Overview of Athirapally Cherai Beach Day Trip:
This program is designed for those who like to visit a good waterfall and a beach that is close to Kochi. In this full-day trip, we are including the best two sightseeing options – Athirapally waterfalls and Cherai Beach.
About Athiapally Fall:
Athirapally waterfalls – termed as Nayagra of Kerala, a day tour program from Kochi to experience this famous tourist destination. More than a waterfall, Athirapally is also famous for its fauna and flora. Being located inside the forest, you can also see lots of different varieties of birds especially Indian Hornbill. More details about Athirapally falls.
About Cherai Beach:
Cherai Beach is one of the best beaches located close to Kochi. This is famous for watersports and safe for swimming.
Pick up and drop place and Time:
Our pick up facility is available in the following places. The drop will be the same place from where the pickup is arranged.
- Kochi Airport or any hotel near to the airport at 08:00 hours.
- Any hotel located in Kochi city, Ernakulam, or Fort Kochi at 07:30 hours.
Day 1: Kochi to Athirapally
Pick up from your place of stay at Kochi by our driver cum guide, proceed to Athirapally. It takes 1.5 hours drive from Ernakulam and 1hr drive from Kochi airport. Below is the best sightseeing options planned for this trip
1) Thumboormuzhi Dam and Garden:
About Thumboormuzhi dam-
- Thumboormuzhi dam and garden are part of the Ezattumugham Prakrithi Gramam project. The project includes a hanging bridge, which is the main attraction, a butterfly garden, kids play area, a watchtower to see the river, etc are the main attraction of this place.
- Hanging bridge is the main attraction as when you walk on this bridge, you can see Chalakudi river flows under your feet, view from the middle of the river, and one of the best places for photography. The butterfly park is another attraction. This place is located before Athirapally waterfalls from Kochi to the Athirapally route. This is one of the best places for photography and family outing.
Thumboormuzhi Travel Tips-
- Entry fee of Rs 40 per adult and Children Rs 10.
- Parking available inside the park.
- Visit this before or after the Athirapally visit. Park and butterfly garden close at 16:30 hours.
2) Athirapally falls-Biggest Waterfalls in Kerala:
You are going to experience the biggest waterfall in Kerala which is having 84 ft in height.
Athirapally waterfalls Travel Tips-
- Open at 08:00 hours and entry close at 16:30 hours. The entry fee is Rs 40 per adult, Rs 10 for Children, and 150 for foreigners.
- Best time and season to visit. The best season to visit is after monsoon ie from Aug to Feb and the best time to visit is till 11 am or after 15:0o hrs.
- You can see the waterfall from two different places. One is from the top and the other is bottom.
- Since the pathway to the bottom is too steep, climbing back for persons with heart disease, breathing problems and handicapped may face difficulty.
- Bathing in the river is possible in selected places. So keep your changing clothes with you before entering.
- Plastic bottles or water bottles are allowed to carry subject to a security deposit. You will lose the security deposit in case these are not taken back.
- Eateries are not allowed inside the forest.
- A wheelchair is accessible at the top of the falls.
- The total time to visit the top of the falls is a minimum of 1 hour and the bottom is 1.5 hours. In case you visit Athirapally falls along with Charpa and Vazachal, you may need a half day.
- Close to entrance, restaurants and coffee shops are available.
3) Charpa Waterfalls:
About Charpa falls-
- Charpa waterfall is located 3 kms from Athirapally waterfalls towards Vazachal on the way to Sholayar Dam. This is relatively a small fall, but best to see during monsoon.
- This is located left side of the road and there is no entry ticket required. During monsoon, when the fall is full-blown, even you cannot stand on the bridge or chances of wetting. There will not be any water or dry during summertime.
4) Vazachal falls –
About Vazhachal falls-
- Vazachal waterfall is located 5 kms from Athirapally towards the Sholayar Dam route. This is a different kind of waterfall which is laid back and gently cascading on the rocks which is not that much of slop. With the backdrop of the lush green forest, the scenic beauty is very good and a good place for a memorable photo.
- You can go very close to the fall until the fencing and watch closely the milky water. This is one of the best places to relax and enjoy as there are a park and coffee shop that is also available. The entry ticket purchased at Athirapally waterfall is valid here also, therefore, we should keep this with you.
Vazachal Travel Tips-
- Located on the right side of the Athirappilly – sholayar route.
- The entry fee paid at Athirappilly waterfall is valid here also.
- During summer, there may not be any water and not worth a visit.
- Best time to visit from Jun to Sep.
- A small park is attached to this where you can sit and watch. A small cafeteria is also available.
