Brief Overview of Package
This 7 days Kerala trip is designed for those who want to visit most of the interesting places in Kerala. This tour gives best experiences of Kerala – Munnar hill station, Periyar wild life sanctury, Aleppey backwater houseboat and Kovalam Beach. Other important aspect of the package are below.
Munnar – Munnar is one of the best hill stations in Kerala which tourist cannot avoid visiting. It stood first in the domestic tourism due to its greenery, tea plantations, waterfalls, view points, cool climate – combination of all these make Munnar a No 1 destination.
Thekkedy (Periyar) – Periyar tiger reserve is located in the western ghats. This is one of the best place where you can have a boat safari in the river to see wild life. There are many activities conducted by forest department for the tourists to experience the sanctuary.
Houseboat – Houseboat in Aleppey is an experience beyond imagination. The main attraction of Aleppey is criss crossed canals, lagoons, villages on the banks of these canals, paddy fields etc – all these makes Aleppey a much sought after destination among tourists. During stay in houseboat you will be provided with full board with veg and non veg dishes prepared exclusively for the occupants of the houseboat.
Jatayu Earth Centre – This place is famous for world’s largest concrete statue of Jatayu built on a rock called Jatayupara which is approx 1000ft above sea level. The man made bird sculpture is 200 ft long, 150ft wide 70ft height is located here. Cable car facility to reach the top is available with a fee of Rs 450 per head and needs an online booking.
Kovalam Beach – One of the best beach in Kerala. The light house beach, howa beach etc are in Kovalam. You can also see the light house at Kovalam beach.
How to Reach and depart.
Arrival by Flight – Kochi (Cochin) International airport is the most suitable arrival destination for those who are coming by Flight.
Arrival by Train/Bus – The best suitable rly station / bus stand is Aluva. You can also come to Ernakulam Rly station (ERS or ERN) but in that case coming out of Kochi city during busy hrs take too much time.
Departure by Flight.- Your last destination is Kovalam/Trivandrum. The nearest and most suitable airport from where you can proceed back is Trivandrum.
Departure by Train or Bus. Trivandrum is having two train stations. Trivandrum Central and Kochuveli. You can depart back from any of these rly stations. Trivandrum is having an interstate bus terminal also from where you can get a bus.
Arrival and Departure time.
- Best arrival time is prior to 1000hrs. In case if you want to come any time earlier than 10am, our pick up facility is available.
- In case you are reaching mid night or early morning, you need to stay in any hotel accommodation with extra cost.
- Trivandrum sightseeing mostly over by second last day. You can return either by 12pm or after from Trivandrum.
- In case you have booked your flight back from Kochi, departure should be anytime after 1700hrs.
- If you have a direct bus coming to Munnar from your destination of travel, we can start this trip from Munnar itself.
- Minimum 2 nights stay at Munnar required in case you want to have a proper sightseeing and relaxing trip. You can also stay only 1 night in Munnar but the sightseeing part needs to be cut down.
- If you want to select this package and want to customize as per your choices, it can be easily be done.
- This package is exclusively private for the booking guest.
- As of now there is no conducted tour available for those looking to join a group tour.
- Kochi or Fort Kochi sightseeing is not included in this itinerary. In case you want we can cover some of the places but that will surely affect the set sightseeing schedule at Munnar.
Highlights of this Package
- Well experienced, behaved driver cum guide for the trip.
- One entry and boating charges at Periyar wild life sanctuary for two adults.
- Entry to one show each of Kathakali (Kerala Art form) and Kalaripayattu (Kerala Martial art) in Munnar or Thekkedy
- Private houseboat with all meals.
- 500ml bottled min water per person per day in the car.
Day 1 : Kochi Airport / Ernakulam Rly station
Your arrival is at Kochi airport or Ernakulam rly station. Our executive will meet, greet and receive at arrival destination. Upon arrival, you have an option to go for a free non ac fresh up room either near to the airport or nearby with a drive in time of 10 mins. On arrival, you will be travelling to Munnar, which is approx 125 kms and it may take 3.5 hrs drive. On the way to Munnar, you can have your lunch at Onnukal, where veg and non veg restaurants which have rest rooms available. Post lunch move to Munnar, on the way you can see Valera waterfalls. You can spend some time there and proceed to Munnar and check in resort. Leisure and relax in resort.
