Nehru Trophy Boat Race 2018 – Schedule, History and Event Details
Nehru Trophy boat race is conducted in the Punnamada Kayal (lake) in Alleppey every year 2nd Saturday of August month. The race for the year 2018 will be held on 11th Aug 2018 at Punnamada Kayal (lake) Kerala. Main attraction of the boat race is the competition of Chundan Vallams or Snake boats participating in this event. Here is the more information about Nehru Trophy Boat Race 2018 in details.
Event Date & Venue of Nehru Trophy Boat Race:
Venue: Punnamada Backwaters in Alleppey, Kerala
Date: August 11, 2018
Nearest Railway Station – Alleppey
Nearest Airport – Kochi International Airport
Online Booking: http://www.nehrutrophy.nic.in/pages-en-IN/online_ticket.aspx
History of Nehru Trophy Boat Race:
The history of Nehru Trophy Boat race is associated with the then Prime Minister of India Pt Jawaharlal Nehru, who visited Alleppey during 1952. Pt Jawaharlal Nehru, after visiting Kottayam, was going to Alleppey by boat. To commemorate the visit of the Indian Prime Minister, a boat race was organized by the local administration during 1952. Panditji was very much attracted to the boat race and donated a Silver Trophy which is a replica of a snake boat placed on a wooden abacus. The trophy bears the following inscription above Panditji’s signature.
“To the winners of the boat race which is a unique feature of community life in Travancore Cochin.”
How to Participate in Nehru Trophy Boat Race?
Each boat is belonged to a Club which gives training for a minimum of 2 weeks before the final boat race event. Individual can also participate in the event if some club give the opportunity for participation and training. But if there is a group of individuals want to participate, they need to hire a boat and with the help of local people, they can participate in the event. In 2011, one of such group from Europe had participated in this Nehru trophy boat race.
How to Attend the Nehru Trophy Boat Race and What Should You Keep in Mind?
All are welcome to attend the event. The race starts from starting point and finish at the finishing point defined by the organizer. The entry for the event is strictly prohibited without tickets. Different categories of tickets are available for tourist which starts from Rs 1500 per person. Those who want to have a clear view should opt for the higher rate of ticket. The ticket can be bought from District Tourism Promotional Council at Alleppey. Tickets will be start issuing from mid of July 2018.
If you are planning your Kerala tour this season, SreesTours have one special Festival Tour Package which also includes this Nehru Trophy Boat Race – 2018. Book your spot now!
Do and Don’t for the Event:
- Purchase Tickets from Authorized Ticket Counter or Authorized Government Tourism Officers
- Kindly check serial number and seal stamp on your tickets before leave the counter
- Must be reach at Alappuzha before 9 AM
- You can take food items and waters at event venue.
- Occupy your seat by 12:00 noon
- They are also providing parking facility in Municipal Stadium north of Zillah Court Bridge till 11.00 A.M.
- Please show your event tickets on both entrance gates.( Boat Jetty and Pavilion)
- Please contact the control room or police on 2243441 / 100 for any help.
- Don’t purchase without serial number tickets from any person
- Don’t pay cash for complimentary passes
- Don’t come with any explosive products & unnecessary electronic devices
- Smoking/Drinking is strictly prohibited in the pavilion
- Don’t come with more luggage.
How to Reach the Location?
Nearest Bus Stand – Alleppey Bus Stand. Only 2 kms to the finishing point.
Nearest Airport – Kochi Airport. 83 kms from Alleppey. It takes 2 hrs to reach Alleppey.
Where Can I Find Best Kerala Tour Packages during this Boat Race/ Festival Season?
Image Courtesy: Flickr/Kamsky