9 Best Tourist Places to Visit in Palakkad During 2021 Holidays
If you are looking for the best tourist destination in India, then definitely it’s Kerala ‘the god’s own country’. Blessed with all the beauties of nature, Kerala has all the types of tourist attractions, one can think of. Beautiful backwaters, coconut palms, hill stations, beaches, cuisines, art-forms, monuments, etc are some of the best tourist places in Kerala. Now you must be thinking, what should be your choice of place in Kerala if it’s a short trip? Let me suggest and discuss with you the most tempting place in Kerala i.e. Palakkad and tourist places in Palakkad.
- Let me have the pleasure to tour you around this beautiful place. The sun rises to add to the charm of this place, birds sing the glory of this place and the soil of this place harbors pleasant green fields, mighty trees, and the plethora of rare birds and animals.
- Palakkad dwells in the break of the Nilgiri Mountains and serves as a link between Kerala and Tamil Nadu. It is believed that Palakkad aka Palghat got its name from the Pala (a tree) and Kadu (forest) words of the Malayalam language as the place is abundantly covered with Pala trees and forest. This gateway to northern Kerala attracts thousands of tourists every year because of its ever enchanting beauty.
How to Reach Pallakad?
Reach Palakkad By Airways
- Via Peelamedu Airport in Coimbatore, which is in turn connected to several national and international airports as Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Bangalore, Cochin, Pune, Sharjah, Bangkok, Singapore, and Ahmedabad.
Reach Palakkad By Railways
- Via Palakkad Junction (PGT) and Palakkad Town (PGTN) station, which in turn are connected with major cities of the country.
Reach Palakkad By Road
- Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) runs in this sector and always is a reliable option. You may also opt for private travel services according to your convenience.
Local Transport & Public Transportation Services inside of Palakkad to Travel locally
- The intracity conveyance is also easy and comfortable. KSRTC buses connect to the majority of the places. The local cabs and taxis are always an open option. You may even seek various regional tour operators’ services for your convenience and to save time.
Best Places to Visit in Palakkad
- Let us go through the list of top destinations which you can visit on your next trip to Palakkad, Kerala. The list comprises details like distance from Palakkad railway station, entry fees (if any). visiting timing (if time-restricted) and the amount of time you should spend for each place.
1) Palakkad Fort – Historic Fort in Kerala
- Palakkad fort aka Tipu’s Fort has historical as well as architectural importance. It is believed to be built by Haider Ali in 1766 AD., which was then repaired by Britishers in the year 1790. Presently the fort is under the Archeological Survey of India and maintained and protected by them.
Palakkad Fort’s distance from Palakkad railway station – 6.5 km
Time you should spend at Palakkad Fort – 2 to 3 hours in the fort
Major Attractions at Palakkad Fort
- The fort stand amidst the large ground known as Kota Maidanam, protected by the mighty walls on all sides. To your surprise, the fort has a beautifully carved Hanuman (Anjaneya) Temple, an open-air auditorium, called Rappadi, a children’s park (Nehru Park), a sub-jail, and a martyr’s column inside. This fort is one of the best tourist spots in Palakkad and you should never miss it.
Palakkad Fort Tickets
- No Entry fees
- Charges for carrying still cameras are 20 rs. and 50 rs. for the Video camera.
Palakkad Fort Timings
- Palakkad Fort remains open from 08:00 am to 06:00 pm all days of the week.
2) Malampuzha Dam – Best Tourist place in Palakkad for One Day Trip
- The mighty, 355 feet tall, holding the prestige of being the largest reservoir of Kerala stands on the Malampuzha River, which is a tributary of Kerala’s second-longest river i.e. Bharathapuzha. It is one of the most visited tourist places near Palakkad.
- Well near the dam is its magnificent garden, which is home to the vivid varieties of plants and flowers. Besides admiring the scenic beauty of the place, there are a lot more things to see and do in this place. Make sure you see the freshwater aquarium, Snake Park, and enjoy the toy train in the Children’s park.
Malampuzha Dam & Gardens’s distance from Palakkad railway station – 8- 9 km
Major Attraction at Malampuzha Dam & Garden
- Once you are here, you should also see- The Japanese Park, Nandi Park, Malampuzha Yakshi (sculptured by Kanai Kunhiraman in 2 years), Krishna Park, musical fountains, telescopic tower, and the first rock garden, which are other important Palakkad tourist places.
- To add to the excitement, there is a ropeway, which takes the passengers on a ride to tour this beautiful place for 20 minutes. Moreover, you can spend a day fishing and boat around the reservoir.