Overnight stay in resort.
Note : All Munnar water falls are depend upon rain and when the rain stops, the water fall may or may not have water.
Day 2 : Munnar
Since there is only one day to cover all the sightseeing in Munnar, the appropriate time to start is at 08:00 hrs. Below are the possible sightseeing available for the day.
- Rajamali National Park. Its located 10 kms away from Munnar town. Basically it’s a mountain where one can spot rare species of mountain goat called – Nilgiri Tahr. Entry permit can be obtained through online booking.
Note : Main attraction of Rajamali is Nilgiri Tahr and once you reach on the top of the hill, you can have a good view point. Since this involve approx 2kms trek, those who have breathing problems should avoid this. Also those who are not interested in this Nilgiri Tahr and view point, this trip can be avoided.
- Tea Museum – Once Rajamali is over, TATA Tea Museum located near to the city, which gives an idea of how tea is processing from raw tea leaves, is an attraction.
Now its lunch time and Munnar city provide restaurants which caters veg and non veg food, jain etc.
Post lunch, you will be visiting below places.
- Top Station. This is one of the best view points.
- Echo Point – This is a place near Mattupetty dam where if you make a sound, it bounce back with eco.
- Mattupetty Dam – Mattupetty dam and its park gives you some time to relax. If you are interested, here speed boat trip with full security is available. There is a small play ground for children is also available.
- Kundala Dam. This is another dam enroute, good place for photography.
Your second day in Munnar is fully packed with sightseeing. This is the time for shopping. Main shopping items are Ayurvedic products, coffee/ tea etc. We will surely recommend not to buy spices from here as you are visiting Thekkady (Periyar) all the species are cheaper. Return back and overnight stay in resort.
Day 3. Munnar to Thekkedy (Periyar)
Today your trip is to Thekkady (Periyar). Thekkady is located approximately 135 kms and it may take minimum 3.5 hrs to reach. You can go Thekkady by choosing two different directions.
- Munnar city – Chinnakanal – Thekkady. This route is one of the best routes as you can see below sightseeing options on the way.
- Lockhart gap view point – one of the best view points after Top Station.
- Periya kanal water falls – this is available during Jun, Jul, Aug and Sep.
- Anayirangal Dam – 1.5 km from the main road, this is one of the best scenic spot in Munnar. Sometime you can see wild elephant also there.
- Lockhart tea plantations – around 30 mins drive through this tea plantations – one of the best experience and best place for photography.
- The other route to Thekkady is via Kunjithanni, Rajakkad, Udumbanchola. You can save approx 20 kms and you can same 30 mins.
Note : Guest whose hotels located in Anachal, Kunjithanni, Chithirapuram etc cannot go this route as one need to first go to Munnar city which 17 kms more and it takes another 40 mins
Periyar National Park
Periyar national park is famous for elephants and tigers. The sanctuary surrounds Periyar Lake which was formed when the Mullaperiyar Dam was constructed. One should note that like other wild life sanctuaries in India – Ranathambore, Gir etc, you cannot go inside the forest in a jeep or any other transport to see wild life animals. Since Periyar National Park is surrounds by Periyar Lake, the forest department conduct boat safari in this Periyar Lake to see wild life animals. The boat trip starts at 0730hrs which is for 2hrs and all other trips are for 1.5hrs only. There are 4 boats available for trip in the lake. One needs to book online ticket for the safari. When the boat moves through the Periyar lake, you can see wild animals. The interesting thing to note that till now except elephant, birds and wild gaur etc, none of the visitors have seen a tiger. Therefore, if you are coming to Periyar national park to see tigers, sorry to inform that this is hardly possible.