- Better to carry an umbrella during monsoon time.
Athirapally to Cherai Beach:
We expect the Athirappally sightseeing is over by 13:00 hours. You can have your lunch at Athirapally or any restaurant located on the way from Athirapally to Cherai beach. Departure for Cherai beach at 13:00 hours before or after lunch and it takes 2 hours to drive to the beach. We expect you to reach the beach by 16:00. Spend your time at the beach till sunset.
Activities in Cherai Beach:
If you want to do any beach activities during the trip to Cherai, below are the details.
Adventure and fun rides
- There is a water sports center available in Cherai. Since this center is having many activities, we recommend you only fun rides or activities which include banana ride, lay low ride, kneeboard, kayaking single or double, bumper ride, speed boat ride, etc.
- They also have catamaran ride, windsurfing, water ski, and scuba diving which required pre-training.
Swimming on the beach
- you can go up to 50 meters inside in selected places.
- If you would like to go fishing, this place is very famous. You need to bring the fishing gear and bite.
Cherai backwater has a country boat or peddles boat rides available.
Important Beach Tips:
- Swimming on the beach is not allowed after 18:30 hours.
- During season or rush time, all the activities need to be booked in advance in case interested.
- Monsoon in Kerala starts during the 1st week of Jun till Aug end and the beach is not idle for swimming.
- Lifeguards and tourist police help available on the beach.
- NO washroom or bathing arrangement available on the beach.
- It will be crowded with local tourists during holidays and weekends.
After sightseeing is completed, we will start moving back to Kochi and drop at the same pickup point. Tour ends.
Important Travel Tips for this Trip:
- You can opt to start early and come back to Kochi as early as possible.
- Your pick up and drop will be at the same place. In case you change this subject to an extra taxi cost.
- In case of any delay in starting, the extension of drop time is not possible.
- It’s just a transfer back from Athirapally to Kochi drop place. In case you use this taxi for having shopping, dinner, or any other purpose, it will cost extra.
- During the tourist season, weekend and holidays, there will be a huge rush due to local guests. Sometimes this leads to a terrific traffic block1km away from the entrance. You need to cooperate with the driver for smooth handling the situation.
- Due to the low water level in the river as well as falls, we do not recommend this package from the end of Feb to the end of May. But these all depend upon rain. In case we have good raining during Feb and Mar, this place is idle for a visit.
- This entire program may disrupt in case of heavy rain or flood due to heavy rain. Athirapally was closed for a couple of weeks during 2018 floods in Kerala.
- During the monsoon from Jun to Aug and to all the beach activities are closed.
- In case you like to have a bath in the river, ensure you carry changing cloths.
- Restaurants, coffee/tea stalls, etc are all available in front of the entrance.
- Local shops called “Vanashree” selling forest products are also available. You can buy good honey from this shop.
- If you are interested to swim in the beach, please carry your extra clothes. You will not be allowed to enter the car with wet cloths.
- Always start moving early to Cherai in case you like to have some beach activities.
Cost for Given Package:
|Particular||Pick up from Ernakulam or Fort Kochi and back||Pick up from Airport hotel and back to airport hotel|
|Cost for 2 adults With AC Sedan||Rs 1600 per person||Rs 1375|
|Cost for 4 adults With Innova AC Car||Rs 1300 per person||Rs 1200|
|Extra adult||Rs 250||Rs 250|
Tour Cost Includes:
- AC car is all-inclusive with well experienced and bilingual driver cum guide.
- All the expenses related to the vehicle (toll, tax, parking, permits, driver batta, etc).
- Entry fee at Athirapally, Vazachal, and Chapra waterfalls and butterfly park.
- All the applicable taxes.
- No hidden costs.
Tour Cost does not Includes:
- The packages do not include entry fees and need to pay directly by the guest.
- Local guide if required, camera charges, Massages, Elephant Safaris, Personal expenses like laundry, tips and telephone calls, Optional Tours, Travel Insurance, etc.
- Optional activities mentioned in the itinerary & anything not mentioned in the above package.
- In case of payment made by credit card or debit card service charge of 2.5% and 1% will be charged extra.
- Strike in Kerala. Due to strikes called by political parties, safe driving of car and driver is difficult. In that case, alternative arrangements with the permission of guests will be made and expenses incurred due to the same is not included and will be charged additionally.
- We recommend you to check and review the sightseeing places mentioned. In case anything does not require or want to replace, please let us know in advance.
- Taxi used to revisit the same place already visited will be charged extra.
- No portion of the tour will be refunded in case of any sightseeing place not visited due to any particular reason.