Malampuzha Garden Timings
- This garden remain open all days of the week from 9 am to 8 pm.
Malampuzha Dam & Gardens Timings for Ropeway at
- 10 am – 12:30 pm in the morning & 2 pm to 6:30 pm in the evening
Ticket at Malampuzha Dam & Gardens
- Entry Fees are INR 25 for adults and INR 10 for children
- Extra charges for carrying a still camera are 100 Rs and for Video, cameras are 1000 Rs.
- Ropeway fees are 40 Rs. per person
3) Silent Valley National Park – Famous National Park in Palakkad
- Amongst the best tourist places in Palakkad, silent valley national park holds prime importance. Spreading over 90sq. km area, the park is a habitat for numerous species of birds and animals. It has been named under the UNESCO World Heritage Sites and gives many reasons to prove so.
- You need to take permission from the local tourism department if you wish to have a Jungle Safari. This place is ideal for the ones who love Bird watching, photography, and trekking.
- The parks have 4 gates or say 4 parts, that are- Nilikkal, Sairandhri, Poochipara & Walakkad, but to our disappointment, being the tourists, we have access only to Sairandhri.
Silent Valley National Park’s distance from Palakkad railway station – 52.2 KM
The time you should spend at Silent Valley National Park – 3 to 4 hours in the park.
Major Attractions at Silent Valley National Park
- It in habitats Lion-tailed Macaque, several species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fishes., orchids(107), ferns(100), liverworts(200), lichens(75), and algae(200). These large collections of plant and animal species are sure to attract our Botany and Zoology professors as well. A very clean and fresh water body here, the Kunti river, is open for trekking for the visitors.
Silent Valley National Park Timings
- It remains open from 6.45 am to 2.45 pm.
- This national park remain close on Friday
- Safari Timing is 8 am to 5 pm.
Silent Valley National Park Ticket
- Entry fees at this National Park are INR 50 per person.
- The additional charge for carrying a still camera is 25 Rs. and 200 Rs for the video camera.
- The vehicle fee for a Jeep is 1600 rs per jeep and 150 rs charges for hiring guide
4) Parambikulam Wild Life Sanctuary – Tiger Reserve in Palakkad
- The beauty and the charm of this place can’t be explained in words, but it would be a sin not to mention this place if I am talking about the places to visit near Palakkad. I don’t know how nature can be so generous to wrap up so many things, so gracefully in one place.
- Parambikulam Wild Life Sanctuary is a Tiger reserve also. It spreads over the lavishing area of over 285 sq. Km. One thing you should never miss here is the Kannimara teak tree, which is believed to be more than 350 years old.
- I should not innumerate the number of species of various plants, insects, birds, and animals it holds in it, as I know the counting will be always short of the actual one it already contains.
- It also holds the title of being the biggest living tree in the world and has received the prestigious Mahavrukha puraskra award by the Government of India, in the year 1994-1995. The height of the tree is calculated to be 47.5 meters.
Parambikulam Wild Life Sanctuary distance from Palakkad railway station – 80 km.
Major Attraction of Parambikulam Wild Life Sanctuary
- The wildlife sanitary provides you an opportunity to spend some time amidst the children of mother nature and cherish the moments forever. One may do trekking here, have a treehouse experience and also experience the watchtowers.
Parambikulam Wild Life Sanctuary Timings
- This wild life sanctuary is remain open from 7 am to 6 pm everyday.
Parambikulam Wild Life Sanctuary Tickets
- Entry fees at Parambikulam wildlife sanctuary are INR 25 per head
- For Jungle safari INR 200.
- INR 50 for light vehicles, INR 150 for heavy vehicles, and extra charges for still and video cameras.
- Private vehicles are not allowed to go inside.
5) Nelliyampathy Hills – Famous Hill Station Near Palakkad
- Holding mythological, religious, and getaway importance, the Nelliyampathy Hills is one of the most loved tourist places near Palakkad amongst the visitors. If you are searching for places to visit in Palakkad, then you must prioritize this place. It’s a treat for trekking lovers, for they can cover Mampara, Kaikatty, etc.
- It is believed that Lord Rama along with the wife Devi Sita, spent some time here during their 14 years of exile. Thus, this place is a choice of devotees for the pilgrimage too. One can have a holy bath in the river, said to be used by the lord then.
Nelliyampathy Hills’ distance from Palakkad railway station – 60 km
The time you should spend at Nelliyampathy Hills – 2 hours at the hills
Major Attractions at Nelliyampathy Hills
- The Nelliyampathy Hills is packed with mesmerizing waterfalls, dense green forest ranges covering the hills, and trekking trials, thus offering varieties of activities that can be done here. It is also one of the best places to visit during the monsoon in Kerala. The beauty of this place can be anticipated by knowing its another name- second Ooty.