Apart from the boat safari in the Periyar Lake, the forest department conduct many activities like overnight stay in forest with armed guards, night trekking, bamboo rafting etc. If you are interested for these activities, it’s always recommended to stay minimum two nights in Thekkedy.
Arrival at Thekkedy, Check in Hotel. After lunch below are the activities we recommend for you.
- Boating in Periyar National Park. You need to book a boat safari ticket online in advance. Otherwise during peak time, getting a ticket is difficult. Since you are staying just one night, we recommend to book a ticket in 1530hrs trip. The boat trip start at 1530hrs and ends at 1700hrs.
- 1800hrs – visit an art centre to see kathakali (art form) and kalaripayattu (martial art). It takes almost 2hrs for this.
Afternoon we have planned below programmes for you.
- Elephant Safari. If you are interested in elephants ride, elephant washing etc, there are many private parties organize this for the tourists. They have their own area where the ride is organizing and the elephant safari or ride is not in the national park or forest. If you are thinking of seeing some wild animals during the elephant ride, its not possible. Average price is Rs 600 for half an hour and some you can also negotiate the prices. Approximately an hour is required for this.
- Plantation Tour. Since Thekkedy is a semi hill station and forest, many private persons have plantation where they grow ayurvedic herbs, cardamom, cinnamon, tea and coffee plantations. They organize a trip to these plantation for familirisation of the tourist. You need to pay an entry fee of minimum Rs 100 per person. After the plantation tour, they used to take the tourist to their office where different ayurvedic medicines are displayed. We never recommend purchasing any type of medicine from these shops. Approximately an hour required for this.
- Kathakali and Kalaripayattu (Kerala Art Form and Martial Arts). Thekkedy have two art centres where they organize Kathakali and Kalaripayttu for the tourist. Each shows of an hr and it cost approximately minimum Rs 250 per person. They usually have two shows starting from 1800hrs onwards but some time due to fewer crowds, they may not conduct the second show. Therefore it recommended to visit this centres at 1800hrs for the first show.
If you are not interested in the above common program, you can look at below activities and programmes conducted by Periyar Foundation, a Govt of Kerala Undertaking. They organize below programmes in the national park. Please note that in case you are interested in Bamboo rafting and long hiking, you need to stay Thekkedy for minimum of two nights.
- Bamboo rafting and Hiking – Half day. Bamboo rafting and hiking start at 0730hrs to 1230hrs and 0930hrs to 1430hrs. Full day start at 8am and ends at 5pm which have approximately covering 10kms walking and 3-4kms by bamboo rafting. This programme inclusive of food and 1ltr of water per person. Accommpanied by two guides and an armed guard. Minimum 2 persons and maximum 15 persons can accommodate this programme.
- Guided Nature trails for 2.5hrs covering 4-5kms with local tribe as guide. During this trip one can experience birds, marshy green lands, forests, butterflies etc. Minimum 4 persons required for one group. Best time is either morning 0700hrs or 0730hrs or afternoon at 1430hrs.
- Green Walk – Guided day trek. This programme is for 3hrs covering 5kms walk through tribal community which covers green lands and forest. Best suitable time morning slot start at either 7am or 730am. Minimum 4 persons in a slot.
- Border Hiking – hard trek from 8am to 5pm. Trek through off road terrains with an altitude of 900 to 1300 meters. Often can spot wild gaur, sloth bear, elephants, birds etc. Maximum 6 persons and minimum 4 persons required in a group excluding 2 guides and 1 armed guard. The progrmme inclusive of meals and 1ltr of water per person.
- Jungle Scout. Basically it’s a night trekking. A 3hr night trek programme which gives tourists a feeling of wilderness. Tourists are accompanied by two guides and one armed guard. There are three scheduling available starting from 7pm, 10pm and 1am. To conduct this programme, they need minimum 2 adults or maximum 6 adults.
Important Points to Know
- The most important part of the stay in Thekkedy is – boating in Periyar wild life sanctuary. This is being conducted by the forest and Kerala Tourism department. The boat make a trip through the river in the middle of the forest to see the wild life. You can easily spot different types of birds, wild gaur, sambar deer and lots of wild elephants.
