Overview of 2 Nights 3 Days Kerala Trip:
Three days and visiting five best experiences in Kerala on a short weekend trip. This is also one of the best monsoon tour packages. During monsoon, Athirappilly waterfalls extremely good, as well as a journey in a thrilling rain, which is a must experience in Kerala Backwaters. During this trip, you will visit the biggest waterfall in Kerala – Athirappilly, experience a houseboat day trip in Alleppey to experience the traditional Kerala cuisine and the famous rivers and canals, the famous Kumarakom village and the vast Vembanad lake, Cherai beach and the old heritage buildings in Fort Kochi. Really we think this package will be a memorable experience for you. Other details about 3 days Kerala trip for the destination, daily schedule, or itinerary price of the package, etc are all given below.
Houseboat in Alleppey is an experience beyond imagination. Crisscrossed canals, lagoons, villages on the banks of these canals, paddy fields, etc are the main attractions of Alleppey. These are the things that make Alleppey a primary destination among tourists. Take the experience of a private houseboat for a day trip from 9:30 hours to 13:00 hours with us. Know detail information about Alleppey backwaters.
a beautiful small place located outskirts of Kochi city. This is the place where Dutch and Portuguese started their settlement beginning of the 16th century when they landed in Kerala for trade. The remaining of the colonial heritage buildings, Chinese fishing nets, dutch palace, etc are the attractions. A half-day sightseeing trip is highly recommended.
Athirappilly is a small village located in the Thrissur district of Kerala. It is a perfect place for nature lovers. This place is a combination of streams and forests. Tourists visit here to see the biggest waterfalls of Kerala – Athirapallly waterfalls. Get more details about Athirapally waterfalls.
Cherai beach is one of the best beaches in Kerala which is located close to Kochi. This is the idle beach to club together with Munnar’s destination. Moreover, since the weekend trip needs less travel, Cherai beach is more idle compare to Mararikulam or Alleppey beach.
Kumarakom is a small village located on the Vembanadu lakeside. Those who think of staying in a village during their Kerala trip, Kumarakom is an idle place. The main sources of income of locals are fishing. Rice farming, toddy tapping, etc are also making a part of their income. On the sightseeing part, there are not many things available except for the Kumarakom bird sanctuary.
How to Reach:
1) Arrival and Departure by Flight-
Kochi (Cochin) International airport is the arrival and departure destination for those who are coming by Flight.
2) Arrival Train/Bus-
The best suitable railway station/bus stand is Alleppey as your trip starts at 09:30 hours at Alleppey Jetty. Ernakulam railway station (ERS or ERN), Changanaserry, or Kottayam are suitable.
3) Departure by Train/Bus-
The best suitable railway station is Ernakulam railway station or Bus stand as your last day program ends at Kochi.
Arrival and Departure time:
- You can reach the Alleppey railway station or bus stand at any time before 9 am.
- In the case of Kochi airport or Ernakulam railway station, you need to reach the earliest possible by 07:00 hours.
- Your departure can be any time after 4 pm.
Day 1: Alleppey Houseboat & Kumarakom
Your arrival is at any of the above at a proper time mentioned above. On arrival, our driver will meet, receive, and transfer to Alleppey Houseboat. Today your day trip is in houseboat starting at 09:30 hours. The boarding place is Alleppey jetty and deboarding at Kumarakom. Please see below the program.
Alleppey to Kumarakom Houseboat Trip Plan (4 Hours):
The below Houseboat backwater program has been designed for those who like to visit the best canals in and around Alleppey. Boarding Jetty in Alleppey Jetty. Boarding Houseboat from Alleppey Jetty at 09:30 hours. Houseboat makes a trip through the best canals of Alleppey. From 09:30 hours to 13:00 hours, the houseboat makes a trip through the below beautiful rivers and canals with an hour lunch break.
- Punnamada lake – this river is famous as Nehru trophy boat race is conducted every year.
- SNDP Canal – this is one of the small rivers where you can see local homes, temples, etc.
- Kuppappuram village – here you can have a village walk in case interested.
- Kuttithod – This is another narrow canal where you can see paddy fields and local villages.
- C Block and R Block – these are the island located in the middle of the paddy fields.
- Vembanadu lake – the biggest freshwater lake in Kerala.
Before check out from Houseboat, we will provide a welcome drink on arrival and authentic Kerala non-veg food.
Important Points to Know for Houseboat Tour:
- In case your arrival is before
- This is a private boat and not sharing. On arrival, we will provide welcome drink and veg or non-veg authentic Kerala lunch is included.
- In case you have allergic to any particular food, it should be notified well in advance.
- Since it’s a short trip, you have NO option of visiting local sightseeing places by walking or walking through villages.
