally Waterfalls:
- You are going to experience the biggest waterfall in Kerala which is having 84 ft in height.
Athirapally Waterfall’s Travel Tips:
- Open at 08:00 hours and entry close at 16:30 hours. The entry fee is Rs 40 per adult, Rs 10 for Children, and 150 for foreigners.
- Best time and season to visit. The best season to visit is after monsoon ie from Aug to Feb and the best time to visit is till 11 am or after 15:00 hours.
- You can see and experience the waterfall from two different places. One is from the top and the other is bottom.
- Since the pathway to the bottom is too steep, climbing back for persons with heart disease, breathing problems and handicapped may face difficulty.
- Bathing in the river is possible in selected places. So keep your changing clothes with you before entering.
- Plastic bottles or water bottles are allowed to carry subject to a security deposit. You will lose the security deposit in case these are not taken back.
- Eateries are not allowed inside the forest.
- A wheelchair is accessible at the top of the falls. Wheelchair rental not available.
- The total time to visit the top of the falls is a minimum of 1 hour and the bottom is 1.5 hours. In case you visit Athirapally falls along with Charpa and Vazachal, you may need a half day.
- Close to entrance, restaurants, and coffee shops are available.
3) Charpa Waterfalls:
About Charpa falls:
- Located 3 km further Athirapally waterfalls on the way to Sholayar Dam.
- It is a small fall, but best to see in monsoon season.
- It is located left side of the road and there is no entry ticket required.
4) Vazhachal Falls:
About Vazhachal falls:
- Located 5 km further to Athirapally waterfalls.
- The attraction is water is flowing by cascading in several steps. Thus, It is a different kind of fall.
- You can go very close to the fall until the fencing and watch closely the milky water.
- This is one of the best places to relax and enjoy as there is a park and coffee shop is also available.
- The entry ticket purchased at Athirapally waterfall is valid here also, therefore, we should keep this with you.
After sightseeing is completed, we will start moving back to Kochi and drop at the same pick-up point. Tour ends.
Multiple Sightseeing Options:
This is a standard one day program designed for a trip from Kochi to Athirapally. Below are the other interesting sightseeing options available which have not been included in this trip. You can look at below and choose, we can customize the trip according to your choice.
1) Silver Storm Water theme park and Dream Word:
- Both these water parks are located in Athirapally. In case you want to club together with Athirapally visit, you need to start a little early.
2) Athirapally Wildlife and Lower Sholayar Dam:
Image showing lower sholayar dam
- The road goes from Athirapally to Valparai via Sholayar and Malakkapara. Till Malakkapara, the road goes via the thick forest and you have a chance of seeing wild elephants, lower sholayar dam, etc. This is a different package and contact us for any further details.
3) Guruvayur Temple:
- You can include the Guruvayur temple on this trip.
4) Cherai Beach:
- If you start a little early, you can visit Athirapally and Cherai beach also. Please see such a package includes Cherai beach and Athirapally.
Important Travel Tips:
- You can opt to start early and come back to Kochi as early as possible.
- Your pick up and drop will be at the same place. In case you change this subject to an extra taxi cost.
- In case of any delay in starting, the extension of drop time is not possible.
- It’s just a transfer back from Athirapally to Kochi drop place. In case you use this taxi for having shopping, dinner, or any other purpose, it will cost extra.
- During the tourist season, weekend and holidays, there will be a huge rush due to local guests. Sometimes this leads to a terrific traffic block1km away from the entrance. You need to cooperate with the driver for smooth handling the situation.
- Due to the low water level in the river as well as falls, we do not recommend this package from end Feb to the end of May. But these all depend upon rain. In case we have good raining during Feb and Mar, this place is idle for a visit.
- All these programs may disrupt in case there is a flood due to heavy rain. Athirapally was closed for a couple of weeks during 2018 floods in Kerala.
- In case you like to have a bath in the river, ensure you carry changing cloths.
- Restaurants, coffee/tea stalls, etc are all available in front of the entrance.
- Local shops called “Vanashree” selling forest products are also available. You can buy good honey from this shop.
Cost for Given Package:
|Particular||Pick up from Ernakulam or Fort Kochi and back||Pick up from Airport hotel and back to airport hotel|
|Cost for 2 adults With AC Sedan||Rs 1500 per person||Rs1300|
|Cost for 4 adults With Innova AC Car||Rs 1200 per person||Rs 950|
|Extra adult||Rs 250||Rs 250|
Cost Validity – Valid for round the year.
Tour Cost Includes:
- AC car all-inclusive with well experienced and bilingual driver cum guide.
- All the expenses related to the vehicle (toll, tax, parking, permits, driver batta, etc).
- Entry fee at Athirapally, Vazachal, and Charpa waterfalls and butterfly park.
- All the applicable taxes.
- No hidden costs.
Tour Cost does Not Includes:
- The packages do not include entry fees and need to pay directly by a guest.
- Local guide if required, camera charges, Massages, Elephant Safaris, Personal expenses like laundry, tips and telephone calls, Optional Tours, Travel Insurance, etc.
- Optional activities mentioned in the itinerary & anything not mentioned in the above package.
- In case of payment made by credit card or debit card service charge of 2.5% and 1% will be charged extra.
- Strike in Kerala. Due to strikes called by political parties, safe driving of car and driver is difficult. In that case, alternative arrangements with the permission of guest will be made and expenses incurred due to the same is not included and will be charged additionally.
- We recommend you check and review the sightseeing places mentioned. In case anything does not require or want to replace, please let us know in advance.
- Taxi used to revisit the same place already visited will be charged extra.
- No portion of the tour will be refunded in case of any sightseeing place not visited due to any particular reason