- If you are staying only one night and next day if you are moving for Houseboat, the best suitable boat ride to book is at 1530hrs on the same day of arrival. In case you have not booked a houseboat or you are staying here or any other destination, it is always recommended to book an early morning boating tickets which start at 0730hrs.
- If you are interested in trekking, staying in the forest with armed guards, night trekking etc, there are many such programmes organized by the Forest Department for which you may needs to stay one or two more days in this destination.
- All the activities required advance booking. During holidays, weekends, festival holidays most of the activities got booked in advance.
- If you think that you are coming Periyar National Park to see tigers and lions, it’s a misconception and you should skip this destination. After many years, during Jul, 2019, the tourists in such a boat safari seen a tiger and apart from that there is no spoting reported.
- If you are not interested in any of the above activities, you can skip staying Thekkedy.
- Thekkedy market is very close where you are staying. This is the best cheapest shopping place for all tupes spices, tea and coffee.
- Instead of Hotel, you can also choose a tree house in Thekkedy for unique experience.
Overnight stay in Hotel.
Day 4 : Thekkedy (Periyar) - Houseboat
We have planned periyar lake boat safari at 0730hrs.
- Boating in Periyar National Park. You need to book a boat safari ticket online in advance. Otherwise during peak time, getting a ticket is difficult.
After the boating at periyar wild life sanctuary, B/F at Hotel and proceed to Houseboat. It takes approx 4hrs to cover 150kms and there is no sightseeing planned enroute to Houseboat.
Today you are going to experience stay in a Houseboat. It may take approx 3.5hrs drive by road to cover around 150kms. On the way from Thekkedy to Houseboat there is nothing much to explore except a couple of view points.
Arrival and check in houseboat.
1 NIGHT ALEPPEY – KUMARAKOM HOUSEBOAT TRIP PLAN
Check in Houseboat at 1200hrs and houseboat make a trip through the best possible canals in Aleppey from 1200hrs, the houseboat make a trip through below canals in Aleppey.
- Punnamada kayal – river famous for Nehru trophy boat race.
- SNDP canal – one of the small canal in this trip.
- Pamba river – almost 150ft width river.
- Irumbanam Thod – best narrow canal.
- Munnattumugam – Where three canals joints together making very attractive and beautiful place.
1330hrs Lunch at Meenappalli Kayal – small lake in the middle of Aleppey backwaters.
1430hrs – Post lunch trip start at 1430hrs and continue till 1730hrs. Houseboat makes a trip through some of the beautiful villages in Aleppey called Kainakari Village Venattukadu etc.
At 1730hrs, houseboat finally halt at a halting point for overnight stay. Once the houseboat halted, guest can walk around till the sun set.
Evening Options and Activities
- Fishing in the lake and backwaters. (mostof the houseboats is always having a fishing roads and you will surely get small fishes).
- Houseboat is having a tv and music system to enjoy some pictures. You can also bring your own to make your stay more comfortable.
Day 5 : Houseboat to Kovalam
If the sky is clear, have a bed tea and you can enjoy a perfect sun rise from your houseboat. Since the houseboat is starting at 0800hrs, we recommend a light walk around the place if you are interested.
Today morning trip start at 0800hrs till your check out at 0900rs. During this one hr trip, it cover part of the biggest vembanadu lake. Before your houseboat trip ends at 9am they will provide authentic Kerala B/F. Check out from houseboat tour ends. After a relaxing trip in Houseboat, it’s time to move next destination ie Kovalam. It takes approximately 5hrs to cover 165kms.
Visit Jatyau Earth Centre. We strongly recommend to visit this place as one of the beautiful place along with a cable car drive to the 1000ft above sea level. This earth centre is located on the way from Aleppey to Kovalam, but you need to go via MC Road. If you are going via Aleppey Quilon – Kovalam route, you may not be able to visit. It takes approximately INR 450 per person including the cable car and children are also charged. Approximately 2 hrs to visit this man maid bird sculpture and a museum inside the sculpture.