- We do not recommend buying extra fish or any other items from the local market. In case you are fond of a particular extra food, we will be ready to help you.
- This program is possible only if the guest check-in at 09:30 hours. In case of delayed check-in, covering all the canals and rivers as per the program is not possible and an extended time of cruise after 13:00 hours is not possible and NO refund for the unused portion is available.
- Paddy fields are available from Oct to Feb only.
- Smoking in Houseboats is prohibited.
- Liquor will not be provided by the service provider. But guest who wants to consume liquor can bring their items and can be used in the boat. For those who cannot bring their stuff, SreesTours provide the same in the boat in the case ordered in advance with extra service charges.
Places to Visit in Kumarakom:
Check out from Houseboat at 13:00 hours. We have planned a short Kumarakom village sightseeing and then proceed directly to Athirappilly. From Kumarakom to Athirappilly it takes almost 3 hours to drive by road. Kumarakom sightseeing options are below.
1) Kumarakom Bird sanctuary:
The season for migratory birds is from Feb onwards for 4 months. But its similar type of forest and walking inside the sanctuary is a good experience. There is a watchtower inside the forest which gives a good view. The best time to visit this is from 6 am to 8 am.
2) Driftwood Museum –
Being run by a private family, these driftwoods displayed in the museum brought from the Andaman Islands.
Proceed to Athirappilly waterfalls and overnight stay in Hotel at Athirappilly.
Day 2: Athirappilly to Cherai Beach
Early morning B/F at 08:00 hours. We have planned Athirappilly sightseeing from 08:30 hours to 12:00 hours. You will be checking out from the hotel at 12:00 hours after the sightseeing and then proceed to Cherai. We expect you to reach Cherai by 15:00 hours so that you can spend time on the beach. Below are the half-day sightseeing planned in Athirappilly.
1) Athirapally Waterfalls:
About Athirapally waterfalls:
- It is called as Nayagra of Kerala
- One of the beautiful places where you can see the biggest waterfall called Athirapally waterfalls.
- There are two more waterfalls called Chapra and Vazachal is also close by. Get more detail about Athirappilly waterfalls.
Athirapally waterfalls Travel Tips-
- Open at 08:00 hours and entry close at 16:30 hours. The entry fee is Rs 40 per adult, Rs 10 for Children, and 150 for foreigners.
- Best time and season to visit. The best season to visit is after monsoon ie from Aug to Feb and the best time to visit is till 11 am or after 15:0o hrs.
- You can see the waterfall from two different places. One is from the top and the other is bottom.
- Since the pathway to the bottom is too steep, climbing back for persons with heart disease, breathing problems and handicapped may face difficulty.
- Bathing in the river is possible in selected places. So keep your changing clothes with you before entering.
- Plastic bottles or water bottles are allowed to carry subject to a security deposit. You will lose the security deposit in case these are not taken back.
- Eateries are not allowed inside the forest.
- A wheelchair is accessible at the top of the falls.
- The total time to visit the top of the falls is a minimum of 1 hour and the bottom is 1.5 hours. In case you visit Athirapally falls along with Charpa and Vazachal, you may need a half day.
- Close to entrance, restaurants and coffee shops are available.
2) Charpa Waterfalls:
About Charpa waterfalls:
- located 3 kms from Athirapally waterfalls towards Vazachal on the way to Sholayar Dam.
- Charpa waterfall relatively a small fall, but best to see during monsoon.
- It is located left side of the road and there is no entry ticket required. During monsoon, when the fall is full-blown, even you cannot stand on the bridge or chances of wetting.
- There will not be any water or dry during summertime.
3) Vazhachal Water Falls:
About Vazhachal waterfalls-
- It is located 5 kms from Athirapally towards the Sholayar Dam route.
- This is a different kind of waterfall which is laid back and gently cascading on the rocks which is not that much of slop.
- With the backdrop of the lush green forest, the scenic beauty is very good and a good place for a memorable photo.
- You can go very close to the fall until the fencing and watch closely the milky water.
- This is one of the best places to relax and enjoy as there are a park and coffee shop that is also available.
- The entry ticket purchased at Athirapally waterfall is valid here also, therefore, we should keep this with you.
Vazachal Travel Tips-
- Located on the right side of the Athirappilly – sholayar route.
- The entry fee paid at Athirappilly waterfall is valid here also.
- During summer, there may not be any water and not worth a visit.
- Best time to visit from Jun to Sep.
- A small park is attached to this where you can sit and watch. A small cafeteria is also available.
- Better to carry an umbrella during monsoon time.
Check out at 12:00 hours from the hotel and start moving to Cherai beach. In case you have time, Thumboormuzhi is on the way and you can visit this hanging bridge.
4) Thumboormuzhi Dam and Garden:
About Thumboomuzhi dam & Garden-
- Thumboormuzhi dam and garden are part of the Ezattumugham Prakrithi Gramam project.
