Know Best Routes to Travel from Munnar to Kodaikanal
Kodaikanal, which is located in Tamil Nadu State, is one of the best hill stations in South India. Since Munnar is also one of the best hill stations in Kerala, we used to receive frequent inquiries from the guest as to how Kodaikanal can be included in the Kerala tour package. This article by SreesTours gives you all the details about these different routes, travel timing, travel tips so that you can decide whether to travel from Munnar direct to Kodaikanal is properly fitted in your itinerary.
How Can you Go from Munnar to Kodaikanal?
Below are the three options of how to reach to travel from Munnar to Kodaikanal.
1) By Flight and Train:Unlock Best Deal on Kerala Tour Package Now
There is no airport or railway station in Munnar. Therefore, the only option is to go by road.
2) By Road:
Mainly there are two routes you can choose while traveling by road to Kodaikanal from Munnar. Below are the details.
- Route 1 – Munnar – Chinnakanal – Pooppara – Bodimettu – Theni – Periyakulam – Kodaikanal. Total 168 kms and it take approximately 6hrs nonstop by a small sedan car.
- Route 2 – Munnar – Chinnar – Marayoor – Udumalpet. 10 kms before Udumalpet, you need to turn right from a place called Kurichikottai to Palani road. You will get a bypass before reaching Palani to Kodaikanal. Total 178 kms and it takes 6.5 hours nonstop by a small sedan car.
Which is the best route from Munnar to Kodaikanal?
We have mentioned the two options available above. Both options have their own advantage and disadvantage. We can compare both so that we can choose the best suitable option according to your choice.
- Route 1 – The advantage of this road is less traffic, more road width as compared to other roads. The ghat road starts after Periyakulam and road steep is less compare to other routes.
- Route 2 – Ghat road start after Palani and road steep is too tough with more U-turns. The width of the road is less compare to another route. This road goes via Chinnar wildlife sanctuary and Marayoor which is famous for its sandalwood forest.
You can visit the sandalwood forest as well as the Chinnar wildlife experience in case you want. This route is having breathtaking scenic beauty due to forest and greenery is very good compared to other routes.
Important Travel Tips:
- If you are choosing Route 1, its always better to stay the previous day at Chinnakanal.
- You can opt to stay the previous day in and around Munnar city if you choose Route 2.
- Ensure that your taxi is having an interstate permit to enter as Kodaikanal is located in Tamil Nadu State.
- Its always recommended having one taxi for the entire trip. Please read our article as to how to book a taxi for a package tour.
- This package is not idle during monsoon in Kerala and Tamilnadu.