Things to See at Nelliyampathy Hills
- You can also visit tea, coffee, orange, and cardamom plantation here, which are abundant. You should also see Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary, Shimmering Pothundi Reservoir, Padagiri, Palagapandi Estate, Pothundi Reservoir, Sholayar Pass, Malampuzha Gardens, Raja’s Cliff, and the Seetharkund and Kesavampara Viewpoint once you are here.
Best season to visit Nelliyampathy Hills
- September to May is the ideal time to explore this amazing hills
Nelliyampathy Hills Ticket
- No entry fee
6) Jain Temple of Jainimedu
- The beautifully granite-crafted Digambara Jain temple, which is said to be about 500 years old, sings the history and spreads the preaching of Jainism in this religious area. The 32 feet long and 20 feet wide granite temple is said to be dedicated to the Jain sage Chandranathswamy.
- The temple has idols of Chandranthan, Vijayalakshmi, Jwalamohini, Rishabha Nathan, parswa Nathan, and Padmavathi, and images of many Jain Tirthankaras and Yakshinis.
Jain Temple of Jainimedu distance from Palakkad Railway Station – 3 km
Jain Temple of Jainimedu Timings
- 5 am to 12 am in the morning and 5 pm to 8 PM every day.
7) Dhoni Forest & Waterfalls – Popular Tourist Spot in Palakkad
- Dhoni Forest & waterfalls is one of the best trekking and nature enjoying tourist places in Palakkad. They are a boon for nature lovers and trekkers. Dhoni shrugs inside it, tremendous beauty of nature and scenic places. The location has great picturesque importance.
Dhoni Forest & Waterfalls distance from Palakkad railway station – 7.4 km
Time you should spend at Dhoni Forest and Waterfalls – 3 to 4 hours.
Major Attractions at Dhoni Waterfalls
- Dhoni forest tributes from the Western Ghats and gives a heart throbbing view of the lush green hills and the waterfalls contained within. The Dhoni Waterfalls is amongst one of the most famous waterfalls in Kerala. The place is also famous for its swiss bred of cattle and goats. Once you are here, you can also visit the Malampuzha Reservoir, Azhakampara waterfall.
Dhoni Forest & Waterfall’s Timings
- It remain open from 9 am to 3 pm
Dhoni Forest and Waterfall Ticket
- Entry fees are INR 100 per person
8) Kollengode Palace – Famous Palace in Palakkad
- This marvelous fort is believed to be built by Kollengode Raja, Raja Vasudeva, as a gift to his daughter, back in 1904. the architecture of the fort resembles European architecture, which can be well appreciated. The fort is no longer a palace to the kings but has been converted into an Ayurvedic treatment center for the common public.
- You can feel the freshness and rejuvenate yourself here, in the natural royal surroundings. There is even a museum inside the fort premises. You must seek prior permission if you want to see the palace and museum in detail. People consider it as one of the must-visit tourist places in Palakkad, due to the uniqueness of the fort. The fort is also amongst the top historical places in Kerala.
Kollengode Palace’s distance from Palakkad Railway Station – 28.5 km
Attractions near Kollengode Palace
- You can also visit Nelliampathy Hills (that surrounds the fort from a side), The Gayathri River (a tributary of Bharathpuzha river), local village, Vishnu temple, Seethakundu, and Government hills near Kaachankurchi and poet Kunhiraman memorial, once you are here.
Kollengode Palace Ticket
- No entry fee
9) Siruvani Dam – Popular Picnic Spot
- Built-in a classical Kerala and Tamil Nadu architectural style, this dam is a successful project of the Kerala government to meet the drinking water demand of the adjacent townships. The dam stands in the Siruvani River and is said to be built in 1927.
- Apart from its functional importance, the dam is a place of tourist attraction too, as it gives a picturesque view of the dense velvety forest and the mighty hills around. Thus, keeps attracting the tourist all year long.
Siruvani Dam’s distance from Palakkad railway station – 43.2 km
Siruvani Dam Timings
- 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Ticket at Siruvani Dam
- Entry fees are INR 20 per person
Beyond the shadow of doubt
These were some of the best places to innumerate, but if you plan a longer trip, you can go around to see many tourist places in Palakkad as well as in Kerala and nearby.
I hope this article will be helpful to you in planning your next trip. Don’t forget to share your memories, experiences and photos with us, once you are back.