Kayaking in Alleppey (Alappuzha) Backwaters
About Kayaking in Alleppey (Alappuzha) Backwaters
Why Alleppey Backwater is famous for Kayaking?
Alleppey is a famous backwater destination in Kerala having lots of rivers, canals, and lakes that are waveless, flat, and calm waters. Most of the villages are located on the banks of these rivers, canals, and lakes where road access is not there and the local people use small boats to travel from one place to another place. Kayaking through these rivers and canals is a popular recreational activity along with a unique experience to see the village life of the people, vast paddy fields, bird watching, etc.
What are the types of Kayak available in Alleppey?
Though Alleppey is famous for professional kayaking through the rivers and canals, most of the tourists are beginners and see this as a recreational activity or experience during their tour to Aleppey. Therefore, few operators with expertise in kayaking provide Sit-On-Top kayaks which are more stable than Sit-in kayaks. Still there are few Sit in Kayaks available for which one needs to book in advance.
How many people can sit in a kayak?
Most of the operators in Alleppey use a single kayak (1 person) or double kayak (2 persons). Inflatable kayaks can accommodate two or three adults but as of now, it is not available.
Should I have prior experience go for Kayaking in Alleppey?
No, you do not need to have prior kayaking experience to do a kayak in Alleppey narrow canals. For those who do not have prior experience, though the maneuvering is easy, the main challenge is how to get in and come out. A responsible and licensed operator has an experienced guide, who will give 10 minutes basic training on below subjects.
- Usually, a kayak may flip when a beginner tries to get into and out of a kayak. The guide will give lessons as to how to get in and come out from a kayak.
- During this short training, he will also guide you on how to hold your kayak paddle, maneuvering, forward and reverse stroke, how to stop and wearing a life jacket, etc.
10 Most Important things you should know before starting or booking a Kayak in Alleppey
- If you do not have prior knowledge, inform this in advance so that they give a 10 minutes basic guidance before starting the trip.
- Ensure you should wear simple dress like a trouser and T-shirt during the activity as the chances are higher to get clothes wet during the activity. Lightweight nylon clothes are highly recommended.
- You are not allowed to wear shoes or slippers in the Kayak.
- You should wear the life jacket from starting till end and not be allowed to remove midway.
- Try to bring a pair of additional dress as it always wet during your trip. Changing rooms and washrooms are available at the boarding place.
- Always recommended to avoid this trip during the monsoon.
- In case you are doing this first time, book the beginners short 2.5hrs sunset or sunrise tour.
- Try not to carry or use mobile phones and cameras during your activity.
- Go recreational kayaking in a group or join a group.
- Do not go for a kayak activity during raining.
Which is the best Kayaking tour in Alleppey?
If the basic aim is fun and entertainment or a recreational kayaking along with visiting few narrow canals or a sunset, a short trip of 2.5hrs is an idle. If you had an earlier experience or an expert in kayaking, three to four hrs kayaking trip is idle. Most of the kayaking operators start their trip from the lake side and it takes minimum 1hr to reach the real narrow canals and paddy fields in Aleppey. If you have a short time and want to cover the beautiful narrow canals, we have a different programme where going and coming back by an open boat and then do the kayaking in real village area.
To know the best kayaking tour in Aleppey, you should know in kayaking in which canal, whether in the open lake, where does this goes, what is the best sightseeing during the trip, etc. Due to this reason, we have published an article about “Best narrow canals to experience in Alleppey by Kayak, canoe and open boat” Link This article will give an in-depth knowledge about the best narrow canals which will help you to choose an idle tour from the different tours Sreestours conducting at Aleppey. If you are a professional kayaker and able to do a half-day or a full day, you can customize the kayaking tour according to your choice. Below is some of the best recreational kayaking tours for beginners and those who have experience in this. You can read, understood, and book this by the given link.
- 2.5hrs – Sunset or Sunrise Kayaking. Basically in the open punnamada lake.
- 4hrs – Visit the best canals, one way by kayak and return by open/shikkara boat.
How Can I do Kayaking when I am staying in a houseboat?
As per the houseboat schedule, the boat is stationary from 1730hrs till the next day morning 0800hrs. You can do kayaking from 6 am till 8 am provided the houseboat is parked near the kayak starting point.
10 Most Important things one should know before booking a Houseboat
What is the extra service SreesTours provides?
Pioneer in kayaking trips in Alleppey since 2015, we used to provide below additional service to our guests.
- Private washroom or dress changing room on demand.
- Clock room for private luggage.
- Ensure the kayak is neat, clean and damage proof.
- Always providing a guide.
Kayaking in Alleppey backwaters is an idle recreational activity since the lake, canals and rivers are very calm and wave less water.