7 Enthralling National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries Worth Visiting in Kerala
Who says you can’t see heaven before you die. Heaven is here, on earth. Visit Kerala where nature awaits you with open arms. It is an Indian State with ample of natural beauty, art, and culture with the most appreciated services of Yoga, Mediation, Spas and Ayurvedic treatments. You have multiple places to visit in Kerala from cities of heritage to wildlife sanctuaries and national parks with 1000 of spices of plants, birds and animals to capture for lifetime memories.
Here you can find list of best wildlife sanctuaries and national parks in Kerala. With the many efforts we created a list, explore the list below.
#1 – Eravikulam National Park, Munnar:
The first of its kind in Kerala, where the vanishing Nilgiri Tahr is protected. Spread over 97kms2, this park embraces the largest feasible in habitants of Tahr, with numerous other species of sporadic animals, birds and butterflies. Tea Plantations look beautiful from here.
- Activities To Do: Watch Neelakurinji flower with other variety of flowers, butterflies, reptiles and amphibians, a ground workshop for undertakings like preservation education, exploration, watching and participatory management can be organized.
- How To Reach: Nearest airport is Cochin International Airport, nearest railway station is Aluva in Kerala, about 120 kms from Munnar, and Eravikulam is approx. 13 km from Munnar, with connectivity from Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- Best Time To Visit: April to June and September to November are the most preferable time to visit Rajamalai national park in Munnar.
#2 – Periyar National Park, Thekkady:
Being a Tiger Reserve, tourists visit here to view the Indian Elephants, Gaur, Wild Pigs, Sambar, Barking Deer, Mouse Deer, Dole or Indian Wild Dog along with Tiger. The birdlife consist of Darters, Cormorants, Kingfishers, the great Malabar Hornbill and racket-tailed Drongoes. A Python and occasionally even a King Cobra can be seen here.
- Activities To Do: You can do Boat cruises, Banmoo rafting, elephant riding, Jeep safari for Cardamom Hills and also visit Connemara Tea Factory in Thekkady.
- How To Reach: Cochin and Madurai are Nearest airports, nearest railhead is Kottayam and Kumily, the nearest town from Periyar.
- Best Time To Visit: October and June is the best season to visit periyar national park in Thekkady, Kerala.
#3 – Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Thiruvananthapuram:
Neyyar wild-life sanctuary is the home of over a 100 species of wildlife including Asian Elephant, Tiger, Leopard, Slender Loris and reptiles such as King Cobra, Travancore Tortoise, etc.
- Activities To Do: Picnic with family and friends, watch some of the scarcest remedial herbs.
- How To Reach: Nearest airport is Trivandrum International Airport, nearest terminus is Thiruvananthapuram Central.
- Best Time To Visit: You can visit Neyyar wildlife sanctuary between November to March.
#4 – Chimmony Wildlife Sanctuary, Thrissur:
With an area of 85.07 km², the Chimmony wild life sanctuary was established in 1984. It is one among the 25 bio-diversity hotspots on earth. Soggy deciduous forests adopt more than half of Chimmony landscape, whereas tropical evergreen and semi evergreen forests fill the rest.
- Activities To Do: Trek around Nelliyampathy hills that form natural habitat for leopard, tiger, elephant, bear, bison, great squirrel, sambar, and deer and many more.
- How To Reach: Nearest airport is Cochin International Airport, Thrissur Railway Station is nearest rail route and Thrissur Bus Station is well linked to cities of states.
- Best Time To Visit: From September till March is the best time visit Chimmony wildlife sanctuary in Thissur.
#5 – Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary, Wayanad:
It has diversity of animals. Tourists are circumscribed to the external tourist zone. Watch for here and there hiding tigers and Elephants freely roaming on roads. Malabar squirrel would be everywhere around you. Woodpecker can be seen easily here. The wildlife sanctuary offers you so much of knowledge with fun.
- Activities To Do: Jeep Safari and trekking to watch numerous animal and bird species in their natural home.
- How To Reach: The nearest railway station is Kozhikode. Calicut International Airport is a nearest airport in Wayanad.
- Best Time To Visit: November to May is the best time to visit Tholpetty wildlife sanctuary in Wayanad, Kerala.
#6 – Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary, Munnar:
Chinnar wilflife sanctuary has area of 90.44 km2 and it is assorted in eco-systems and opulent in indigenous cultural inheritance. It is a recognized source of remedial plants and cares a vigorous populace of Grizzled Giant Squirrel, Star Tortoise, Tufted Grey Langur, Gaur, Spotted Deer, Slender Loris, Wild Elephant, Crocodile, Tiger, Leopard and many a birds, bugs and shrubberies.
- Activities To Do: Capture 225 species of birds along with many other species of butterflies, animals, reptiles and mammals.
- How To Reach: The nearest railway station in Kerala is Aluva, nearest airport is Cochin International Airport and it is well-linked to Munnar via road.
- Best Time To Visit: Winters is the most desirable time to visit Chinnar wildlife sanctuary in God’s own country, Kerala.
#7 – Anamudi Shola National Park, Idukki:
Anamudi Shola National Park is surrounded by Eravikulam National Park, Pambadum Shola National Park, Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary, and Mathikettan Shola National Park. It is a home for numerous wildlife and flowery species. The rich wildlife comprises Elephant, Tiger, Panther, Indian Bison, Nilgiri Tahr, Gaur, Spotted Deer, Sambar, Giant Grizzled Squirrel, Hanuman Langur, Sloth Bear, and Flying Squirrels etc.
- Activities To Do: Clicking pictures at Waterfalls on the Chinnar River, trekking and lot more.
- How To Reach: Adjoining airport is Coimbatore airport, nearest railway station is Pollachi railway station and nearest bus stand is in Munnar.
- Best Time To Visit: October to March is most suitable time to visit Anamudi Shola National park in Idukki.
So, why wait? Pack your bags and plan your Kerala trip now to visit the most thrilling wildlife sanctuaries and national parks in God’s own country, Kerala.