If you are not interested to visit, you can go directly to Kovalam and you may reach by 2-3pm. Just relax some time at the hotel. Proceed to Light house and howa beach by around 4pm. You can also visit the light house located at the beach. Light house entry is closed at 5pm. Overnight stay in hotel.
Day 6. Trivandrum
Trivandrum is located 16kms from Kovalam and the famous visiting place is Padmanabhaswamy temple. Apart from temple, there are many interesting things you can do in Trivandrum.
- Visit Padmanabha Swamy temple. This temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu on Anandasayana.
Padmanabha Swamy temple – Open at 4am and darshan available till 11am. Evening it open at 4pm and darshan available till 8pm. Pants, Jeans, Bermuda etc are not allowed inside. Gents should wear Dhoti and ladies saree / churidar. In case of churidar, Dhoti needs to wear over the churidar. Dhoti available in front the temple shop for Rs 50 per piece onwards. Small wallet, camera, mob phone, bags etc are not allowed inside the temple. Best time to visit temple is early morning 6am to 8am.
- Kuthiramaliaka palace. Built during 1840 by Swathi Thirunal Rama Varma, the erstwhile maharaja of Travancore, is located very close to Padmanabha swamy temple. Finest example of Kerala architecture, constructed by teak wood, took 5yrs to complete. It contains 80 rooms and 20 are opened to visitors. Entry closed on Monday.
- Napier Museum. The Museum is build in 19th century and dedicated to historical artifacts. Open at 10 am till 1630hrs, its closed during Monday.
- Sri Chithra Art Gallery. The art gallery features unique collection of traditional Kerala and contemporary paintings of Raja Ravi Varma and many others like Rabindranath Tagore, Raja Raja Verma etc, The gallery have collection of more than 1000 unique paintings. Open at 10am and close at 5pm. Entry closed on Mondays.
If you are interested to visit Temples in Trivandrum, below are the famous temples apart from Sri Padmanabha Swamy temple.
- Pazavangadi Ganapathy Temple – Dedicated to Lord Ganapathy
- Attukal Devi Temple – Dedicated to bhadrakali temple
- Palkulangara Devi Temple – Dedicated to devi temple
If you are with family and children, another attraction is Veli Lake and Tourist Village. This is basically a picknic spot where boating, beach, floating café, Sculptures are available and its one of the best place to spend an evening with family and kids.
Overnight stay in Kovalam Beach.
Day 7. Trivandrum
Today is your last day of the trip. In case you are going back by morning flight, we will drop you at Trivandrum airport or Rly station. In case your flight or train is in the evening, we suggest a trip to poovar.
- Poovar is located 40kms towards Kanyakumari road and its famous for is golden sand beach. To reach Poovar beach, you need to hire a small boat. It cost approximately 2000 for 4 people for a mangrove forest boating and beach visit. It takes approximately an hr to reach from Kovalam and 2 to 3hrs to visit this place. The best time to visit this place is either in the morning or evening.
Kerala is basically a consumer state, therefore, we do not recommend you to buy clothes, electronic items etc from Kerala. Below are the recommended simple items you can buy.
- All types of species – the best place to buy these items are at Thekkady (Periyar)
- Coffee / Tea – You can buy finest processed tea from tea factory at Munnar.
- Umbrella – Alleppey is famous for manufacturing of Umbrella.
- Banana Chips – You can get fresh banana chips from Alleppey or Trivandrum.
- Kerala Traditional Saree – the best buy is from any big textile shop at Trivandrum. Do not buy this from Munnar or Thekkady.
- Best Gift items are artifacts of Kathakali, houseboats etc. these are available to buy from Munnar, Thekkady and Alleppey.
This is the last day of the trip. Check out from hotel before 12 pm, shopping at Trivandrum city, and finally drop at Trivandrum rly station. Tour ends.