- The project includes a hanging bridge, which is the main attraction, a butterfly garden, kids play area, a watchtower to see the river, etc are the main attraction of this place.
- Hanging bridge is the main attraction as when you walk on this bridge, you can see Chalakudi river flows under your feet, view from the middle of the river, and one of the best places for photography.
- The butterfly park is another attraction.
- This place is located before Athirapally waterfalls from Kochi to the Athirapally route.
- This is one of the best places for photography and family outing.
Thumboormuzhi Travel Tips-
- Entry fee of Rs 40 per adult and Children Rs 10.
- Parking available inside the park.
- Visit this before or after the Athirapally visit. Park and butterfly garden close at 16:30 hours.
Proceed to Cherai beach. Arrival and transfer to Hotel. Relax for some time before proceeding to the Beach.
Cherai Beach Activities:
If you want to do any beach activities during the trip to Cherai, below are the details.
1) Adventure and fun rides-
There is a water sports center available in Cherai. Since this center is having many activities, we recommend you only fun rides or activities which include banana ride, lay low ride, kneeboard, kayaking single or double, bumper ride, speed boat ride, etc. They also have catamaran ride, windsurfing, water ski, and scuba diving which required pre-training.
2) Swimming in the beach –
you can go up to 50mtr inside in selected places.
3) Munambam –
if you would like to go fishing, this place is very famous. You need to bring the fishing gear and bite.
4) Cherai backwaters-
Cherai backwater has a country boat or peddles boat rides available.
5) Ayurveda treatment –
there are many authentic ayurvedic centers where you can go for treatment.
Important Cherai Beach Travel Tips
- Swimming on the beach is not allowed after 18:30 hours.
- During season or rush time, all the activities need to be booked in advance in case interested.
- Monsoon in Kerala starts during the 1st week of Jun till Aug end and the beach is not idle for swimming.
- Beach shakers and umbrellas available from Rs 300 onwards.
- Lifeguards and tourist police help available on the beach.
- NO washroom or bathing arrangement available on the beach.
- It will be crowded with local tourists during holidays and weekends.
- In case your hotel is not nearby; carry your extra towel, changing clothes, etc.
Note: Overnight stay in Cherai beach
Day 3 : Cherai Beach to Fort Kochi to Kochi
Places to Visit in Kochi:
Today is your last day of the trip. We have planned Fort Kochi sightseeing and shopping in the city and finally drop at the airport. Below is today’s program.
1) Fort Kochi:
- Fort Kochi is a fishing village that becomes the first European township in India. The town shape by Portuguese, the Dutch, and later the British.
2) Jewish Synagogue:
- Constructed 1568, this is the oldest synagogue in the commonwealth. It is noted for its mid-18th century, hand-painted, willow-patterned floor tiles from Canton in China, a clock tower, Hebrew inscriptions on stone slabs, old scrolls of the Old Testament, etc.
3) Dutch Palace:
- Built by Portuguese in 1557 and presented to Raja of Kochi, the palace was renovated by the Dutch in 1663.
4) Vasco da Gama Square:
- The huge cantilevered fishing nets are the legacy of one of the first visitors to the Malabar Coast. Erected here between 1350 – 1450 AD by traders from the court of Kabul Khan. The best place to watch the nets being lowered into the sea and the catch being brought in is the Vasco da Gama Square
5) Kodar House:
- Constructed by Cochin Electric company in 1808 example of indo-European architecture.
6) Chinese Fishing nets:
- This shows the Chinese presence in Fort Kochi dates back.
Other attractions are Bolgaty palace, Pierce Leslie Bungalow, Santa Cruz Basilica, etc are located in the same area. After Fort Kochi sightseeing, you can go straightway to Kochi airport, which is approximately 45 mins drive in normal traffic. It may take up to 1.5 hours during heavy traffic time.
Important Points to Know:
- All the tourist entry points except Fort Kochi Beach will be closed down at 5 pm.
- Jewish synagogue will be closed on Fridays. But they now start opening after 2 pm on Fridays.
- Dutch Palace is closed on Friday and Saturdays.
- In case your flight is at 15:00 hours or before, this sightseeing is not possible.
Shopping at Kochi and visit Lulu mall. Departure for Kochi airport or railway station. Tour ends.
Important Travel Tips for this Package:
- In case you reach early morning before 6 am, it is advisable to have a Non-ac fresh up room for an hour or two for which charges will be charged extra.
- If your arrival is in the afternoon or evening, its advisable to stay at Kochi and start your trip the next day morning. We can help you to book a discounted hotel.
- It’s possible to customize the package according to your choice with regard to the itinerary, hotels, etc..