Cost for Given Package
|Destination||Deluxe Option I||Deluxe Option II||Premium||Luxury||Luxury Option II, 5 star or similar|
|Munnar 2 night||Bell Mount Or Las Palmas||Hotel C7||Aranyaka Resort OR Lake View||Tea country OR Tea County OR Amber Dale||Fragrant Nature resort Or Panoramic Gateway|
|Thekkedy 1 night||Woodside Residency OR Seasons Or Sandra palace||Grand Thekkedy OR Periyar Meadows||Tree top OR Pepper wine||Green Woods||Amanna Plantation|
|Lake View Houseboat www.lakeview houseboat.com 1 night||Private Dlx AC Houseboat||Private Dlx AC Houseboat||Premium Private AC Houseboat||Private Luxury Fully glass covered Full time AC Mosquito or insect free houseboat||Private Luxury Fully glass covered Full time AC Mosquito or insect free houseboat|
|Kovalam 2 night||Hawa Beach resort Or Ocean Bay Beach resort||Port Palace Or Sagara beach Resort||Samudra Beach Resort||Poovar Island Resort Or Estuary island resort||The Leela|
|Cost for 2 adults With sedan ac car Valid from 01 Oct to 15 Dec and 15 Jan to 31 Mar||Rs 43900||Rs 45700||Rs 53800||Rs 70700||Rs 98600|
|Additional Cost for child 6- 11yrs without Bed||Rs 2700||Rs 2700||Rs 3000||Rs 4900||Rs 6000|
|Adult with Extra bed||Rs 4900||Rs 4900||Rs 6000||Rs 9400||Rs Rs 11800|
Valid from 01 Oct to 30 Sep
Call us 94477 97564 / 81294 97390
Tour Cost Includes
- A/c Accommodation except Hill Station (Munnar &Thekkedy) on twin sharing basis with Daily Breakfast.
- AC car for all the transfers and local sightseeing as per the given itinerary.
- Well experienced and bilingual driver till the departure
- All the expenses related to the vehicle (toll, tax, parking, permits, driver batta, etc)
- Child below 5 yrs sharing same bed with parents will be complimentarily
- Hotel Check in at 12pm and check out at 10am.
- Driver is available from Morning 6am to evening 6 or 7 pm.
- Non ac fresh up room for an hour, if required, in case of your arrival is before 7am.
- All the applicable taxes
- Cruise time from 1200hrs to 1730hrs with 1hr lunch break. Next day trip from 0800hrs to 0900hrs.
- Welcome drink, Lunch, evening coffee / tea and snacks, Dinner and Next day breakfast & Mineral water included.
- Menu is fixed and in case of any additional food will be charged extra.
- AC working time : Deluxe and premium : 2100hrs to 0700hrs.
- Luxury : 24hrs AC
Tour Cost Does Not Includes
- The packages does not include Air/Train tickets, Airport tax, Entry fees , Monuments, Guide fees, Camera Charges, Massages, Elephant Safaris, Personal expenses like laundry, tips and telephone calls, Optional Tours, Travel Insurance etc.
- Children upto age of 5yrs is complimentary while staying with parents without any child bed or extra bed.
- Optional activities mentioned in the itinerary & anything not mentioned in the above package.
- Taxi cost inclusive of pick up from Kochi airport and Drop at Trivandrum airport. In case of back to Kochi airport Extra Rs 1000 will be charged.
- In case of payment made by cr card or debit card service charge of 2.5% and 1% will be charged extra.
- Strike in Kerala. Due to strike called by political parties, safe driving of car and driver is difficult. In that case alternative arrangements with the permission of guest will be made and expenses incurred due to the same are not included and will be charged additional.
- The Hotels you selected according to your budget.
- We recommend you to check reviews and location of hotels in the Trip advisor to make sure it is as per your preference and on arrival in case you want to change the hotel, retention charges or additional charges for the new hotels needs to be paid.
- Taxi used to revisit same place already visited will be charged extra.
- No portion of the tour will be refunded in case of any sightseeing place not visited due to any particular reason.