- We have mentioned different sightseeing options. In case you are not interested in visiting any particular sightseeing point or temple, we can modify this itinerary to suit your requirement.
- In case you want to add any other sightseeing places or destinations or temples, we can do the same for you. Please contact us.
- In case if you have any other mode of arrival, we are open to provide the service.
- This program is inclusive of a private houseboat.
- In case your train is not coming either of the railway stations ie Alleppey or Kottayam you can come at Ernakulam railway station.
Shopping in Kerala during this Trip:
Kerala is a consumer state and we do not recommend shopping clothing, electronics items. Below some of the unique items, you can buy from here.
- Visit echo shop called “Vanasree” just in front of the entry gate of Athirapilly waterfall. You can buy some unique products from the forest especially the honey. There are many more items and this is the best shopping when you are in Athirappilly.
- Kerala Saree – this is famous here and you can buy from any textile shop.
- All types of species – you can go to a spice market at Fort Kochi to buy this.
- Handicrafts/souvenir/ artifacts – you can buy these from Alleppey, Kochi, Fort Kochi etc.
How to Reduce the Cost of the Package?
Below are the six tips as to how you can reduce this package price.
- Travel as a group. Try to travel as a group like two couples or three couples; this will reduce the price considerably.
- Reduce taxi costs by travel by local bus. You can reduce the taxi cost by traveling by train or local bus. From Aleppey, you can take a train to Athirappill to reduce the cost. In that case, Kumarakom sightseeing is not possible. Therefore travel by local bus or train is not recommended.
- Instead of Cherai, you can stay in Kochi city as hotels in the city is cheaper.
- Use similar hotels. Srees Tours choose hotels in a good location. When this is changed, the price will reduce.
- At present private houseboat, a day trip is the almost similar price of an overnight stay boat. You can go for a shikara trip instead of a houseboat to reduce the cost.
- To reduce the cost, you can still join a group. But unfortunately, there are no conducted tours or group tours operates by tour operators in Kerala.
Cost for given package:
|Houseboat Day trip||1 bed room Non ac Deluxe Private Boat||1 bed room Non ac Deluxe Private Boat||1 bed room Non ac Deluxe Private Boat|
|Athirappilly 1 night||Bethania Resort Or Clirind Resort||Hydel Park||Casa Riyo Resort|
|Cherai Beach 1 night||Blue Waters Cherai||Cherai Beach Resort||Sea Lagoon Resort|
|Cost for 2 adults 1 dbl room with sedan ac car||Rs 21800||Rs 23900||Rs 29800|
|Cost for 4 adults 2 rooms with AC Tavera car||Rs 31600||Rs 34900||Rs 48700|
|Child Charges Up to 10 years without bed||Rs 1900||Rs 1900||Rs 4000|
|Extra Adult Charges||Rs 2700||Rs 2700||Rs 6000|
Tour Cost Includes:
- A/c Accommodation on twin sharing basis with Daily Breakfast.
- Private Non ac dlx 1 bed room Houseboat day trip with lunch.
- AC car for all the transfers and local sightseeing as per the given itinerary.
- All the expenses related to the vehicle
- Hotel Check in at 12 pm and check out at 11:30 am.
- In case of arrival early morning before 6 am,additional charges will be applicable for the car.
- All the applicable taxes.
Tour Cost Does not Includes:
- Optional activities mentioned above.
- The packages does not include Air/Train tickets, Airport tax, Entry fees , Monuments, Guide fees, Camera Charges, Massages, Elephant Safaris, Personal expenses like laundry, tips and telephone calls, Optional Tours, Travel Insurance etc.
- Children upto age of 5yrs is complimentary while staying with parents without any child bed or extra bed.
- Non ac fresh up room for an hr, if required, will cost extra.
- Optional activities mentioned in the itinerary & anything not mentioned in the above package.
- Taxi cost inclusive of pick up from Kochi airport.
- In case of payment made by cr card or debit card service charge of 2.5% and 1% will be charged extra.
- Strike in Kerala. Due to strikes called by political parties, safe driving of car and driver is difficult. In that case, alternative arrangements with the permission of guest will be made and expenses incurred due to the same is not included and will be charged additional.
- The Hotels you selected according to your budget.
- We recommend you to check reviews and location of hotels in the Trip advisor to make sure it is as per your preference and on arrival in case you want to change the hotel, retention charges or additional charges for the new hotels needs to be paid.
- Taxi used to revisit the same place already visited will be charged extra.
- No portion of the tour will be refunded in case of any sightseeing place not visited due to any particular reason.
- Our houseboat trip starts from Aleppey and drop at Kumarakom. In case, due to many circumstances, if the houseboat drop at Kumarakom is not possible, we will arrange a taxi from Alleppey to Kumarakom after houseboat check out without any additional charges.